Computer Help

General discussion

Very Annoying and persistent ATDMT tracking/spying cookie!

by Axis-1 / August 9, 2009 2:02 PM PDT

Help, I've already searched for a solution to get rid of this pest and I've tried every method other people were talking about, but to no avail. The atdmt cookie is being detected in my PC by AVG free. This is a very disturbing spy cookie, and even after deleting all the instances of it, it jumps again as if it out of nowhere, whenever I open the Windows Live Mail client, windows Live Messenger or Internet Explorer -- yes, even when open only my email client, there it comes again the damned atdmt cookie -- aren't cookies supposed to be deploied only when one visits websites?... well, this one tries to intrude in everything I do in my email and messenger too!!! Hell, even now as I clicked in the title field of this message, the damn cookie popped up again even though I'd just send it to the AVG virus vault and even deleted other instances of it manually, several times since I sat at the computer tonight. I'm using windows XP with all the latest updates in an old PIII laptop. I have 2 other computers connected in a home LAN network (3 PCs in total), but only this one (the one used for surfing the internet) is infected with this pest. AVG free detects it as aministrator@atdmt[2].txt and it appears also in the Temporary internet files folder as Cookie:administrator@atdmt.com/ , though in this last instance it's not detected by AVG and I've been deleting this instance manually.
Please, any help on how to block this pest permanently will be greatly appreciated. I hope I will not have to reinstall windows just to get rid of this annoying cookies... but if needed I'll do it, 'cause I hate unsolicited sh**t in my computers.
Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Very Annoying and persistent ATDMT tracking/spying cookie!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Very Annoying and persistent ATDMT tracking/spying cookie!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
First off . . .
by Coryphaeus / August 9, 2009 10:12 PM PDT

How do you accept cookies. You should never blindly accept cookies from any site. In Tools, Internet options, Click the Privacy tab. Click the Advanced button. Put a check in Override automatic cookie handling. Then, First party cookies, prompt. Third party cookies, block. Click OK.

Back to the General tab. Under Browsing history, put a check in Delete history on exit, then click the Delete button to remove everything right now. Click apply then OK.

Restart IE.

Now, when you go to any site, IE will prompt you to accept or deny a cookie. Unless it's for a trusted site like your bank, or whatever, deny them all.

I'll tell you something else. Internet Explorer Instant Messaging is one of the most vile programs ever used. It can cause pop-ups on the desktop even when you're not using your browser.

Collapse -
Two things
by Jimmy Greystone / August 9, 2009 11:17 PM PDT

Two things.

1: Both of the other programs you mention use IE to display text and any special formatting. That's why the cookie comes back every time.

2: You should give another browser a try. Firefox, as a prime example, lets you pick and choose which cookies to accept, accept only for the session (e.g. are deleted when you close the browser), or deny. This can be done on a site by site basis. There are also extensions that make managing this quite a bit easier, and even an extension that keeps a permanent opt-out status for some of the more onerous sites. There's several other security related reasons for dumping IE in favor of pretty much anything else. You'd be well advised to use IE as sparingly as humanly possible.

Collapse -
still atdmt.com spy cookie
by Axis-1 / August 11, 2009 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Two things

Thank you, Coryphaeus and Jimmy Greystone. I configured the cookie permissions as suggested, but the atdmt cookie still continues to intrude without asking permission as now do all the other normal cookies. At 1st it seemed to have worked, but just now as I was navigating to the CNet forums, there it jumped up again -- no permission asked, only detected and stopped by AVG.
I still didn't try firefox or other alternative browsers, I'll try that later as soon as I have the time to download and install it. But I suspect it will not solve the problem, because I suspect that if this atdmt cookie pops up bypassing the ask permissions settings, then it probably means that it's being generated by some malware inside my own computer... or is it any other explanation?
Thanks for your swuggestions, I'll continue to repor on this.

Collapse -
Pesky Cookie
by jerrew / March 31, 2010 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Two things

I wonder, if there is any illegal MS software involved? I heard this before, where someone was using it, and the cookie always showed up after that. Maybe internally generated by software on board??????

Collapse -
atdmt[2].txt "cookie"
by Doctor Logic / September 16, 2009 7:49 AM PDT

Hi Axis,
If you look at the bottom of the AVG pop-up which notifies you of this cookie it shows you the path to the file which was run when the cookie was released. I think you will find it will be one of the .exe files contained in the Microsoft Windows Live suite of programs. Delete Windows Live or the program within it that triggers the cookie and it "solves" the problem. Then reinstall that part of Windows Live and everything will be alright for a day or two, then the infection will come back, just with ordinary e-mail usage. I have had the problem on my machines and it has not always been the same .exe file within Windows Live which delivers the atdmt[2].txt "cookie" payload. Also once the .exe file begins to trigger the "cookie" the computer does not have to be connected to the internet for the cookie to be generated - you just run the file and the cookie appears. It would seem as if some kind of worm infects Windows Live, or it already comes with this payload built in.
My solution that works 100% is to get rid of Windows Live completely and replace it with an open source application called "aMSN Messenger" which looks and works the same as Microsoft's product - in fact it can do more than Microsoft's version, but the good thing is it doesn't have the spyware problem. The program allows you to choose the shell that creates the visual appearance of its interface. If you want it to look exactly like Microsoft with thsame icons etc. you choose the shell that is a copy o f Microsoft's choice of icons etc.
It is debateable whether atdmt[2].txt is actually a genuine cookie - try reading it, or copying it, or dragging it to another location on the computer. Most of the time it just dissappears if you try to do anything like that with it. Who knows it it really comes from ATDMT, or what its cababilities are?
If you want to try aMSN you can download it at www.amsn-project.net

Collapse -
atdmt
by chris1987ppp / February 20, 2010 2:50 AM PST

1. uninstall live messenger it is infected by Microsoft with atdmt tracking cookies. Now go here and install aMSN, it is open source (free) looks similar, works better, and is not created to spy on you. http://www.amsn-project.net/download.php
2. Download firefox from here (if you don?t have already) avoid internet explorer in fact avoid all Microsoft products they did not get obscenely rich by being ethical and will spy on you whenever and wherever they can if they can make a buck. http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/
3. Go here and download adblock plus. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/recommended this will let you block ads or there frames when you surf.
4. Go here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433 and download flash block this will stop the annoying flash ads when you browse
5. Go here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7560 and download webmail adblock this will remove the ads from live mail.
6. Boycott Microsoft products and support open source software.

Collapse -
Very Annoying and persistent ATDMT tracking/spying cookie!
by Stimme / November 23, 2010 11:02 PM PST

Well I read most of the answers then simply went to control panel/add or remove programs and removed all Windows Live related programmes. Result? No more atd what's-it.

Try it. It is bliss.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.