Phones forum

General discussion

Verizon and ways to lower your bill

by geminibabi / January 16, 2005 3:27 PM PST

Hi, I was hoping I could get some help with advice on how to lower my phone bill. I am currently with Verizon and I thought for some reason that it was 10 cents for every minute you went over. Apparently it is 45 cents! Well that cost me close to $40 extra! I've never had a $100 dollar phone bill and this sucks! Well anyway, does anyone know if any loopholes that exist. For example, I know that with Sprint service you can call in and say "credit for dropped calls" and it removes like 50 cents for each call off your bill. A few friends of mine have Sprint and they do it all the time and their bills are so much cheaper. But like most of us, there is Verizon, which I like. But it's very high. So anyway, if anyone knows of anything that exists like that or any other secrets, I'd really appreicate it. ~Desperate~

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Verizon and ways to lower your bill
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Verizon and ways to lower your bill
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Everyone has their price
by Jerry562 / January 16, 2005 7:00 PM PST

but if you are saying these people lie and cheat for fifty stinking cents, you need a few better friends.

To lower your bill, set your timer and check it often. On Cingular, you send a *MIN and they text you back with your minutes. Check with your service for something similar.

Collapse -
I'm replying
by Jerry562 / January 16, 2005 11:00 PM PST

to my own message of this morning because it seems a little harsh.

At fifty cents a day, your friend/s can only save a total of ($.50 x 30 days per month = $15.00) fifteen bucks, total possible before they get put on the fraud list.

Fifteen dollars won't erase a $100. phone bill, and hardly seems worth it. Most people could earn that amount of money in the time spent defrauding the phone company.

I suggest changing plans or doing something much more positive. I stand by my advice of getting some new friends, possibly some that have figured out how can afford to pay their own way and be stand-up about it at the same time. If you delete these guys from your phone list, your minutes used would be much smaller, thus saving you money.

Collapse -
Not on Fraud List
by JustBill / January 18, 2005 11:47 AM PST
In reply to: I'm replying

Sprint customers can dial *2 and get $.50 credit for ever dropped call. There is no fraud list if one gets more than 30 credits in a month. I'm curious where you come up with what you are posting about fraud. I'm not saying to lie, cheat and steal but if one lives in a fringe area and has a lot of dropped calls there is no problem with lots of credits for the dropped calls. Please research your answer befor you post a reply thqt is inaccurate.

Collapse -
The original message
by Jerry562 / January 18, 2005 7:02 PM PST
In reply to: Not on Fraud List

states the problem as using too many minutes at .45 cents vs .10 has raised the bill to $100.

The loophole requested and example cited gave/gives me the impression that someone wanted us to list ways to lower the bill with a similar plan.

If someone is having problems with poor reception, this is the first time it has been mentioned. Could you state the problem more clearly?

Collapse -
thank you
by geminibabi / January 19, 2005 12:58 PM PST
In reply to: Not on Fraud List

thank you for the help and repsonse. must appreciated

Collapse -
by geminibabi / January 19, 2005 12:57 PM PST
In reply to: I'm replying

no comment, if you were going to be nasty, then please do not respond, b/c i don't want to your snotty remarks. I have great friends by the way and this is not the reason for going over my minutes. so don't worry, your help isn't wanted.

Collapse -
You can do this
by KingWill00 / January 17, 2005 1:50 AM PST

I am a verizon costumer, and the way I keep track of my minute usage is by one of the free services they offer. ON you phone, you can press #MIN (#646) and they will send you a free text message with all of your minute usage. There is also #DATA (#3282) to check all of your data usage ie: text, pics, internet etc. Also, if you want I believe Verizon is now offering a 450 minute plan online, and 500 minute plan in the stores for 49.99. I hope this was useful.

Collapse -
smaller bill
by sunshine7 / January 18, 2005 11:36 PM PST

What was stated earlier is a great way to keep track of your min. By dialing #646.. If you continue to go over your min. the best thing to do is change your plan. If you are on a 400 min plan with verizon, and you talk 44 min over, you are paying $20 in overage. The next plan up is 20.00 more and you will be getting double your min. Verizon reps are great for explaining this to their customers, but not everyone wants to hear it. So 20 in overage or 20 more a month for double your air time and no stress?? Another thing, why be upset with the company for you using your phone and having to pay for what you are responsible for? Its not their fault.

Collapse -
by geminibabi / January 19, 2005 12:54 PM PST
In reply to: smaller bill

I didn't say it was anyone's fault but my own. So I don't where that came from. I'm just pissed about the high price, just like you would be if you went over your minutes. Once again, so one is blaming anyone.

Collapse -
How to get cheaper bill
by Tenichi1 / January 21, 2005 2:43 PM PST
In reply to: hmmm

Do you call a lot? Ever try with pre-paid service like t-mobile or virgin? With $20.00 you get 100 minutes, and 90 days... charge the phone before 90 days is up, and the minutesc arry over with t-mobile... PLUS with prepaid phone.. you dont have to pay does expensive taxes!!!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.