Phones

General discussion

Verizon or Sprint? Direct or reseller?

by redbirdson / June 17, 2005 8:37 PM PDT

My family is about to go all wireless. We plan to get 4 phones and lots of minutes. We have narrowed our selection down to Verizon and Sprint. Any recommendations?

Also, Sprint and Verizon warned us against going through a reseller, but it seems like resellers (on the web) offer better deals on the phones, with money back instead of money out of pocket. Are we safe going through a reseller to set up wireless service? Any specific recommendations?

Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Verizon or Sprint? Direct or reseller?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Verizon or Sprint? Direct or reseller?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re: Verizon or Sprint? Direct or reseller?
by Wilt / June 18, 2005 12:31 AM PDT

I've had Verizon for almost 20 years. Polls show Verizon consistently at or near the top of services with best coverage, fewest billing and customer service issues. Verizon system has both digital and analog coverage (was once told at Radio Shach that Verizon provides Sprint with analog network, but don't know the truth to that statement), so I can make calls where my 'all-digital' friends have no signal at all.

Collapse -
re: Verizon or Sprint? Direct or reseller?
by dave1973 / June 19, 2005 2:27 AM PDT

I would never recommend anyone going to Radio Shack to sign up for any wireless service. They messed up my first contract with Verizon Wireless, plus refused to have my phone insured, and refused to refer me to a souce to have it insured. At least the Radio Shack stores near me don't believe in insurance should something happen to your phone. I lost my original phone and wanted to charge me $225 to replace my old Motorola 120c. Another agent spent the time to talk with Verizon Wireless and helped me get another phone. That agent though is no longer in business. Since my bad experiences looking at resellers of Verizon Wireless service, I decided the savings wasn't worth it if all I was going to get poor service. Unless you're really looking to save money, I say go through the wireless service themselves. When I upgraded through Verizon Wireles, it was a lot less trouble because it was all done through their own computers, where many resellers must phone in the info and the process takes much longer. I know that experience from Radio Shack. Just my opinion, I would suggest paying a little extra just to get better service from the wireless service themselves and my recommendation would be Verizon Wireless. As for phone, unless you have something else in mind in features, a good basic flip phone to get is the Samsung a650. It has tri-mode so should you go somewhere that has analog only, at least you can make a call if necessary, retractable antenna (a rarity these days with stubby antennas as the norm), internet (if you plan to use it), and works in most areas on 1 or 2 bars, where my old Motorola 120c would only handle calls if it had at least 3 bars. A big improvement for me with the Samsung.

Collapse -
Go With Verizon
by ericetc / July 5, 2005 11:05 AM PDT

I have had both sprint and verizon in that order i had sprint for 14 days 2 days later i switched verizon and got a family plan for $59.00 bucks a month with two phones and i have no roaming charges just like on all of verizons other plans i have been all over the country with my new samsung a670 phone and i get great service in the rural country sprint got service no where and their phones sucked verizon has great phones go to a verizon wireless store or kiosk that is owned by veriozn because the reasellers ripp you off the only reseller i would by through on the web is www.ericetc.com/wirless i got both phones from their the customer service is great and i got my phones fast
hope that helps

Collapse -
It's www.ericetc.com/wireless
by ericetc / July 5, 2005 11:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Go With Verizon

It's www.ericetc.com/wireless

Collapse -
VZW
by jdj36 / July 15, 2005 1:39 AM PDT

Verizon Wireless has much better coverage, although Sprints equipment is much better than Verizon's.
I would go with VZW

Collapse -
Verizon or Sprint? Direct or reseller?
by Reid_the_guy / July 16, 2005 11:11 AM PDT

my personal experience will be to go with verizon because it has best quality. but sprint has improved a lot and could be a great option.

i use verizon plan i got from a site called http://www.telebayplans.com which is a reseller. my wife's friends are all on verizon and they recommended us this site and since mobile 2 mobile was free for us it saves us a lot of money to get a family plan. so this is another factor you want to consider while choosing the carrier.

you are right about money out of pocket when you goto store. i dont know why is that. also the dealer i mentioned sells all plans, it helped me compare deals for my zip code. with a dealer/ reseller you earn a cash back in form of rebate like $50-$150 or more depending on what phone etc. you choose.

i went into t-mobile store and they were all into pressuring me to go with their plan so i decided to get it online. i hope i helped. this is how i would rank the cell phone plans quality wise :

1. Verizon (great call quality and signal)
2. Cingular ( has rollover option)
3. Sprint
4. T- mobile ( more cash back and more phone choices also more minutes for your plan)

i would recommend reseller if you want to save money and look for free shipping

Collapse -
verizon is better and you ALWAYS want to go DIRECT!
by iknowphones / October 22, 2005 7:23 AM PDT

verizon is better and you ALWAYS want to go DIRECT!
Especially dont ever buy from INPhonic or Wirefly. Read other posts on this forum. Wirefly and Inphonic are pure scams. that is why some states are prohibitng people from buying from them! but going direct is your best bet because most resellers dont have a good return policy and then verizon has less records of you being their custoemr (cause u did noot buy the phone from them, they dont have a sales record)

Collapse -
direct or reseller? eh... maybe not.
by 7889ag / August 30, 2009 1:19 PM PDT

Ya, it would be nice to go direct, I guess ....unless you're clobbered with over the top rates and semi hidden fees. Y not go with a reseller, say like a Page Plus: a Verizon reseller/coverage, that has American customer service, continued use of your Vzn phone, and very reasonable rates. They may have some room for improvement but I've yet to discover a downside. It's a tough one, I feel so bad. Here I am receiving excellent cellular service, using my old phone, and paying 1/2 the price, all the while Verizon continues to robustly kick their valued client's a$$. Woe is me.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.