Mac OS forum

General discussion

Very annoying thing about my new Mac

by wannalearn / February 13, 2011 1:52 AM PST

Often times (about one in five), when I try to revert back to the page I was previously viewing, I get a pop-up message saying "Are you sure you want to send this form again? To reopen this page Safari must resend a form. This might result in duplicate purchases, comments or other actions."

And the choice is either Cancel or Send. If I click Cancel, I cannot get back to my previous page unless I x-out the Web location I'm on and start all over again. If I click Send, it allows me to return to my previous page with no problem. But I'm afraid to click Send, because the consequences sound kind of scary.

Is anyone else a victim of this goofy, highly annoying Mac feature? And how can I make it stop doing that? Or can I?

Thanks in advance for comments, responses, suggestions, etc.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Very annoying thing about my new Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Very annoying thing about my new Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's not a Mac feature
by Jimmy Greystone / February 13, 2011 3:46 AM PST

It's not a Mac feature, it's a browser feature, and all browsers tend to do this. Like the message says, you got to the page you're on via some kind of form submission (virtually all sites these days are database generated) and so if you want to go back, it may involve having to resubmit that form. It's giving you a chance to think twice about this action, because maybe you just bought something on Amazon, and don't really need to make a second purchase of the same order.

How you managed to never run into this before is a bit of mystery unless this is your first computer or you previously were using a truly antiquated browser like IE6. So, the moral of the story is that however annoying this message might be to see, it'd be far more annoying to deal with some of the potential consequences. However, if you didn't just purchase something online or maybe update profile info on some site, then it's probably pretty safe to hit submit. Just make sure you're a little mindful of where you are from now on.

Collapse -
I agree with Jimmy.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 13, 2011 3:59 AM PST

This is not an OS feature but a browser action and it occurs whatever operating system, and whatever genuine and up to date browser that s being used.

I've just done some online shopping, (a regular grocery shop), and I had to use a password on a debit card check page so the bank could validate my card. When I got to the next page, if I had attempted to return to the previous page, this browser warning would appear. The danger, in my example, is that I would have been debited twice for the same shopping. Or, if I had gone through the procedure again, the bank might consider some scam and refuse to validate the card again. In that case my shopping would have been cancelled.

So, it's an important security warning.

If you are not online shopping, or not entering/updating personal details on a secure web page, when you see this warning, then something may well be wrong. But without details we can't say.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) And three agrees is a charm
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 13, 2011 5:36 AM PST
In reply to: I agree with Jimmy.
Collapse -
Alternative
by iperboreano / February 13, 2011 6:44 PM PST

With time you can learn to recognise pages which are compiled from 'forms', if you want to keep a record of that page either print to pdf or take a screen shot with Cmd-Shft-3 or -4 or the many variations on those short-cuts. (see Keyboard in System Preferences for the basics, search Apple's help articles for more elaborate short-cuts)

It wasn't clear from the post whether you perhaps wanted to go further back than the immediately previous page, in which case instead of simply clicking once on the 'back' arrow, click and hold to reveal a drop-down menu of all the previous pages viewed, with the immediately previous at the top. Simply drag the mouse pointer down the list to an earlier page and you will skip the page which requires a form to be re-sent.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.