Phones forum

General discussion

Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus

by NurseJen99 / July 18, 2013 12:56 AM PDT

Has anybody had reception issues with this phone? I rarely have it set to 4G and the 3G reception is spotty as well. Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't have this one
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 1:07 AM PDT

But here, where I am, 4G is not and 3G comes and goes. It's not the phone here but the location. Other phones on same network perform the same.
Bob

Collapse -
Verizon Galaxy Nexus
by NurseJen99 / July 18, 2013 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't have this one

My old BlackBerry has better reception than my Nexus, there shouldn't be a huge difference but there is....

Collapse -
There can be a huge difference
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Verizon Galaxy Nexus

To dive into this we get to figure out what the good phone has for cellular bands and what 1g, 2g, 3g, it has.

It's a hodgepodge of many technologies and radios and I find the tower condition and location to matter more often than the phone. Sorry if this sounds odd but the office has some hundred users and you get a better view of this issue as you get more phones.

I'll repeat what we've seen. It's rarely the phone's issue. But if you think it is, return it.
Bob

Collapse -
Let's compare the BB to this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 3:04 AM PDT

Here's what I think is the Nexus you have (you can confirm)

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=3475

"LTE (4G)
750 Upper 700 (Verizon) / band 13 USA

CDMA (2G / 3G)
850 Cellular / BC0 Americas, Oceania, Brazil, Israel
1900 PCS / BC1 Americas

Sprint version has LTE 1900 instead of 750, and adds CDMA 800 "

My last BB was GSM so one could never compare that to this Nexus.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. You may to send it back if
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2013 3:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
Verizon Coverage
by NurseJen99 / July 18, 2013 5:36 AM PDT

I totally blame Verizon and their crap coverage. I live in a major metro area and I understand spotty 4G coverage but 3G should be solid, indoors or outdoors there is no difference.

Collapse -
You are wrong regarding indoor vs outdoor coverage
by Pepe7 / July 19, 2013 12:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Verizon Coverage

If you would take the time to learn about signal propagation, you would quickly learn of your incorrect assumption regarding indoor vs outdoor coverage. Service from all carriers has to deal with this issue in places. While there are plenty of locations where it does not matter and you can always use your phone, there are also plenty of indoor spaces where due to the physics involved, indoor amplifiers/repeaters are required to provide cellular coverage. My own five story, thick concrete based workplace in Chicago is one good example (among others I frequent). ATT and Verizon were horrible/unusable until they amplified everyone. Now it's wonderful. Another example- I added a small repeater/amp system w/ outdoor antenna on my wife's cousin's home to improve their indoor coverage (previously one bar at maximum, now four or five).

So it's not that simple as being in a 'major metro area', unfortunately.

Collapse -
Gotta agree.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 19, 2013 1:42 AM PDT

Pepe7 is absolutely correct. Don't throw the cellular carrier under the bus without knowing all the facts.

Collapse -
Verizon Coverage
by NurseJen99 / July 19, 2013 3:17 AM PDT

I'm talking about my specific phone and the reception is horrible compared to the other phones that I have had with the same carrier. And I'm not talking about in buildings I'm talking about outside, I am aware that being in a building can effect coverage. Your rant was useless information that I already know.

Collapse -
I was hoping to compare the phone to the BB
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2013 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Verizon Coverage

But I missed which BB so I couldn't see if they were on the same network and cellular technology.

But here, at home Sprint is not good across about a dozen phones. I think many folk continue to think it's the phone at fault and I don't think many have the time to cover why it's rarely the phone.

Bob

Collapse -
BB
by NurseJen99 / July 19, 2013 8:52 AM PDT

I have the BB Curve 8330 from Verizon and it gets great reception.

Collapse -
If you provide a zip code and major street intersection...
by Pepe7 / July 23, 2013 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: BB

...we can quickly review the local coverage (esp. 4G). Again though, comparing a legacy 2G/3G BB device to a new one (on a relatively new network, mind you), leads one to expect some growth pains/coverage issues in some areas. And that's for all carriers, not only Verizon.

Collapse -
BB radio.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2013 9:25 AM PDT

CDMA (2G / 3G)
850 Cellular / BC0 Americas, Oceania, Brazil, Israel
1900 PCS / BC1 Americas

No LTE so nothing to compare but on the data side I see it differ.
BB = EVDO r0
Nexus = LTE

So there are some basic differences and if your area is like mine, this BB would work better.

Nod to Pepe7:
"OTOH, I can see where an established model, such as a BB, only using their mature (EVDO) 3G network would function flawlessly, or at least mostly without issues. The migration of 3G to 4G is most certainly not w/o problems for some users."

Bob

Collapse -
BB vs. Nexus
by NurseJen99 / July 19, 2013 3:57 PM PDT
In reply to: BB radio.

I rarely have the Nexus in 4G because it just flips back and forth too much and kills the battery.

Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 19, 2013 10:33 PM PDT
In reply to: BB vs. Nexus

And the two phones use different systems on the cellular towers so they should be different. I doubt replacing the Nexus with another Nexus or another phone with same radio system will fix this. Hopefully you can cancel because there is no coverage where you are.
Bob

Collapse -
Did you look online at the coverage maps yet?
by Pepe7 / July 18, 2013 3:58 AM PDT

That's usually where the rubber hits the road.

If the maps rule out that you live in a strong coverage area, and your dwelling is ruled out as the source of the bad reception, it's also possible that Verizon is working on/upgrading the closest cell site (or a series of cellular sites) in your market/where you need service. A few tweaks are usually required to get it right.

OTOH, I can see where an established model, such as a BB, only using their mature (EVDO) 3G network would function flawlessly, or at least mostly without issues. The migration of 3G to 4G is most certainly not w/o problems for some users.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.