Internet Services Providers

Question

Verizon claims CNET's Broadband Speed test is BOGUS!

by cappedcrusader / July 13, 2011 6:50 AM PDT

I have been pulling 15MB readings on CNET's broadband speed tests for months. The problem is... I have a 35MB plan. I have used tests from other sources...and all are consistent with CNET.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Verizon claims CNET's Broadband Speed test is BOGUS!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Verizon claims CNET's Broadband Speed test is BOGUS!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Point Of View!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2011 7:04 AM PDT

They are right. They know the speed link is from your modem to their gear and that's the speed they deliver. Once you are off that link, speed plummets to whatever the internet happens to be going at with the slowest link being the bottleneck.

Here's what many can't wrap their head around. If the server that is sending content to you is on some other network, then you can't get FIOS speeds. That's the SHORT version.

The Cnet speed test is not a test of Verizon's speed but from of the total link from here to there.
Bob

Collapse -
So, do you...or do you not -get FIOS speed... in real terms?
by cappedcrusader / July 13, 2011 11:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Point Of View!

Based on your reply, it seems that you will rarely (if ever) pull in FIOS Speeds. I'm hearing you say that the speed is TECHNICALLY real... but realistically useless (for internet...TV is another matter).

Collapse -
It's a big discussion
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2011 5:18 PM PDT

And FIOS does help, but not in every case and for every server. Version and ATT and all the other big suppliers also place caches inside their network to speed things along.

But as the speed is determined by the slowest link, your benchmarks only show that.
Bob

Collapse -
The bottom line being...
by cappedcrusader / July 13, 2011 9:50 PM PDT
In reply to: It's a big discussion

...that FIOS is good for bragging rights... but not any faster than the competition in 'real life'.

Collapse -
It sounds like they may be throttling . . .
by Coryphaeus / July 14, 2011 12:43 PM PDT

I have Time Warner/Roadrunner cable Internet (no TV or phone). My speed tests (CNet) were never consistent with what TW/RR advertised, 30 Mb/s down. I found this site http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ that showed close to what I was paying for, usually right on the money. I live in Dallas so I picked the Dallas server. Then I found the TW/RR speed test page. Then I bought a new Cisco DOCSIS 3 modem. And tested the speed TW/RR at the site. This is a screen capture of what I get now. Shown is the burst speed, but my speeds consistently hit right on the mark and above.

http://www.wayne2.net/speed.jpg

Find the FIOS speed test site.

Collapse -
"Find the FIOS speed test site."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2011 11:53 PM PDT

Good advice.

Collapse -
speedtests - FIOS bs
by photobug56 / August 5, 2011 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Point Of View!

I have Cablevision and I regularly run speedtest.net and speakeasy.net to check my speeds. I also use CV's own test. In nearly all cases I get speeds close to if not better then what I'm paying CV for (ultra boost) depending on the PC I use for the test. Just now I'm at about 45 down (a bit low) and 8.2 up (a tiny bit high) on speakeasy's speed test. I also ran speedtest just now and it looked like I had a dialup connection. Odds are that speedtest.net is getting hammered right now and is thus running slowly.

Also, keep in mind that some PC's won't keep up. I run a i7 sandybridge based pc on a gigabit network to my docsys3 cable modem and get great results most of the time. When I don't, I reboot and try again, usually with better results. If I try my 9 year old PC a few feet away I get speeds as low as 25 meg down and 1 up; odds are if I reboot that will improve. The point being that your PC and your home network can be a big part of the loss in speed, and that external speed test sites are very helpful but don't always work properly.

Collapse -
Answer
Tests are always subjective
by WaCableTech / August 5, 2011 1:58 PM PDT

And you cannot use just one.
I recommended testing at speedtest.net and using a 3 servers near your area to see if your service provider is the issue or the actual internet is. Verizon;s speed is to get you to the internet, the internet itselfs speed is not verizon's issue.
IR lets say you live in seattle and testing to seattle you get 35, but testing to New York City you get 10Mb, this is not verizon's issue they are delivering what they advertise.

Collapse -
Not the whole picture
by dminott / August 6, 2011 1:41 AM PDT

You must also factor in the latency.
A test center that is further away from you (by mileage)
may actually be a faster connection than one that is closer,
if it has a lower latency value.

Dave

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.