Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

.vem files

by markob / February 1, 2006 2:56 AM PST

How do you open a file with a .vem extension? I copied some files (.jpeg, word & excel) to a recordable cd and it changed the file extension to .vem. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: .vem files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: .vem files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds viral.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2006 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: .vem files

Filenames should not be changed like that. I'd scan this machine with Housecall and Ewido.

Bob

Collapse -
.vem files
by anafpam / September 24, 2006 12:58 AM PDT

Probably you have some compression module installed in your computer. Search for such a program (my pen drive has Virtual Expander, and also generates *.vem files) in your computer.

Collapse -
.vem files
by Joni Spencer / November 12, 2006 6:42 AM PST

I have the same issue with files I downloaded to a flash drive from one computer and copied to another. I assume the first computer had an expander. It doesn't appear that the second computer does. Any idea how to access the files now?

Collapse -
.vem files
by beecherb / December 26, 2006 1:13 AM PST

I copied files from an old computer to a Flash drive to add to a new computer. All the files have a .vem added to the file name and appear to be corrupt. Anyone have any ideas if these files can be restored?

Collapse -
See link. Clue is "VIRTUAL EXPANDER"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2006 2:11 AM PST
Collapse -
How to open .vem file
by sharif4u / April 14, 2007 5:35 PM PDT

Micro Vault Virtual Expander is pre-installed Sony's unique file compression software. This software will compress your data to virtually store about 3 times*1 as much data!

Without using a Micro Vault drive, you can decompress the files and the folders, compressed by Micro Vault Virtual Expander, by downloading the "Decompression.exe" application.
http://www.sony.net/Products/Media/Microvault/files/USM_DE_P/Decompression_v101.exe

Thanks
Sharif

sharif4u@gmail.com

Collapse -
I Know How To Open A .VEM File But...
by BWTI / June 21, 2007 7:23 PM PDT
In reply to: How to open .vem file

How do I open or restore a corrupt .vem file because when I try to decompress it just freezes right at the end of decompression this only happens with this one important document can anybody help me...

Collapse -
Since its a PROPRIETARY system you are left to..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2007 10:27 PM PDT

Contact Sony for a cure.

Bob

Collapse -
corrupted .vem file
by sharif4u / June 23, 2007 1:46 PM PDT

If it is very importent then send your file to <etech@etechrecovery.com> and they will do a free assesment of your damaged file and let you know by mail whether it is possible and costing.

Visit their website before sending the file.
http://www.e-tech.ca

Collapse -
how to open files with extension .vem (sony compressed files
by puyneers / October 11, 2009 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: How to open .vem file

Thanks for the link. that is what I needed

Peter

Collapse -
Re: how to open a .vem file?
by housedog55 / October 26, 2009 3:57 PM PDT

To view the video emails the recipients must first run mmvem.exe, once the program executes they should be able to view the email you sent them.

If
they still cannot view them, try composing your video in WMA or AVI format using the included program "AMCAP". Once the video has been composed, attach it to a regular email to your recipient. To do this start the AMCAP program click on "Capture" and than on "Start Capture".

Collapse -
opening a .VEM file - finally did it!
by afear1 / January 29, 2010 2:58 AM PST

Five years ago, I copied a bunch of files onto a Sony thumb drive. About a year later, for some reason, 75% of them converted to a .VEM file extension. I was never able to open them even though the thumb drive had an "expander" file. I have talked to so many people over the years and read so many posts but nothing ever worked. Then, as a result of one of the posts I read here, I stuck my thumb drive into my computer, opened up its file, dragged one of the .VEM "corrupted" files onto my computers desktop and, voila, it converted to a .doc and it opened Happy Five years of frustration has finally been put to rest. I immediately dragged all of my other .VEM corrupted files onto my desktop and, after confirming they all had the proper .doc extension again, saved them onto a portable hard drive and am now throwing out my sony thumb drive.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.