Audio & Video Software

Question

Version 1.0.2.26 losing nonitune songs + prefrence settings

by TPinFL / April 3, 2013 5:34 AM PDT

Itunes must have automatically installed this new version. When it opened all my music was missing that did not come from apple. I reedited my prefrences/advanced and checked both,"keep itunes organized..." and "Copy files to itunes Media folder...". Then I can find and add my music back into itunes. It plays, I can create playlists... but when it reopens the new music is gone and the check boxes are empty. This has been going on for 3 days and I have no idea what is happening. I am not great with a puter so please if you have a solution give detailed instructions. Thanks TP

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Version 1.0.2.26 losing nonitune songs + prefrence settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Version 1.0.2.26 losing nonitune songs + prefrence settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'm guessing that's a typo.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 5:39 AM PDT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_version_history puts version 1 to over a decade ago on an Apple computer.

The vanishing tunes is very common on Windows PC when Windows Media Player is set to rearrange my music. Are you sure that you turned that off and there are no external drives?
Bob
Collapse -
Version 11.0.2.26 Sorry
by TPinFL / April 3, 2013 5:44 AM PDT

I do not use Win Media Player. I did turn it on yesterday thinking that I may change music players. What can I do to Winmediaplayer to correct this??

Collapse -
And just running it up can wreck havoc.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 5:48 AM PDT

Here's the setting of interest -> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/why-is-media-player-12-is-rearranging-my-music/4b61da39-348f-4d0b-80aa-fe42e5da0a08

" When I started MP12 for the first time it immediately started scanning for media files and rearranging them, without warning and without asking.... By the time I configured it as I had in previous versions (i.e., like you just suggested), which only took me a couple of minutes, it already had done some damage."

I'll skip writing about backup.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob
by TPinFL / April 3, 2013 6:03 AM PDT

Thanks for the link. Read it and hope I got everything taken care of. Gonna play with it some before I trust it completely!!

Collapse -
I'm not so trusting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Bob

I don't see WMP often as I've replaced the default player with just a player (VLC Player) and iTunes is fine here but I don't have more than a thousand tracks on it. Some folk have these huge collections and we have long discussions about backup.
Bob

Collapse -
More problems...now itunes will not open at all.
by TPinFL / April 3, 2013 7:50 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm not so trusting.

Thought the wmp settings were going to work, it seemed to run fine, iclosed and reopened it with no problem. Made several playlist to check it tomorrow, closed it and reopened a bit ago and itunes will not even open now. Tried to run as admin, would not open. Went to add/remove programs and it appeared to be there or at least taking up space. Any thoughts?

Collapse -
Backup Drives
by TPinFL / April 3, 2013 7:59 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm not so trusting.

Bob you made several references to backup drives. Could the passport be causing some of these problems??

Collapse -
I've only see it make trouble when
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Backup Drives

Folk put the library or mp3s and such on it. Also when the drive offers any encryption feature.

Funny you mention trouble. I was on my other laptop and Comodo isolated a few apps where it didn't before. I think I'm going to turf that suite soon.
Bob

Collapse -
itunes not opening
by TPinFL / April 3, 2013 8:14 AM PDT

any thoughts on what might have happened to my itunes. It will not open now and appears to be gone?

Collapse -
How I troubleshoot that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: itunes not opening

I clear all the event logs in the Event Viewer, reboot then try again.

Then I look over the event logs.

Collapse -
Also have a passport ext hard drive.
by TPinFL / April 3, 2013 5:47 AM PDT

But have not had any problems with it.

Collapse -
As long as no titles are on that, that's not it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2013 5:51 AM PDT

But again, the mystery of vanishing titles is sadly a real issue. There is a solution in our backup and restore systems but I find many owners to be less than happy about this.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Also
by TPinFL / April 3, 2013 5:40 AM PDT

Computer is running win7 64 bit I believe.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.