Laptops forum

General discussion

vaio vs samsung

by elfuegoeldoom / June 6, 2010 8:26 AM PDT

I'm torn between two laptops, a samsung r580 http://bit.ly/aUXsJV and a sony vaio e series that i customized, core i5 520m, ati radeon 5470, 320gb hdd, with blu ray, the vaio is $90 more, I love the way the Vaio looks, while samsung is very bland to me in terms of looks, i'm soo torn though which one is best?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: vaio vs samsung
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: vaio vs samsung
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sony.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2010 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: vaio vs samsung

The reason is simple. You wrote Blu-ray. Look at the Avatar BR fiasco and in the Cnet Samsung forum about Blu-ray playback issues.

If Blu-ray matters, you get the Sony.
Bob

Collapse -
another thing
by elfuegoeldoom / June 6, 2010 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Sony.

well blu-ray is a big deal i still had other questions, like is it really needed on a laptop? couldn't i just download movies? I'm also thinking about gaming with the laptop, is the difference in cpu speed gonna be noticeable with things like gaming?

Collapse -
Gaming on laptops
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2010 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: another thing

Continues to be a hot topic. And gaming laptops continue to not be cool running as we cram all that power into a small space. So there it is. Expect warm to very warm machines and less than normal product life spans.

If gaming is the goal, get a PS3, Xbox 360 or a desktop.

Unless you can live with hot shorted lived laptops.
Bob

PS. How much difference are we talking about? Most cases the GPU sets the speed, not the CPU.

Collapse -
cpu power
by elfuegoeldoom / June 6, 2010 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Gaming on laptops

well the vaio has a core i5 520m that initially has 2.4ghz, but with turboboost makes it clock in at 2.93ghz, while the samsung has an intel core i5 that clocks 2.26ghz

Collapse -
Which is far more power than
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2010 11:22 AM PDT
In reply to: cpu power

The famous Core 2 Duo's we had last year. Plus the i5 is hyperthreaded as well. No CPU power shortage at either GHz. The GPU and since it's BLU RAY all you need to do is to look at the troubles in the lank of BLU RAY with Avatar and many other titles to learn that only one name can be considered today.

Sad.
Bob

Collapse -
by elfuegoeldoom / June 6, 2010 2:24 PM PDT

im lost is there a big problem with avatar blu ray on all systems or what?

Collapse -
Avatar is one of many titles with issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2010 9:24 PM PDT
In reply to: avatar blu ray

The BluRay AVATAR title is just one of many titles with issues and if you do your research you learn something fast. You learn what company invented and promoted BR (Blu Ray) and that all other companies get to chase them for compatibility and updates.

You shouldn't be lost if you went to a web page like google.com and search on this -> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=BD+AVATAR+ISSUES

Even with fixes I am still seeing menu issues and more. What more can I do other than warn you and ask that you research this?
Bob

Collapse -
similar situation...
by psquare11 / June 10, 2010 5:45 AM PDT

I too had considered both of these laptops but then decided to switch out the samsung for the Asus K52jr-X4

I just made a post asking about those two today.
the asus has very similar specs to the sony.

Asus pros:
more GPU ram
lower cost ($850)
2 year warranty + 1 year accidental

Sony pros:
520 i5 CPU > 430 i5 CPU
more ports
better webcam
bluetooth
Maybe a better bluray player?

If you get the sony make sure you use ebates.com to get the 3% cash back.

Collapse -
very tight match
by love_gdgts / February 25, 2013 9:45 PM PST

in speaking of just brand quality, I would give Samsung the trophy. Samsung the company was formed itself by looking at Sony products. What Samsung did was they fulfilled the missing goods of Sony.

in speaking of multimedia I would say TIE. Samsung concentrates very hard on GPU and CPU . Now it is known as worlds best CPU maker and GPU maker. However you cant just have these two for perfect multimedia experience. Sony is known for best quality sound system, gaming experience.

lastly durability. This is something we can argue about. In MY experience Samsung is more reliable than Sony. This is because Ive had a Sony mobile phone and it only lasted me 6 months where as my Samsung mobile phone lasted me 3 years. Also ive heard of complaints on Sony laptops. They tend to overheat and crash down a lot due to hardware problems. So I give this one to Samsung

OVERALL its your choice but I would rather Samsung than Sony.

Collapse -
(NT) At 2 years old, this discussion has now closed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2013 2:00 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.