Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Vaio VGN-CS36MJ Abnormal shutting down behavior..!!

by vaios9 / September 22, 2011 12:32 AM PDT

Hi everyone,My vaio(intel centrino 2.53 Ghz) is really really troubling me a lot.After startup,everything runs fine till about 2-3 mins,when everything fails,screen goes black,hard disk light goes off,speakers die,usb ports shut off,if external display is connected beforehand,it shows no-signal message at this point.Power light and (battery charging light if charger is connected) stay on,fan runs normally as before and it never recovers from this state until i restart it forcefully,after which the same happens.In one of the many desperate attempts i used recovery disks to make it factory fresh and abnormally during this long process.the laptop didn't die.However after starting windows,it was the same old story.I also ran vaio-care hardware-diagnostic and it showed that the hardware was okay.Just for information,I didn't drop my laptop or spilled anything on it.Finally i took to a vaio approved service center and after charging me,they said that the gpu had failed and that the motherboard needs to be replaced.Unsurprisingly,the cost of the motherboard was few short of a new better sandy-bridge laptop.Interestingly,its 1.5 years old and still under 3 years vaio official warranty but neither is sony online support helping me nor is their service centers.The thought of the quality of the product(toshiba hard drive&LG lcd) and the money i spent on it and the quality of service makes me infuriated.As for the past 3-4 months its completely useless.Any Advice would be appreciated....Thanks..

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vaio VGN-CS36MJ Abnormal shutting down behavior..!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vaio VGN-CS36MJ Abnormal shutting down behavior..!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So it's like most laptops?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2011 4:59 AM PDT

Laptops tend to be four year affairs. Those that don't know this are infuriated. Your post sounds like the usual but let's ask a few questions and see what we can do.

Tell the forum about your 6 to 12 month regimen and use of the canned air on the vents.

That is, I find most owners to be in a state of bliss where they use the laptop but don' do the maintenance.
Bob

Collapse -
That's the surprise.....
by vaios9 / September 22, 2011 5:42 AM PDT

Since the time i bought it,i have mostly used for normal web surfing,chatting,studying powerpoint slides and using microsoft office in general......nothing hardcore....this was also shocking for me as i didn't push this laptop to its limits....as for the fan,i've done nothing to it....apart from occasional cleaning.

Collapse -
And what about the canned air on the vents?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 22, 2011 6:23 AM PDT

Without that the dust, lint and such accumulates and issues like what I read here are too common.

I'd consider a heavier cleaning such as noted in the CNET Laptop Troubleshooting forum to see if we can get the last few years out of the machine.
Bob

Collapse -
Sony VAIO Laptop Shutdown issue
by michelsmith / September 25, 2011 9:55 PM PDT

Hi,

Automatic shutdown is built into Windows, follow the steps to activate
and use it. Select a new shortcut by right clicking on the desktop.
Shortcut dialog box will appear. In the location box, type, the command:
shutdown.exe -s -f -t seconds. Click 'Next' to create the shortcut on
the desktop and rename it for easy use of the automatic shutdown
application. Please note the symbols signify the following properties.
Shutdown.exe indicates calling the shutdown executable; "s" is the
command for shutdown; "f" for performing a forced shutdown, and "t"
specifies the hour when the automatic shutdown will occur.

Collapse -
You replied to me
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2011 4:10 AM PDT

And did not tell if YOU completed the noted cleaning.
Bob

Collapse -
about vgn36mj recovery disk
by rabitesh / March 28, 2012 1:38 PM PDT

Hi dear i need vgn 36mj recovery disk . my disk got corrupt

Collapse -
(NT) Contacted Sony?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 31, 2012 8:22 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.