AVG forum

General discussion

Very bad customer service & ripped off by AVG

by Nanciegill / March 4, 2011 9:12 PM PST

Has anyone else had an extremely frustrating experience with AVG customer "non" service staff?
I used the free version for a while, then upgraded to the paid. I enrolled for 2 years and paid for 2 years with my charge card.
I soon experienced problems with my email and my ISP (Sympatico in Canada) and I worked for weeks to try to resolve the problem, eventually tracking it to the AVG program. My ISP spent a lot of time helping me remove AVG from my system and recommended NEVER to use this product again.
When I contacted customer service, they were the most unhelpful people I've ever encountered. I asked them to be reasonable and refund me one year of the two year fee, but they countered every comment with refusals to consider that AVG was a problem, demanding that I reload it and other ridiculous remarks! They refused to "bump me up" to a supervisor, so I was dealing with these idiots over & over again. They have no contact phone #, so it's like you're roadblocked.
The dialouge went on & on for months and finally I did what I believe they wanted me to - give up! I have warned all my friends about this issue. Too bad, the free product worked quite nicely but I recommend you NEVER NEVER buy it or try to find any reasonable people at their customer service!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Very bad customer service & ripped off by AVG
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Very bad customer service & ripped off by AVG
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE: Very bad customer service & ripped off by AVG
by Dusan_AVG / March 5, 2011 7:05 PM PST

Hello Nanciegill,

Could you please provide us with the support ID numbers(AVG#) so we can check the communication?

Thank you

Collapse -
I see I have the attention of AVG staff...
by Nanciegill / March 6, 2011 6:17 AM PST

Thanks for responding. I must admit I'm skeptical, but don't want to discount that there might be a good customer service person at AVG! If I find the tracking # you are looking for, what do you propose? Are you just responding to this to try to find a reason to discount my report or do you genuinely want to attempt to rectify poor customer service?

Collapse -
Re: I see I have attention of AVG staff
by Ondrej_AVG / March 6, 2011 2:25 PM PST

Hello Nanciegill,

we are using provided information to improve our services and to avoid incorrect (improve) communication in our internal systems.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences caused by this situation.

Thank you

Collapse -
by doozer30 / June 10, 2011 7:33 PM PDT

I have had the exact same experience with AVG. I have e-mailed 3 times, once to ask for support and twice to ask for the full refund which they advertised. I have not had a single response via email. I have made extremey expensive international calls to customer services who are neither helpful nor able to action what I ask them to do. I was told nearly two weeks ago that I would recieve a comfirmation e-mail for my refund and that it would take a further 2 weeks to make the payment back to my card. Of course I recieved neither. Its now been nearly 2 months since I purchased, 3 emails, 3 phone calls and not a peep from AVG. I am disgusted, I cannot believe a company that bases its business on protecting people from criminal activity, has to this point stolen my money. I will not let this lie and will keep spreading the word sharing my experiences until I am refunded.

Collapse -
by Dusan_AVG / June 11, 2011 1:21 AM PDT

Hello doozer30,

Could you please provide us with AVG# identifiers so we can check why wasn't the refund processed yet?

Thank you

Collapse -
RE: Very bad customer service & ripped off by AVG - New!
by doozer30 / June 11, 2011 6:05 AM PDT

35-610906

Collapse -
Identifier not found
by Dusan_AVG / June 11, 2011 9:41 PM PDT

Hello doozer30,

AVG identifiers are in format AVG#xxxxxxxxxx where x is any number.

You could also provide us with email address which you have used to contact our support.
However, posting your email address to public forum is not recommended.

Could you also describe how did you contact our support?

Proper way is using this webform:
http://www.avg.com/support

Or contacting our support directly from AVG interface (Help - Support).

Thank you

Collapse -
Re: Very bad customer service & ripped off by AVG
by Ondrej_AVG / June 12, 2011 5:29 PM PDT

Hello Mark,

Collapse -
response
by doozer30 / June 13, 2011 12:12 AM PDT

I do appreciate your help but rather than keep posting on a public forum, can someone please call me on the mobile number which is listed on my account or at least the complaint logs that I raised by both email on your customer service site or via telephone?

Many thanks,

Collapse -
RE:
by Dusan_AVG / June 13, 2011 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: response

Hello doozer30,

Please provide us with email which you have used to contact our support so we can check the communication.
Also describe how did you contact our support.

Click on my name (open my profile) and then use E-mail button to send me private message.

Thank you

Collapse -
Refund
by Dusan_AVG / June 14, 2011 2:40 AM PDT
In reply to: response

Hello doozer30,

The refund was already processed on 6/6/2011. You should be refunded to your credit card, which you have used to purchase AVG, within 2-3 weeks.

Did you not receive email informing you about the refund being proceessed? Please also check your spam folder.

Thank you

Collapse -
I am starting to feel the same way.
by DakRon5105 / July 20, 2011 1:42 AM PDT

AVG had me delete some registry entries and re-enter the key they providers. It did not fix the problem. I am still getting the popup screen over and over again telling me that my license number has changed and I am still getting a License Number: Not Activated. At least they got back to me and did not ask to be paid to fix the faulty software they sold me. I am sending this to PCWorld Magazine for their help in resolving this problem. I just wish that I could get my $75 bucks back, but bought it as Sam's Club and they do not refund software, they need to stop carring it only provide software that works. I just wish I could move on to another AV program that works. Ron

Collapse -
Re: I am starting to feel the same way.
by Ondrej_AVG / July 20, 2011 4:47 PM PDT

Hello DakRon5105,

Collapse -
AVG 2011 is it any different now as it has been in the past?
by caballero58 / July 14, 2011 3:01 AM PDT

I am fuming with the antics of the human factor running AVG. Cheap low down attacks on my system. I downloaded the "FREE" AVG 2011. Then why am I having to fight them to regain control of my computer? and for them to say that "It's not me?" like a little kid? well? I just don't know? I started getting "malware" problems just as I started to recieve the "trial" is about expire notices from no other but! AVG. Until it was up and then AVG completely took over all commands from the mouse to the actual key commands all the time displaying the AVG home page forcing the one or two year purchase offer? All of the good AVG offers and does is worthless when they act like this. And I too went thru the whole three shells and a pea antics last time I payed for it. So who do you convey these problems too? Cnet, AVG?

Collapse -
RE:
by Dusan_AVG / July 14, 2011 4:49 AM PDT

Hello caballero58,

AVG Free certainly can not intercept mouse or keyboard input.
You have most likely encountered malware disguised as AVG product.

AVG Free can be uninstalled as described here.

Thank you

Collapse -
AVG SCAM
by jdygut / August 15, 2011 11:27 PM PDT

About two months after purchasing their two year anti-virus protection service plan, AVG 2011, my computer ran increasingly slower. When I contacted tech support I was told that I would have to pay another $129 for them to clean it up. Finally got my computer back to normal using another anti virus program and uninstalled AVG. I have repeatedly requested a refund (even filed a complaint with BBB in MA) but AVG refuses to refund my money. If they can't provide the service as promised they should return everyone's money. Is there a class action law suit against AVG?

Collapse -
RE: AVG SCAM
by Dusan_AVG / August 16, 2011 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: AVG SCAM

Hello jdygut,

Our support should help you with AVG related slowdown without any additional fees.

Could you please provide us with any AVG# identifiers from emails received from our support?
Then we can check the check the communication.

Thank you

Collapse -
AVG Scam
by jdygut / August 16, 2011 8:09 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: AVG SCAM

Hello Dusan_AVG,

You're absolutely correct, Support should have offered to help me instead of insisting I pay an additional fee,but they didn't, so now it's time for AVG to refund my money.

The Case #'s: AVG# 0003585378, AVG# 0003589844, AVG#0003585487.

Collapse -
Lost money in renewal scam
by Tablady / March 17, 2012 9:04 AM PDT

I agree that AVG is just in it for the money. While the people I communicated with were not rude, there was certainly no attempt to act honourably. They obviously don't care about their reputation. I purchased AVG 2 years ago. Apparently in their contract is an automatic renewal policy which I did not remember agreeing too. Apparently unbeknownst to me, they charged my credit card for the renewal. I didn't catch the charge until this month when I was catching up on my statement reconciliations. I did not want the renewal, I did not authorize the charge, and I was not aware of any option not to continue with AVG. I haven't used AVG for over a year since a nasty Trojan wrecked my computer. I communicated with someone with their on-line chat who directed me to call a rep. I did and spoke with the fellow for about 1/2 hour. He tried to tell me that I had passed the refund date of 30 days. But I didn't even know the clock was ticking because as far as I was concerned, I hadn't purchased anything. I never downloaded the license key so as far as I'm concerned, the package was not opened or used. I should be able to return it. The rep on the phone clearly led me to believe that I would get the refund under the circumstances and said he would forward the request to the refund dept. THen the refund dept emails me declining my refund. So I emailed them the gist of my conversation with the rep and then another rep emails me back to confirm the denial. The credit card company can't help because their policy is stated for automatic renewal. So I'm out the money. Be warned--NEVER agree to automatic renewal. Who knows what your situation will be like two or three years down the road. You snooze--you lose! AVG doesn't care about the circumstances. They are going to rely on their 30 day policy and forget integrity and customer service. In case they are interested, as I noticed they follow this thread, here is my case number: Case AVG#0005201311: [ ref:00D4000000086fU.5004000000J2Cz5:ref ] RE: Refund. It is very disappointing in this day and age of brutal competition and economic hardship that a company like this would abandon customers. Learn from my mistake folks!

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove personal information of reps to protect their privacy on 04/04/2012 at 9:17 AM PT

Collapse -
Re: Lost money in renewal scam
by Ondrej_AVG / March 18, 2012 5:58 PM PDT

Hello Gillian,

I have checked your case and you have still enabled automatic renewal for your AVG license. I will ask our sales representatives to disable it for next period.

Please be informed that automatic renewal is enabled by default during online payment, but it is possible to disable it during the payment itself (before payment is finished, through available checkbox). Then you can disable it through the link in the notification email, which is being sent 30 days before the automatic payment is processed. Or just contact our technical support to disable it.

You mentioned to the technical support agent you have forwarded the notification email somewhere (did not use the link to disable automatic renewal), where did you send it? As the sender address renewal@avg.com is not accessible from outside and your email server should immediately return the email back to you with "Delivery Status Notification (Failure)".
I was not able to find your mentioned forwarded email anywhere in our system. which could be used as proof to process your refund (even after 30 days).

Thank you

Collapse -
Customer Service
by bgl1947 / February 10, 2013 10:56 AM PST

I tried working with AVG Customer Service from 2:00 PM until 9:30 PM without any of the issues resolved when I made the mistake of paying and downloading their current security program. Five times I was told that I would be connected to a "level 2" tech and none of those times was I ever connected. One of the "consultants" guranteed me that if I called two hours later(third consultant's advice after 2 prior hours of attempted trouble shooting) that it would be less than five minutes before I would be connected to a level 2 tech-hahaha , that connection never happened. When I repeatedly requested to speak with a supervisor I was repeatedly told that none were available. When I tried to remove the program my computer went into a loop then froze. Problems continued to escalate. At this point, I want to remove the AVG program and anything related to it. I want my money back-I was offered for an additional $9.00 charge I could be connected to a remote tech that could remove the program. I declined paying for a service provided by a program that has caused multiple problems that did not exist before downloading the AVG program. Things went from bad to worse. Please let me know what recourse is available. I plan to report the issue to the Better Business Bureau and any other agency that can get the word out about this unscrupulous behavior. Any constructive information regarding this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Re: Customer Service
by Jan_AVG AVG Staff / February 11, 2013 3:44 PM PST
In reply to: Customer Service

Hi bgl1947,

We are sorry for experienced difficulties. Could you please send us communication ID (AVG#...), we would like to check our records and further investigate your AVG Customer Support experience.

I recommend following the How to uninstall AVG 2013 article in case that you are able to boot into Windows or the How To Disable AVG When The Operating System Cannot Be Started Properly article.

I'd like to ask you for a MSInfo 32 output if you would like to further investigate cause of this issue.

Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.