Samsung forum

General discussion

Various firmware bugs (UN46C6400)

by aud78 / December 27, 2010 6:07 AM PST

I couldn't find a place to report firmware bugs on Samsung web site, so posting them here. HDTech, would you mind forwarding these to development team...

TV model: UN46C6400
Firmware: T-VALAUSC-1032.0

1. Spectacular crash when initiating DLNA playback while watching Netflix

To reproduce: start watching any movie via TV's Netflix app. On Windows 7 PC in the same network, rightclick on any video file, chose "Play To", and then chose your TV. Wait a minute or two

Result: all kinds of colors and patterns appear on the screen; elements of Netflix video are scattered in multiple locations; more colors flicker; then irrelevant error message is displayed and finally TV shuts off

2. Media player crashes if H264 video is encoded with "Animation" preset

To reproduce: encode any video using H264 codec with "Animation" preset on. Place it on USB drive and plug drive directly into your TV. Start playback using media player

Result: playback is distorted, often skips and lags, and after a few minutes media player crashes
Note: exactly same video plays just fine if source is DLNA rather than physically attached USB drive

3. Incorrect error message when trying to launch any App before IP address is obtained via DHCP

To reproduce: turn TV off and then on again. Immediately launch internet TV and then click on any app.

Result: Error message says "Service is unavailable due to network interference". This error suggests that there is IP address conflict on a subnet and TCP/IP can't work. Although what is really happening is that TV had not yet obtained IP address from DHCP server; waiting 10-20 seconds resolves the issue. Error message should say something like "Connection to the network hasn't been established yet", or, better, simply show "Connecting..." and launch the app automatically once IP address is set.

4. TV shuts off within seconds if left on "PC" source while PC is off

To reproduce: connect PC to TV via VGA cable. Make sure PC is off. Unplug all other sources from TV (like antenna or HDMI). Set source to "PC". Turn TV off. Turn TV on again.

Result: you have only 1 or 2 seconds to quickly switch source. If source is not switched, TV shuts off within seconds. It is impossible to launch Internet TV - it starts launching but then TV shuts down.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Various firmware bugs (UN46C6400)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Various firmware bugs (UN46C6400)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I like it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2010 6:20 AM PST

But can you find in the users manual where it mentions that these things are supported? I didn't pull up your product's manual but we did on another and a few items were dismissed as we didn't find any mention in the manual that the play to feature worked at all!

I like your item 4 so let's see what HDTech or Samsung writes next.

Collapse -
I like it
by aud78 / December 27, 2010 10:33 AM PST
In reply to: I like it.

None of the issues I listed renders TV features unusable (except maybe 4). They all look like oversight of QA team and fixing them would make already great TV even better.

1 - UN46C6400 is compliant DLNA Renderer device and "Play To" works excellent in all situations except when Netflix movie is streaming. Also the same happens with other DLNA controllers, not only Windows Media Player. I'm using "LMPlayer" for iPhone which let's me browse my Netgear DLNA server and send any video to TV to render. Unless Netflix is playing a movie, everything works like a charm. But yes, manual doesn't say anywhere that TV won't crash with fireworks if DLNA playback is requested while streaming Netflix Happy

2 - TV's media player obviously is capable of dealing with H264 "animation" preset as it plays fine via DLNA. There must be some simple bug - like invoking wrong coded etc. when the same file is played from USB drive.

3 - simply wrong message. The fact that TV is still waiting for IP address from DHCP server is not "Network interference". Actually, whenever TV has trouble connecting to the Internet, it says "Network interference", no matter what the real reason is.

Collapse -
I love it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2010 10:42 AM PST
In reply to: I like it

"simply wrong message"

How many times has Microsoft given us the wrong message? I doubt the industry will ever recover from our acceptance of such flawws.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 27, 2010 4:23 PM PST

I'll be happy to. Happy

It's a little known secret, but I love this stuff.

I really do enjoy when people experiment with the products to try new ideas. I would take the time to try to reproduce some of these myself just to make notes, but I'm backed up on posts over the holidays, end of year stuff, and other projects. Please forgive. It's not a lack of interest, but time.

That said, I will definitely pass these up to the appropriate department. What fixes may come as a result of this is beyond anything I could know since most of them aren't scenarios that people will find themselves in. But I'll take an initial jab at these.

1. For the attempting DLNA while Netflix is running, I imagine that the TV attempting to receive two signals simultaneously is probably not only taxing the TV, but also your network. It's tantamount to running two streams to the same source at the same time, sort of like connecting the same monitor to two video cards.

But it's a great way for kids to interrupt their parent's boring movies, or for boyfriends to interrupt "chick flicks" from the other room. Let's face it. This is maybe one fix that we shouldn't address. Wink I'm sick of Desperate Housewives. If I could interrupt it with scenes from Die Hard and shut the TV down - maybe even remotely from the office, that might make for some good natured fun.

I kid, of course.

Hold on.

(December... 29... encode.. Die... Hard... )

Okay, I'm back.

2. What are you using to add animation? Besides trying stuff out, is there a reason someone would have done this sort of encoding on purpose? Help me a little with this one, since I'm not sure what the practical application would do normally.

3. There is a standard set of errors, and while most computers take long enough to boot and establish a signal prior to launching interface programs, (you know, the "I can click Internet Explorer and it pops right up" thing, even if it took a minute to launch Windows), I can see where that expectation would be uniform for the TV, even though it starts up usually within 10 seconds or less of powering on. While people might expect that instant signal, I'm not sure what would be done to fix that, except that the TV isn't receiving a signal, so it defaults to the error of not receiving a signal.

I'm sure going further into that would probably require some engineering insight, which obviously, I don't have. But point made, taken and scored.

4. Does it do this if no other input is attached? If not, does it default to TV or an HDMI input that is on if those devices are attached?

I could argue the benefits of a PC-only attached application turning the TV off seconds after the only-connected PC-input device is powered down. Someone who used the TV set as a computer monitor would love that feature. But if another device is attached in-between, would the user no longer be stuck with seconds to switch? This is one I may have to squeeze into the midnight oil to see for myself too, but I'd like your take.

Thanks for posting these. I like 'em!

Hit me with the #2 explanation so I can better illustrate that to someone who asks, and I'll send these up.

Collapse -
by aud78 / January 2, 2011 1:41 PM PST

Thanks for your reply and comments. Here are some notes/clarifications.

1. I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by "TV receives two signals" or how that compares to having two video cards. Issue here is that Netflix app fails to terminate once TV's media player launch is triggered by incoming DLNA stream. It works perfectly fine with Hulu plus - it nicely switches to DLNA playback without crashing TV's OS.

2. "Animation" is one of many "tunes" available when encoding H264 video. It hints encoder that video is mainly solid color areas separated by high contrast lines which helps to encode more efficiently. I always use "animation" tune when encoding animated video; not sure how often others do that, but "tunes" usually are well exposed in H264 encoding GUIs.

3. In my original post i was only commenting on the message wording. If network isn't ready, TV should say it. "Interference" doesn't make any sense in this context. What is interfering with what? How interference is eliminated after a few seconds?

Although as you compared this to Windows, I'd like to through in couple more complaints about TV's network connectivity via LinkStick.

First and most annoying, if due to some reason wireless network becomes unavailable, even briefly, while TV is on, it forgets the network configuration. Nothing helps except going back to settings, searching for networks, and then keying in security code again. None of my other devices - laptops with Windows and Mac OS, iPhone, Blackbery - does that. They simply reconnect once network is back.

Second, getting on the network takes forever, by today's standards. If you compare it with full boot of Windows PC, yes, TV is faster. But the more modern use case - when laptop is simply on "sleep" (everything is off but memory), it takes 1-2 seconds to get back on network. I'm not sure if anything like PC's "sleep" is feasible with current TV's hardware, but if it is, I think it would greatly improve experience of those most interested in Internet TV.

4. It makes sense what you are saying. I'll experiment with various combinations of inputs. I was hit by this issue when using TV for just two things - as large monitor for PC and for Internet TV. I just can't stand cable Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.