Phones forum

General discussion

Verizon PDA /Smart Phone w/out monthly internet fee?

by Cronion / May 30, 2009 7:33 AM PDT

Does Verizon offer a plan that includes one of their PDA/Smart Phones that doesn't require a monthly internet fee of $15, $30, $45, $60 or are those days history.

If not then is there a way to use something like an unlocked Samsung Omnia and use it with a Verizon plan while paying for internet on an "as needed" basis without a required monthly fee?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Verizon PDA /Smart Phone w/out monthly internet fee?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Verizon PDA /Smart Phone w/out monthly internet fee?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Palm Centro
by teiho / May 30, 2009 8:22 AM PDT

At Verizon, all PDAs except the Centro required data plans, and no other phones will take addresses or notes in the contacts application, which was a bust for me. I just got a Palm Centro with pay-per-KB and pay-per-message. The stores usually have one on hand behind the counter that you could play with.

If you're used to Blackberry or the like you will have to get used the the Palm OS, which is pretty intuitive once you play with it a little. Everything is very customizable through menus and preferences. The sound is great, it's got lots of convenient functions, works great as a phone and does everything a PDA can possibly do.

The only downside is that the battery isn't so great, though that might be because I'm constantly using the organizer. Customer service sent me a new one when I called to complain, so now I have two, and I'm considering an Ecosol Powerstick. Ordinarily I wouldn't tolerate worrying about the battery, but everything else about this phone is a joy.

Collapse -
Yes, Probably
by Dave4237 / June 1, 2009 1:30 PM PDT

I have been using Page Plus cellular for a few years. This is a prepaid program that allows calls to anywhere in the US for 7 to 12 cents per minute fee. (Canada is 2 or 3 times that rate.) The cards come in $10, $25, and $50 denominations and last up to three months before a new card is needed. Old balances roll over as long as you apply a new card before the old one expires.

To get started you need to buy a phone with $10 of talk time for $25. This includes activation of the non-PDA/non-smart phone that comes with the plan. If you have a different phone like the ones mentioned below, have them activate it from the start.

My wife and I just bought Internet capable phones that are Verizon compatible. I bought a Treo 750wx, and she bought a Samsung SCH-i760. She also tried a Dare for a while. We paid our local Wireless Giant $10 to activate the phone from our old and another $5 to transfer our contacts for each phone.

I used to worry about the costs of each call, but with the amount of time I use the phone each month, it is minimal. When I am working on the road I can go through a $50 every three months. Right now I have over a $40 balance on my account. My card expires in a week, and I will probably buy just a $10 card to keep the phone line and my $40 balance active.

The most difficult part of the plan for us is remembering to order a new card before our 90 days are up. I now set up reminders in all kinds of places.

Check out www.pagepluscellular.com if you can't find a dealer locally. As long as Verizon works in the area, Page Plus should work, too.

Collapse -
Please comment on the data part
by Pepe7 / June 2, 2009 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, Probably

I think it would help the OP if you would also address the actual specifics of the data part of your pre-paid page plus plan. It's good to have this info available if someone were to search this forum.

cheers,
Pedro

Collapse -
The Internet and Page Plus
by Dave4237 / June 2, 2009 3:42 PM PDT

Page Plus Cellular does not include the Internet. It is strictly for phone calls and SMS text messages.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.