PC Hardware

Alert

VCORE is over 2 volts on 1090T!

by Kbrownin / July 2, 2011 1:53 AM PDT

I have a Dell XPS Studio 7100, with the AMD 6 core Phenom II 1090t CPU. Recently I changed out my PSU for a future graphics card upgrade, and this is where the problems began. The Corsair 650 watt PSU went in w/no probs, and my system runs great, even smoother than before. However... If I run a stat program like CPU-Z, it shows the V CORE voltage of my CPU is now WAY TOO HIGH like 2.028 volts (it's supposed to be 1.1 or 1.2v according to AMD). I've checked it on a couple of other programs as well including HW Monitor, AIDA64, and Speccy which all give the same result. 2 volts or more. And no- I am not overclocking, you can't on a Dell. I called Dell, AMD, and Corsair, but they all tell me since my system is stable and not running hot (it's only 31c right now under a light load, and only gets to around 40-42c under heavy load), there is nothing they will do right now. They basically want me to wait til it fries the CPU or something else and then call them. The AMD tech support said he thinks the Dell mobo may be "over-volting" the CPU so I should call Dell and tell them. I did and they didn't agree and said to call Corsair because its a PSU problem, so I have to call them. When I called Corsair they said since it's only the CPU and not anything else affected, and the system isn't overheating at all- it's likely either AMD's or Dell's issue - not the PSU. What a run around! Any suggestions on how I can lower this voltage setting or is this all just false readings? Bios adjustments are not accessible on Dell's so I can't even check to verify that it's not a false reading. I'm stumped. And again..I'm not overclocking. I even tried to running Crysis 2, while having an Excel spreadsheet open, wih several browser tabs open, and while playing iTunes in the background. Still no problem- It only got to 40-42c, and was completely stable. It didn't even phase the 1090t which was laughing at about 20-24% usage.

Any opinions? I just dont want to fry my CPU or mobo with high voltage.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VCORE is over 2 volts on 1090T!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VCORE is over 2 volts on 1090T!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you check that reading with a Volt Meter?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 2, 2011 2:23 AM PDT

Dell usually does not allow change of this setting. That is, unless someone has installed some tweak software it's correct according to Dell.

Sadly some apps like you note read something wrong and folk lose time calling support for no reason.

Your story might be incomplete but so far I see no reason to keep writing.
Bob

Collapse -
Just curios
by bob b / July 2, 2011 8:21 AM PDT

If you install the old psu what does that v-core stuff show?

If it shows the same thing then I doubt it's a psu issue.

Collapse -
psu
by Kbrownin / July 3, 2011 4:04 AM PDT

Yes I put the old PSU back in to double check, but it's the same reading. It's like the sensor is stuck now on 2 volts. But again, my system is running great, stable, and cool. I have sinced put the new Corsair PSU back in, since the voltage readings are the same.

Hardware monitor ITE IT8721
Voltage 0 5.24 Volts [0x69] (+12V)
Voltage 1 2.58 Volts [0x7B] (+5V)
Voltage 2 2.02 Volts [0xAA] (CPU VCORE)

Voltage Values
CPU Core 2.028 V

Motherboard 30

Collapse -
Is this Dell's software?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2011 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: psu

Remember that Dell will not respond if it's not.

Collapse -
Volts
by bob b / July 3, 2011 7:04 AM PDT

Are you SURE this ever read less than 2 volts?

Perhaps it has been that way from day 1.

Before I chased this around I'd break out the DVM and see what it really is.

Maybe the sensor fibs.

If the DVM shows 2+ volts and AMD says 1.3 volts I'd call Dell and ask>>>>>How Come?

As mentioned.....you can not use non-Dell software to tell Dell they have a problem......it does not work....they go deaf.

Collapse -
I'll stick my neck out
by bob b / July 3, 2011 10:03 AM PDT

Not possible.

After doing some reading that vcore should be in the 1.2v/1.4v range......depending on turbo or what ever AMD calls it.

Before you could get vcore to 2v+ that cpu would have gone to "cpu heaven".

The temps look fine.
Ignore the voltage sensor.

Collapse -
VCORE
by Kbrownin / July 4, 2011 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll stick my neck out

Yes, I think youre right bob b. There is just no way the CPU hasn't gone up in flames if it was really running at 2 volts.

I'm pretty sure it was only showing the normal range before I changed out the PSU, but in all honestly I'm not positive. I really wasn't looking at the VCORE, I was only monitoring the temps.

I've had my computer running for about two hours now, and the CPU temp is only 29c, and the mainboard is 31c (according to Speedfan).

My question is this - If these software based can't read my VCORE accurately, how reliable are the temps they're giving me?

Collapse -
Define reliable.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2011 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: VCORE

I found them to not be accurate but when they work they were reliable to show me when the temp changed.

Put another way, if it did report 55C and it shot up to 88C while it could be off 10C it reliable did indicate it got hotter.
bob

Collapse -
Their shaky
by bob b / July 5, 2011 12:22 AM PDT
In reply to: VCORE

If your using one of those monitor progs a good dose of skepticism will come in handy.

I recall using one of those monitor tools that came from the mobo maker......the readings were nutty.

If the mobo maker can't figure out how to get that info from "their" own board what chance does a third party tool have?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.