TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

by ebaAay / July 11, 2007 8:04 PM PDT

I am about to purchase an AV receiver to go with my TV and with it I'm looking for an entertainment unit to put everything in.
Is there a minimum amount of room the receiver needs for ventilation? One unit I saw (and like) would leave a centimetre either side of a receiver, ten or more to the back with an open front and literally one or two millimetres above it. Is this not recommended?

It would most likely me a Yamaha or Onkyo receiver, low-mid range.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ventilation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ventilation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just leave. . .
by Coryphaeus / July 11, 2007 10:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Ventilation

pleanty of room on the top where the vent holes are located. My center was closed in the back but I removed the cover. Remember that heat travels up.

Collapse -
by Kingp1n / July 11, 2007 10:33 PM PDT

I would call the manufacturer and find out what they recomend. You might find this info in the user manual, which can be downloaded in most cases so you can read it before you go out and buy it.

Personally, I would not be comfortable with that little space you noted. Example, my Dish network HD-DVR box was originally in a cabinet (similar open space around it that you mentioned) and after a while it got so hot I could barely keep my hand on it. Since I changed my setup it is sitting wide open on a new tv stand and does not get anywhere close to being that hot.

If you do decide to have limited space around your av equipment, I would have some sort of fan on them for cooling. The moving air should also help keep dust from settling on and in the reciever. Dust and heat are not a good combination.

Hope that helps.

Collapse -
by ebaAay / July 12, 2007 12:46 AM PDT

I looked up the Yamaha manual and it says, "Allow ventilation space of at least 30 cm on the top, 20 cm on the left and right, and 20 cm on the back of this unit."
Onkyo says, "Leave 20 cm (8") of free space at the top and sides
and 10 cm (4") at the rear. The rear edge of the shelf
or board above the apparatus shall be set 10 cm (4")
away from the rear panel or wall, creating a flue-like
gap for warm air to escape."

This seems VERY excessive.

I can manage the 10cm at the back with no problem, just on top, depending on the receiver, I can get maximum an inch and maybe half an inch on each side. The front is all open.

Does anyone have a similar set-up or had a similar one that can comment on how things went?

Collapse -
Reciepe for disaster....
by Kingp1n / July 12, 2007 1:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Vantilation

Your basicly going to put your reciever in a box. With that little of space on top and sides heat is going to build up excessivly. And over time dust WILL settle on the internal circuits, which will not let the heat to escape. There is a reason why the manufactuer has those measurements stated. I think you could be just asking for trouble. But then again it could work just fine... I just would not do it myself. Heat and electronic equipment are not a good combination.

Collapse -
by stewart norrie / July 12, 2007 3:11 AM PDT

I just got my new Dish network vip222 installed and man that thing really gets hot. I put receiver on the top of my equipment rack for max air circulation but still runs extra hot My Denon 3805 amp runs cool and my new Sony Blue Ray player has a fan in the rear no problem stewee

Collapse -
by Kingp1n / July 12, 2007 3:32 AM PDT

I am going to assume you want some advice on what to do about your red hot DISH box? I can tell you from my experience that is needs more room to breath. Like I posted, mine is in the open now and i can leave my hand on it all day and not get burned. (yes it got hot enough to cause a burn before)

If you can't move it, I would try and get one of those laptop coolers. The kind you set the laptop on top of. It has built in fans and may give you the cooling you need. That's what I was going to try before I got all new gear.

Lemme know how it works if you try it.

Collapse -
by stewart norrie / July 14, 2007 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Question?

Now its just toasty warm. and the best part is I wont have to use my heater this winter ha ha

Collapse -
Your welcome
by Kingp1n / July 15, 2007 10:30 PM PDT

Glad that worked for ya.

Collapse -
by Riverledge / July 12, 2007 10:46 AM PDT

besides frying an egg on it, the overheating of the set will usually cause the TV to shut down. See lengthy thread about the MITSHU air-flow problems on this forum. Ventilation of all electronics a serious issue. Buy A/V furniture with CAUTION, so as not to shorten the life-span of your costly components.

Best to all,

Collapse -
TV stand & A/V rack...
by hyghwayman / July 13, 2007 3:43 AM PDT

I got these two from WalMart for $59.96 each in the Dayton, Ohio area.
The TV stand can hold up to 340lbs., 240lbs top shelf/ 100lbs. bottom shelf/ 20lbs. middle shelf.
The A/V rack will hold up to 4 electronic components.

Click link below to see pictures.!D73190AAEA381737!632&_c11_PhotoAlbum_startingImageIndex=1&_c11_PhotoAlbum_commentsExpand=0&_c11_PhotoAlbum_addCommentExpand=0&_c11_PhotoAlbum_addCommentFocus=0&_c=PhotoAlbum

Collapse -
I'm looking at something like this
by ebaAay / July 13, 2007 2:06 PM PDT
In reply to: TV stand & A/V rack...
Collapse -
I would then....
by hyghwayman / July 13, 2007 4:26 PM PDT

highly recommend a dedicated A/V rack for proper ventilation of your receiver and other components.

Just a thought,

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.