Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Very close last night 11.17.13

by Willy / November 18, 2013 7:49 AM PST

The storms that hit the midwest came right up to my neck of the woods. damage to areas by or around me due to winds of 125mph or T3 type if I understood the news correctly. The only damage I suffered was a blown away rain gutter and many of the already dead ash trees breaking or snapping off. Some areas are w/o power and others have home and building damage. if not to high winds, then actual tornado touchdowns, so far no one was killed.

I heard small freight trains sounds but kept awake until I fell asleep much later. I think my area was on the edge of the path of main thrust of the winds, but I did hear and feel them even if not as bad elsewhere. Well, thank God no lives were taken locally and I and others came through OK. Gsssshhh, if winter is going to be like this, it maybe a bad winter after all. ------Willy Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Very close last night 11.17.13
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Very close last night 11.17.13
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) have a storm cellar?
by James Denison / November 18, 2013 7:58 AM PST
Collapse -
In progress
by Willy / November 18, 2013 9:46 AM PST
In reply to: have a storm cellar?

I'm preparing that, but can't really build a storm cellar, but a "bunker" sort of building. A small concrete structure with metal door and breathing tube just to run to it and be out of danger. Understand, I live on limestone that's hundreds of ft. thick and roughly 18in-2ft. around and under the house. Ironically, a tree fell 1yr. ago that will be the place I build on, but need to uproot its stump, NOT grind it down but totally remove it. At least the area I've selected is now cleared of everything else. I'll be prepping when it becomes less wet and able to dig as deep as i can and place the foundation footing. etc.. Place AC line and telco line to it and lazy-boy chair. Wink -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Don't forget
by itsdigger / November 18, 2013 9:50 AM PST
In reply to: In progress

the Generator ,fridge and Flatscreen Willy. Might as well make it a mancave too Cool .....Digger

Collapse -
you should go with
by James Denison / November 18, 2013 11:22 AM PST
In reply to: In progress

a reinforced concrete dome then. I think personally I'd go with a concrete teepee like the ones along Rt 66. Wind just moves around them.

There's also the easy A-frame from concrete. You use 6 inch bolts, some 1/2" or 3/4" schedule 40 pipe and drill holes on plywood so that you fit 5" pieces of pipe inside between the boards, shove the bolt with big washer through the drilled hole and bolt with big washer on back. Makes an empty sandwich of the plywood and you join them from outside at the top, leaning against each other in a "A" shape and fill them with concrete. Make same for front and back end walls, put in a strong door and strong plexi or carbonate window. Resist wind, sheds water quickly, protects from flying debris, keep safe inside, relatively cheap to build easy to enter, less prone being filled from flooding.

Collapse -
Simple, plain simple
by Willy / November 18, 2013 12:41 PM PST
In reply to: you should go with

Nothing fancy for me, just strong and capable and just as important not be trapped should something fall against the door. No real luxuries just the basics to weather the storm sorta speak. No storage place or hideout just able to run and close the door with pets in hand and call the folks. Something, I can build in 1 season and route utilities to it and be done with it. Maybe, I post a link to it once done.

The idea being able to uncover one's self and survive. As I just heard the news no one in Ohio was killed but Illinois and Indiana had some deaths. We went thru a EF-2 factor and the small town next to me was hit hard, lost power(again) and all that. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
2 doors
by James Denison / November 18, 2013 1:42 PM PST
In reply to: Simple, plain simple

those 8 inch wide 16 inch concrete blocks with horizontal rebar set in the middle, then vertical rebar put down each hole and back filled with poured concrete is quite popular method, and its fairly simple too. A concrete slab roof would be the hardest part of the job, although if you pour the slab on the ground and then have a crane lift and set on top, not so hard. I've seen some in those doomsday sites use those large concrete drain pipes, higher than a man's head to make storm shelters from.

Collapse -
(NT) I agree with your suggestions, James. Rob
by Ziks511 / November 21, 2013 5:13 PM PST
In reply to: 2 doors
Collapse -
Flat slab poured on 3/4 inch plywood supported by temporary
by Ziks511 / November 21, 2013 5:33 PM PST
In reply to: 2 doors

steel supports available from Rent it places. Curing time 2 to 3 days. Support the corners and edges of the ply-wood every 4 feet and the pour to cover and attach to the rebar sticking and the block walls. Criss cross of rebar across window installations inside and out otherwise there's a danger of the polycarbonate deforming enough to be sucked out of the window depending on thickness. PC window the full size of the opening, framed and held in place by 2x4's inside and out with cut outs for rebar to sandwich the window, and bolts to secure the 2x4s together, and solid anchors into the walls. Wrap the X of rebar in thick fabric or thin pipe insulation so that the window doesn't rattle

Hey, James, we should go into business together !! I like Digger's idea of a genny, and a flat screen and a library of good movies, but skip Twister. Don't forget a fridge, and the refreshment of our choice and maybe a microwave to heat up meals.

Be sure nothing can fall and block your exit door.

Collapse -
Poured a lot of tops
by itsdigger / November 21, 2013 6:25 PM PST

for the mechanical and hydraulic and electrical chambers when working on Chicago's Deep Tunnel Project . Re-bar the slab ,form it and key it, tie in the walls re-bar, in the key,lay down water proofing, form the walls and install door frame and any pipe work and conduit, wire tying all pipes and such to re-bar so they don't float. After making sure to use wire ties between the forms to keep the forms (inside and out) together and also run stringers inside of the chamber to keep the inside form from blowing out while you can now pour the walls. Strip the wall forms. Inside of chamber roof ... from floor to ceiling use screw jacks every corner and split the space in between with as many as possible jacks . Take 2x4 (min.) and lay across screw jacks. Take plywood and nail or screw plywood to supported 2x4's. Tie in ceiling re-bar to wall re-bar and pour the concrete.

Collapse -
by itsdigger / November 21, 2013 6:31 PM PST
In reply to: Poured a lot of tops

Remove " while you can now pour the walls" and "put in while you pour the walls" ...Digger

Collapse -
good thought
by James Denison / November 21, 2013 9:26 PM PST
"there's a danger of the polycarbonate deforming enough to be sucked out of the window depending on thickness."

I have a friend who has some unconventional windows. Where a large window would have been, instead there are about 5-6 reinforced concrete, well, not sure what you'd call them but columns of sort with strip windows between each one. The windows are 6-8" wide I estimate, but the overall space including both windows and columns is about 4 foot width. Even a burglar couldn't knock one out and then squeeze through I don' t think. Yet you get a fairly decent view and sunlight through the strip windows. If it's simply a shelter then one or two foot square windows should be sufficent for passive lighting, viewing outdoor weather situation, while depending less on weaker material spread across larger space.
Collapse -
Winds were pretty heavy here too
by itsdigger / November 18, 2013 8:03 AM PST

But I just cranked up the music and watched as my leaves blew down the street Devil .....Digger

Collapse -
I'm probably 120-130 miles south of you and the
by Steven Haninger / November 18, 2013 8:55 AM PST

forecasters had us prepared for the worst. Not much happened compared to the two Derechos in the recent past. I had to pick up a few small tree limbs. I think bare trees do better in the high winds than when they are leaved. I have to feel bad for some in central and southern Illinois.

Collapse -
Offical word...
by Willy / November 19, 2013 1:10 AM PST

Is that at least 5 tornadoes had touched down in our area. Now, that's a alot in anyone's book and seems even odder to happen here. That doesn't make an expert but I don't recall anything similar to this is some time. It's so pock-marked areas of damage, you wouldn't know it until someone pointed it out, outside of urban areas. Again, we were very lucky no one got killed. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
there were 6 over F2 in strength
by James Denison / November 19, 2013 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: Offical word...

I also saw an image where a concrete block wall that had rebar and poured concrete inside the blocks had been destroyed. However they didn't rebar every block opening, but did have concrete pour in them all.

Collapse -
some places, here for one
by Roger NC / November 19, 2013 8:22 PM PST

you can't hardly do underground without a pump.

Hard to keep a generator outside running during a tornado to keep the storm cellar from feeling up.

Collapse -
Maybe build...
by Willy / November 19, 2013 10:03 PM PST

Try a hand at building one of the "Niagara Falls barrel" and go for a ride. if the wind picks me up and having a "Hero camera" sell it once I'm done. Maybe, I'll get endorsed by Red Bull. Wink -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
remember when I was in grammar school
by Roger NC / November 20, 2013 6:48 AM PST
In reply to: Maybe build...

a report in teaching about tornadoes that one man was taking a bath.

His house was destroyed, the tub lifted, him still in it.

He and the tub landed safely way down the road.

Yes they had news way back then.

Collapse -
and then his clothes rack
by James Denison / November 20, 2013 8:23 AM PST

landed right beside with with the clothes still perfectly pressed and placed on the rack. Wink

Collapse -
by Dafydd Forum moderator / November 20, 2013 8:33 AM PST

... his spuds were peeled!

Collapse -
LOL, it does sound that way , and
by Roger NC / November 20, 2013 9:47 AM PST

it may have been exaggerated if not out right fabricated.

It was presented to school kids as examples of what a tornado can do.

Let's see, that would be around 1966 maybe?

Collapse -
my favorite tornado and hurricane tale of yore
by James Denison / November 21, 2013 5:24 AM PST

always involved the straw that was nailed into the tree and sometimes added the thin tree with part of it exiting the other side. I also remember someone years go drilling a hole through or into a tree and gluing a straw there where everyone driving by the next day would see it, having some fun with the old tale.

Collapse -
(NT) seen the straw driven into a tree myself
by Roger NC / November 21, 2013 7:42 PM PST
Collapse -
and than his wife
by itsdigger / November 20, 2013 9:11 AM PST

drove up to him with the dog in the back of the pickup and said " I never did like living on a farm anyway" , laughed and drove off into the sunset and the farmer lived happily ever after Devil ....Digger

Collapse -
I wish...
by Willy / November 21, 2013 1:39 AM PST

That results like that were more common and the norm but they're not. I can also recall times, when babies were found(think) and then find good/bad the outcome. I too heard stories of persons surviving, one back I believe in 2001, -/+ 2yrs. where practically the only house standing(of neighborhood) was one made from doors. The homeowner being frugal had build it using savaged doors though covered by drywall. I guess it was so strong and the effort to nail it all down did more than typical building code. Sometimes, you have to wonder if new housing practically build using staples and simple nails and just slapped together will weather anything beyond a simple down pour.

I went through hurricane Hugo many yrs. back and the older Charleston homes build shut their shutters and clamped down and survived while the newer $500K+ of 3k space fell down too easily besides losing a roof or what have you. I bet you no one used hurricane roof strapping code for most of those homes. Oh yeah, a home owner left his dog in the bathroom with food&water and found the dog in the tub waiting for this master, house destroyed. -----Willy

Collapse -
My Aunt
by itsdigger / November 20, 2013 12:46 AM PST

(78 years old) She lives in Mt. Vernon Ill. and is headed to Washington Ill. to volunteer at the local food bank. She was a grammer school teacher there for over 30 years and knew a lot of families there. She's such a sweetheart...Digger

Collapse -
Just found out
by Willy / November 21, 2013 1:21 PM PST

My friend that moved to a different part of the town some yrs. ago into a new home. By word of friends, that he was impacted by the storm. It seems his next door neighbor's hot tub got blown into the side of the house. The whole tub and smashed against the wall. It didn't break through but never the less was damaged. Let it known that his son, crippled by injury couldn't be moved that fast and they just laid across him(in bed) hoping for the best. The best they got was a damaged wall. Close... -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Glad you're safe. Hell of a note.
by Ziks511 / November 21, 2013 5:08 PM PST

I wanted to post earlier, as in on the 18th, but couldn't get SE to work for me.

Collapse -
(NT) Isn't all this hellishly late in the season for tornadoes???
by Ziks511 / November 21, 2013 5:55 PM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.