Computer Help forum

General discussion

Vertical Lines on Monitor

by junyamint / November 1, 2008 10:51 AM PDT

I am having a problem with my 20' Wide LCD monitor from dell. Here is a photo of my problem.

Basically there are these vertical black stripes that run the entire width of the monitor. They are about one pixel in width and there is only every mm or so. The problem just spontaneously started while I was working.

To diagnose the problem I first hooked up another monitor to the video card. That monitor did not have the problem. ( I used the same cable so cable and video card are out).

I hooked up the faulty monitor to a different computer and I get the same problem. (so it is definitely the monitor)

I tried all types of resolutions (none of them made the problem better + the screen spontaneously started doing it so I am thinking it isn't the computer).

Finally, when I jostle the connection on the monitor side there is some flickering of the lines. If i tilt the monitor or hit it hard enough the lines disappear for about 10-15 min. So I think something is loose in there. But i don't know what!

So if anyone has an idea of what might be loose and if I can go in and fix it..that would be great. The monitor is past warranty.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vertical Lines on Monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vertical Lines on Monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could Be Anything, But...
by sunwatcher / November 1, 2008 12:13 PM PDT

If you feel confident enough, I would suggest opening up the monitor and inspecting the backside of the video connector for loose wires/solder joints, and give a general inspection of the other components. You might get lucky and find something obvious and easy to repair. It's worth a shot and could save you the expensive of having it repaired elsewhere. Of course, this could be something that's beyond your capability to fix, and you shouldn't attempt it unless you have the means and ability to repair it.

Good luck with it.

Collapse -
I took the thing apart.
by junyamint / November 2, 2008 8:58 AM PST

So I took the monitor apart. (Which was really hard I would like to add).

Nothing seemed loose in there but I connected everything up again. No go still get the problem. I can still hit it to make it better so I feel like something has to be loose...but I can't pin point it!

Collapse -
your video card has bid adeui
by ramarc / November 2, 2008 9:57 AM PST

that type of problem is sypmtomatic of a bad video card or bad video memory. replace the card, or if a laptop have the mobo serviced.

Collapse -
It's The Monitor
by sunwatcher / November 2, 2008 10:04 AM PST

See the original post. He has already determined it's the monitor.

It's best to think about replacing the monitor, since the cost of repair will probably exceed the current value of the monitor.

Collapse -
not sure
by ramarc / November 2, 2008 10:24 AM PST
In reply to: It's The Monitor

"I hooked up the faulty monitor to a different computer and I get the same problem."
"to diagnose the problem I first hooked up another monitor to the video card. That monitor did not have the problem."

that seems to indicate the monitor is OK since it exhibits the same behavior on more than one system. the poster didn't mention what resolution is normal so there are contradicting problems so maybe the cable is bad. i lean towards the video being bad since "problem just spontaneously started while I was working."

Collapse -
Monitor is definately the problem
by junyamint / November 2, 2008 11:39 AM PST
In reply to: not sure

Hey..thanks for the reply.

I guess my writing might have been a little ambiguous so i'll try to explain again why it is the monitor.

So I am currently using a 2 output video card and am having the problem with one monitor only. When I switch the monitors input (swap which monitor is getting video card output A and B) the problem remains on the faulty monitor. So in my mind that means that the problem is not the video card or the cables. To further support this finding I put the bad monitor on a laptop and got the same problem.

Also since the problem started happening randomly more than a year after I had this set up working fine I am 100% sure the resolution and things is not a problem.

So it is definately within the monitor Sad

Last night I took the monitor apart to look for something loose. Could not find anything. Put it back together. The same problem returned. Again...if I hit it the problem goes away for a while (3-4 min). So that makes me think something is loose but I don't know enough about LCD internals to say what it is.

Collapse -
sorry 'bout your monitor
by ramarc / November 2, 2008 11:27 PM PST

and my misintrepretation. Sad like sunwatcher said, it's hard to fix a monitor so if it's out-of-warranty start shopping for another.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.