Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Phones

General discussion

Verizon vs. Sprint - Which is better?

by kingtana / March 25, 2005 3:43 AM PST

I currently have TMobile but national coverage is limited to interstates. I frequently travel to rural areas and I noticed that Verizon and Sprint seemed to have the largest coverage areas. Which is better, and why? I'd like to hear from both sides. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Verizon vs. Sprint - Which is better?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Verizon vs. Sprint - Which is better?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Verizon
by locust43 / April 3, 2005 11:37 AM PDT

I would get verizon becuase there is no roaming charges, sprint has more roaming charges and they have more dropped calls, we have had both and I think verizon is the best

Collapse -
Verizon
by birdmantd Forum moderator / April 3, 2005 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Verizon

If I had to pick, I would also agree that Verizon is a better choice.

Collapse -
Verizon
by WomenLuvNascar2 / April 4, 2005 8:15 AM PDT

Yes, even though I'm in a rural area and do experience dropped calls, I still think Verizon has the best coverage. I like their plans and their In-Calling Network. I recommend Verizon to my friends.

Collapse -
Verizon
by dave1973 / April 4, 2005 11:29 AM PDT

I have Verizon Wireless and from my experience, it works in rural areas since CDMA is in rural areas more than GSM is. I rarely roam, but when I do, my roaming indicator flashes since roaming agreements have been worked out with most CDMA carriers. I however will say that you should get a tri-mode phone (preferably Samsung a650 & Kyocera phones to name a couple) since some rural areas are still on analog. I still won't recommend Motorola phones because my brother now has the Motorola V265 and he complains he still gets dropped calls at home in Knox, Indiana. My Samsung a650 however works just fine in the same spot, with no dropped calls or bad signals. I couldn't use my old Motorola 120c phone out in rural areas because it didn't handle weak signals well on digital or analog. I should say that my Samsung a650 at my brother's place didn't go into analog at all, which surprised me, as there are only 2 towers just outside of town, and neither tower has Verizon on them. I know Centennial Wireless is on one of the towers (and it's TDMA service). I don't know who the other carrier is.

Collapse -
Verizon
by KingWill00 / April 4, 2005 1:42 PM PDT

I have had both sprint and Verizon, and I would have to say that hands down, Verizon has the largest higher quality network in the country. With Verizon's new In-network, there is absolutely no roaming charges, which means you are always on their network. I love it. It works everywhere I go. I have an all-digital phone, and I haven't had any problems since about 95% of their network is now digital.

Collapse -
Verizon wireless better than sprint by far
by cowboytenn / June 5, 2008 12:25 PM PDT

I agree that verizon has better coverage than sprint, sprint is not a
rural carrier their focus was mainly on larger populated areas alltel
and verizon focused more on the rural areas as well as the larger population

Collapse -
Verizon
by lqqkin / April 5, 2005 9:41 PM PDT

Definitely go with Verizon. I had Sprint for 2 years and would get poor signals even in an urban area. It was about impossible to use the phone in my house (just outside a large city). I have had Verizon for the last 2 years and the coverage is excellent. It's very rare that I ever have a dropped call. If you get a tri-mode phone it's more likely to keep coverage in urban areas that aren't set up for digital yet.

Collapse -
Stay AWAY from Sprint!!!
by rowhard99 / April 7, 2005 1:04 AM PDT

Go with Verizon.. I had 3 terrible years with Sprint. Poor coverage, dropped calls, awful customer service..

Collapse -
Run far away from Sprint
by chiefpotpipe / April 22, 2005 12:40 PM PDT

I have had sprint service a month and could not recieve incoming calls...Technical support kept blowing me off...I switched to Verizon. Not only are they better to deal with, their network sounds much clearer.I was on the phone with sprint support more than I was with my friends!

Collapse -
i agree!
by fairfield213 / April 12, 2008 10:27 AM PDT

i hate sprint so much and i have only had it since decemeber, i hate it. too many dropped calls and TERRIBLE services, they made my bill 900$ yeah STAY AWAY FROM SPRINT!

Collapse -
sprint
by viking66 / April 8, 2005 7:49 PM PDT

I had verizon and for me i got a much better deal with more features using sprint.. I have not had any trouble as of yet, it has been 6 months now and i dont remember any dropped calls.. gave my verizon phone to my kid till the 2 years is up..

Collapse -
I like Verizon
by bderou2 / April 8, 2005 10:10 PM PDT

I've had both Sprint and Verizon. Now, it's been a few years, but when I had Sprint, I was in the process of moving to a nearby city. All I wanted to do was take my current plan with me when I moved and change to a local phone number there. They said I could change to a local number, but I'd have to change plans and I didn't like the plans they offered. They offered me all kinds of temporary incentives, but wouldn't let me do what I wanted to do, so I disconnected.

I have made the rounds, from T-Mobile (left them for the same reason you are), went to Cingular (left them because they told me I could buy a new phone or change plans when I wanted with signing a new contrat, then wouldn't let me when I got ready to do that...so they lied!), and am now with Verizon. They are the more expensive, at least in our area, but I do like their service the best!

Collapse -
Verizon
by rjbrasure / April 8, 2005 10:53 PM PDT

Use to use Suncom, part of the old AT&T network. Switched a year ago to Verizon. Much better service. Happy I made the switch...

Collapse -
sprint
by mmjj236 / April 9, 2005 1:57 AM PDT

I went to verizon for 6 months and then went back to sprint. The coverage is great, can't really say that it is that much better. The reason I left verizon was because I had to make several calls to customer service each month because I was over billed. This would range between $235 to $415 a month. Several reports that I have read has mentioned the billing problems as a drawback. A friend of mine who only had one line was over charged $1035 in one month. The last time I called verizon the lady was very sarcastic and would not credit my account so I left verizon. In 6 years, I have only had to contact sprint 3 times for billing errors.

Collapse -
The Facts
by mikecyns / April 11, 2005 2:06 AM PDT

To keep it brief... Verizon has the best coverage in the US. All customer service is lousy because you only call when there is a problem, but Sprint customer service representatives have more "override" ability and will do more or "break" rules a little to fix the problems THEY have caused. Sprints coverage has its gaps as ALL carriers do but that is the nature of cell service. Sprints network technology, phones, voicemail, etc. are far better than Verizon. Sprint plans are far less expensive than Verizon. Sprint has the most planned advancements for the near future with the acquisition of Nextel (which, by the way, has the worst coverage and the most expensive plans, but has mastered the 2 way radio, called Direct Connect). BTW, Sprint has also added their version of DC called Ready Link which is lousy in comparison because not all phones or plans include this service and the tech behind it maybe READY, but its certainly not DIRECT. However, it does use the same identification number as the persons cell phone number, where nextel has a phone number AND different DC number that is not in ???-???-???? format. More like: ???*?????*?.

Both Verizon and Sprint are CDMA and Sprint can roam (basiically free of charge - $5/mo) on Verizon's network, but sometimes you may experience a dropped call when the switch is made. Sprints dropped calls or lack of coverage is at least consistant and NOT THAT much worse that the technology of the phones and price plans far outway the lack of coverage. I know alot of people suggest Verizon, but I'm a techy...I read the fine print on the weekend... for fun! I disect gadgets. For example, the Treo 650 pda phone, on Sprint and Cingular ($500.00) is the worst designed Phone I have ever bought. Some people rave about it.

SPRINT is the best choice if you can handle few dropped calls. Also Sprints cheapest phone ($39.99 or usually free when you buy 2 or more) has the best coverage, but it's not a flip. It is a great phone though!!

Collapse -
reception
by 57ringo / April 22, 2005 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: The Facts

Mike, I had a kyocera 2345 for several years and it was always dropping calls then have 5 bars, ringing while I was talking, amoung other things. Sprint updated it at their stores several times but it didn't help. They told me to get the Sanyo 8200 because they said you get what you pay for and it would get much better reception. I've had it two weeks and it drops calls where my old phone would receive. Now they are trying to get me to switch to a 4920. Do you have any idea what phones receive the best? I don't care about the bells and whistles, I just want it to work. pjr1957 at yahoo
Pat

Collapse -
The Real Fact
by Stockalam / May 15, 2008 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: The Facts

Verizon Wireless is committed to offering customers the most reliable service on the nation's best wireless voice and data network.
Nation?s Most Reliable Wireless Network

Verizon Wireless has invested more than $45 billion since the company was formed to increase the coverage and capacity of its national network and to add new services. Verizon Wireless currently serves 67.2 million customers.
?Test Man? Isn?t Just a Commercial Character

The company's 'most reliable network' claim is based on network studies performed by real-life test men and test women who inspired the company's national advertising campaign. These engineers conduct more than 3 million voice call attempts and more than 16 million data tests annually on Verizon Wireless' and other national wireless carriers' networks while traveling almost 1 million miles of the most frequently traveled roadways nationwide in specially equipped, company-owned quality test vehicles. Meet our real-life Test Men and Women.
Ensuring the Network Meets High Call Quality Standards

Each voice call is tabulated on computers inside the test vehicle as either a successful call, an ineffective attempt (a call that is blocked) or a lost call (a call that connects, but drops). Data testing includes file downloads, uploads and web browsing; each test is likewise scored based upon the ability to establish the data session and the ability to complete the task. After the test vehicles complete their routes, the network teams download the test results onto computers at our network test centers for compilation and analysis.
The Results

The voice network reliability test results have consistently shown that the rate of ineffective attempts for the Verizon Wireless national network, in major metropolitan centers and some remote areas, is lower than any other national carrier. The test results also indicate that voice calls that connect on the Verizon Wireless network are more likely to stay connected for the duration of the call. Read examples of our regional reliability studies. Similarly, the data network reliability test results establish that Verizon Wireless has the nation's most reliable wireless broadband network, allowing Verizon Wireless to perform sessions that involve connecting to the network, downloading, uploading, and web browsing at a greater rate of success than its national competitors.
Now Customers Get To Take Their Own ?Test Drive?

For the first time, wireless consumers get to be their own test man or woman by ?taking the Verizon Wireless network for a spin? to experience the Verizon Wireless network on their own. Verizon Wireless is the only major carrier to offer a 30-day test drive of its network. If at any point during the 30-day Test Drive customers are not satisfied with their experience and take their number to another wireless carrier, Verizon Wireless will refund their money for their voice calls, equipment, activation fee and taxes, as well as release them from their contract without early termination fee when they return their phone within the Test Drive period. An early termination fee will apply unless phone is returned.

Collapse -
Sprint
by swwing17 / April 11, 2005 7:42 AM PDT

i've had sprint for 6 years, and since switching to Sanyo phones (stay away from samsung, ringers are great, signal SUCKS), my signal is full everywhere i go, with the exception of Mammoth Mtn,Ca, where everone else DOES get a signal.
I've had no billing errors. The plan that i have is what i call "the threaten-to-quit-plan"(that you can do once your contract is up, 1yr or 2yr) which is 750 min. anytime, 3000min nite/wknd, and FREE Sprint-to-Sprint for $40/mo (w/ taxes, etc. = approx $52/mo total).
It's the only phone service i've had for 3 yrs now...completely satisfied. Oh, i live in the Los Angeles area, but have traveled all over the country w/ great reception, no roaming.
Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Which cel phone is better
by rschan / April 12, 2005 6:04 PM PDT

I had Verizon for many years and I could never use the phone at home because the signals were so weak. Then I changed to CONGULAR and now I am a happy camper. No more drop or missed calls because weak signals.

Collapse -
sprint has decreased its dropped calls by 24%
by viking66 / April 28, 2005 6:28 PM PDT

the first quarter of 05 sprint has improve by 24%.. so they seem to be heading in a good direction..

Collapse -
VERIZON! STAY AWAY FROM SPRINT!
by iknowphones / October 22, 2005 7:32 AM PDT

VERIZON! STAY AWAY FROM SPRINT! it is as simple as that.

Collapse -
Your name might be "iknowphones" but
by hh / October 22, 2005 7:54 AM PDT

but maybe you should pay more attention to the time the post was originally discussed. Don't waste your time with the old posts where most of these people are not even checking these boards. Stay current.

Collapse -
why all the rudeness?
by jbroshear / March 1, 2006 4:26 AM PST

verizon vs. sprint is not a "dated" topic

Collapse -
It depends on the area
by Jlak64 / October 30, 2006 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: why all the rudeness?

as another poster said, every carrier has its dead spots. So your best bet is to check the coverage maps of places where you go frequently and see if there's a marked difference.

Collapse -
Sprint
by petebaby / October 26, 2005 12:12 PM PDT

I have both and live in Illinois .
I like Sprint way better than Verizon. The reception I get from Sprints network is far more potent than Verizons

And I have a trimode lg6100 with Verizon and a Nokia 6225i with Sprint . Verizons Towers seem to be in only a few places in Illinois and I know others that feel the same way . We look at our phones and see only a few bars .But on Sprint full bars or almost full.
I love Sprint .
Good Luck.

Collapse -
Run away from BOTH
by dcdevito79 / December 13, 2005 8:53 AM PST

Go to Cingular.

Sprint is aweful and Verizon is a cash-cow overrated bubble

Collapse -
Say no to drugs & SPRINT
by sunnyrose2343 / March 1, 2006 5:44 AM PST

I never had Verison other than for the HOUSE phone but i did have Sprint....I dont want another SPRINT phone if there giveing them away for free outside my apt with coffe an a morning Bagel.

Collapse -
Being Fair
by Caleb328 / October 27, 2006 7:57 AM PDT

All US carriers have cons. Sprint and Verizon have probably the least. I had Sprint first and currently I have Verizon. All in all Verizon is better for many reasons. They tie with T-Mobile for the most awards and call quality. They even have the 2nd best customer care. Their handset variety is better. Coverage is everywhere in the US. However, be aware Verizon isn't as generous as others when it comes to accessories and using all of their services you want. V-Cast is now cost friendly. And as you data it uses your voice minutes. As long as you can keep the phone you have for at least a year or longer, get Verizon Wireless (It's The Network)

Collapse -
Sprint
by gropleoy / October 19, 2007 12:27 AM PDT

I have had Verizon for a few years until I switched to Sprint 3 years ago. I thank god every day for making the switch. Verizon overcharged on my bill and there was no one to talk to, so I switched to Sprint and I could not be happier. When you have sprint you have the best of both worlds; you have Sprints great network plus for $5 a month I have free roaming so I also have Verizon on my phone for no charge. Verizon is for people who like to pay money for their ego; Sprint is for people who need a good cell phone without being overcharged.

Collapse -
My opinion is that both are equal, yet they also have
by BeatleMegaFan / October 20, 2007 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Sprint

their own problems. I've used both Verizon and Sprint until I completely switched to Sprint. Verizon had excellent call quality, but their plans were more expensive, and the phones I used would roam in less urban areas. Sprint has some excellent coverage. You can't argue that. Call quality depends on the phone and the coverage, so if your phone doesn't work right, then it's the phone.

I will say that in the last year, I've gone through six (6!!!) phones with Sprint. I originally had the great Samsung A900 which was really good. However, the first one I had was buggy because Samsung messed something up. The second one was also defective and would freeze up and show 3 hour calls when I never made one. The third one was perfect except for one annoying detail: the backlight didn't work. It was impossible to see it outside and inside. The software wroked fine, but this time, it was the device itself. I was really mad at the Sprint customer service (they are/were horrible), since they couldn't do anything to fix it. They didn't even try. I decided to get a KRZR when it came out in hopes of having better luck. First one: freezing, buggy, etc. Second: battery would screw up, phone would turn on and off, restart like a computer. Third one: the one I have now.

That's my speel about Sprint, but their coverage is excellent and what's more is I have better reception where the A900 did not. Dropped calls: I have had quite a few, but that was due to my friend's Q, which wsa buggy, and had some serious issues. Never have I dropped a call on MY line. Verizon has some good stuff, but they lock their phones down with that horrible software unlike Sprint's. At least Sprint has some more variety. Each carrier is different, so you can't say one is COMPLETELY better than the other. They all have their own ups and downs.
-BMF

You know, I may try to get one of those new RAZR2 things. Looks good on Sprint, and the review here on CNET says it was great. Promising I hope LOL.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.