The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Veronica, you mistype .com in your browser?

by Ravensblood / April 20, 2006 9:37 AM PDT

You've gotta know that any decent browser will automatically enter .com after you type in the domain. Of course this does discriminate, since it favors .com. It does work with others (try redcross) but i am guessing that's oly if there isn't a .com to compete with it.

I can't believe how many people even continue to type in www. as well before the domain name.

The worst thing is when all these tech people constantly have to mention triple-w or dubya-dubya-dubya. Isn't that already assumed?? why waste precious time with extra words. WWW? ok, hold on and let me write that down!! ARGH! Wink

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Veronica, you mistype .com in your browser?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Veronica, you mistype .com in your browser?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
does not!
by earlysound / April 20, 2006 9:47 AM PDT

if i mistakenly type "" it will not fix it for me. i'm that lazy, and i want it to.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No, don't type .anything! it'll fill in .com for you
by Ravensblood / April 20, 2006 9:50 AM PDT
In reply to: does not!
Collapse -
Yep - Even if your in NZ and want it to be
by Redhats Q / April 20, 2006 10:13 PM PDT

Why cant they make the default editable ...

Even in Firefox, it assumes .com

Why can't I go into preferences and just edit it to ... or whatever I want it to be

Thats why I like portals that you can configure with your most visited.

Or a set of well managed bookmarks.

Collapse -
Maybe I should elaborate.
by Ravensblood / April 20, 2006 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: does not!

I dont type www. I don't type .com

I only type cnet and hit return.

...although I never type cnet specifically, because I'd never find the forums from the front page Wink

Collapse -
what if
by earlysound / April 20, 2006 9:58 AM PDT

there's a site that has a .com and a .org?

Collapse -
that's the only catch, but it's rare for me
by Ravensblood / April 20, 2006 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: what if

it's not often that I site I want isn't a .com.

it certainly favors .com's though.

Collapse -
This works for me
by Dirty Pirate / April 20, 2006 9:03 PM PDT
In reply to: what if

Ok, this works for me but I am not going to promise it will work for everyone, and it WON'T work for computers on a domain as corporations run their own DNS services. Sorry V, but this is for PC's not MAC's and I have not been able to get near our MAC's in the lab as they are running overtime doing distributed computing and I need to resolve another issue for another BOL member. but here goes.

1. Go to your advance TCP/IP settings on your interface.
3: ADD: .com, .net, .org, .whateverelseyouwanttoadd
4. Adjust the order of the suffixes in order that you want to search for.

so now when you just type "cnet" it |should| try, if no answer it will try and so on till it gets a response.

Collapse -
On Safari....
by wizardjs / April 20, 2006 10:01 AM PDT

Only .coms work, not even red cross.

Why does Apple hate relief workers!!! I guess its my fault for not using Firefox

Collapse -
I only tested it in Firefox on a Mac
by Ravensblood / April 20, 2006 10:06 AM PDT
In reply to: On Safari....

although I know that .com's did work on Safari. I actually switched to Firefox after listening to Veronica an Molly go on and on about it...although there are a few minor annoyances I am trying to get over.

Collapse -
www. is important
by rtemp / April 20, 2006 4:57 PM PDT

...or at least good practice to include. I've helped administer a website that had to change servers due to a crash, and we had to redirect the DNS entries to the right machine. The problem was that we only directed the entry and not the entry. This led to some people going to a place that didn't exist anymore, and is trouble.

I always type the full URL into the bar (except sometimes the http://) because I want to make sure that I always go where I expect to.

Collapse -
by ryan.steele / April 21, 2006 12:43 PM PDT
In reply to: www. is important

He nailed it! If the sites don't have the domainname.x DNS'd it will not come up. Most sites these days to DNS just the domainname.x But all sites have www.domainname.x DNS'd so you know you 100% good

Collapse -
Try not typing .com; There's a faster (Firefox) shortcut
by seretw / April 21, 2006 8:43 AM PDT

I believe I have read through all the comments regarding typing in .com incorrectly, and I don?t think this has been mentioned. I apologize in advance if it has. If you are using Firefox you don?t have to type .com (.net or .org) at all. If you type cnet in the Location Bar, followed by Ctrl + Enter, .com will completed for you. Shift + Enter will complete an address with .net and Ctrl + Shift + Enter will complete an address with .org.

Try it, see what you think.

Collapse -
that is a good solution for .net
by Ravensblood / April 21, 2006 9:29 AM PDT

however on a Mac, you can simply hit ENTER without the CTRL.

The solution for .org on a Mac is CMND+SHIFT+ENTER. (I am never going to remember that one, it's probably not worth the effort)

Neither the .net or .org solution work in Safari. Fortunately .com is so much more common.

Collapse -
Saving One Keystroke
by busterboykin / April 22, 2006 12:30 PM PDT

Does it make sense to have to hit CMND+SHIFT+ENTER just to avoid have to type .org? Your hands are already in the typing mode and then you have to reorient them to hold down three keys. Doesn't sound like your saving much time or effort.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I would never do it...
by Ravensblood / April 23, 2006 12:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Saving One Keystroke
Collapse -
works in Windoze. Do Macs behave the same?
by punterjoe / April 21, 2006 1:55 PM PDT

I rely on that firefox feature on my win & linux boxes.
Is there a command-key equivalent to these shortcuts for Mac users?
...and isn't it a bit US-centric? I guess if you need to type or *.jp etc you're on your own Sad

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The Whole World is "US-Centric" - - it time to admit it
by cardsbb9 / April 22, 2006 3:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
Funny you should mention it...
by djbeema / April 22, 2006 11:36 AM PDT

I've actually noticed that quite a few domains will not resolve to a website without the "www". For example typing, which is the Circuit City credit branch of Chase Financial, will get you either an error page or a redirection to your default search page depending on your browser.

It basically comes down to lazy DNS management, usually the omission of a host record resolving the domain itself to an IP address, or a missing host header on the web server.

From a technical standpoint, "www" is still the correct method.

Collapse -
I've also found sites where this doesn't work
by Ravensblood / April 23, 2006 12:08 AM PDT

Which forces me to re-type the domain including www. Despite what someone else suggested, I have never been directed to an incorrect or outdated site by omitting the www.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.