Car Tech forum

General discussion

V 4 vs V6 - same HP?

by Medtech / May 28, 2005 3:45 AM PDT

If 2 cars have same Horse power and one is V 6, the other is V 4.

Does it make any difference? What difference does it make?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: V 4 vs V6 - same HP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: V 4 vs V6 - same HP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There is no such thing as a V4...
by jrmar07 / May 28, 2005 4:54 AM PDT
In reply to: V 4 vs V6 - same HP?

It is called an inline 4 cylinder because the cylinders are all arranged in a straight line. In a V6 the cylinders are arranged in a V with 3 cylinders on each side. There are many 4 cylinders our there that make more horsepower than V6s. Without getting to technical a V6 will usually be the larger engine with more liters because their are more cylinders, a 3.5 liter for example as compared to 2.0. Size is the first differnce.

Inline 4 cylinders typically make most of their horsepower in the upper rpm range. They are high-revving engines that have redlines in 7000rpm range or so. V6 engines make their horsepower at a slightly lower rpm. This all has to do with the size and design of the engine. Where the engines make their horsepower is the second difference.

Of course you have to look at the torque differences. Usually more liters translates to more torque. So V6 engines usually have more torque than inline 4s. Also V6s usually have more low end torque (lower rpms).

Ok lets say you 200HP Pontiac G6 and an Acura TSX
Pontiac G6
3.5L V6 (201 HP @ 5600 rpm, 220 lb-ft @ 3200 rpm)
Acura TSX
2.4L I4 (200-hp @ 6800 rpm, 166 lbs-ft @ 4500 rpm)

The Acura makes its horsepower at 6800 rpm where the G6 is much lower at 5600 rpm. The G6 has more torque than the Acura available at a low 3200 rpm. All of the torque in the Acura is at 4500 rpm. So they both have the same horsepower but many differences. Of course there are other innovations that change these numbers such as variable-valve timing and exhaust, electronic-lift, double over head cams, number of valves, and so on.

Hope that helps.

Collapse -
no such thing as a V4?
by jonah jones / May 28, 2005 5:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
I mean..
by jrmar07 / May 28, 2005 5:32 AM PDT
In reply to: no such thing as a V4?

There are no V4s mass produced in an American automobile today.

Collapse -
Aaaaaaaaaaanyway
by Ryan T / May 29, 2005 12:04 PM PDT
In reply to: I mean..

Despite whether it's a V-4 or an I-4 (most of the time they make the 4 cylynders inline for space reasons), there are important differences between it and a v6.

CC for CC, a 6-cylynder engine has more combustion area, because of more cylynders, which would lead you to think that it'd have slightly more torque (power).

But that difference is slight. What you're going to find is that I4 engines have higher redlines, and you have to rev them much higher to get the power out of them.

V6's also tend to be smoother, as in they rev smoother, they provide power more smoothly, and they cause less vibration.

Collapse -
Inline engines
by jrmar07 / May 31, 2005 5:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Aaaaaaaaaaanyway

''V6's also tend to be smoother, as in they rev smoother, they provide power more smoothly, and they cause less vibration.''

I'm going to argue that statement. Typically inline engines are more smooth and refined in nature because they are simpler in design.

http://www.answers.com/topic/straight-engine
Its very interesting.

Collapse -
6 is smoother than 4 - I or V irrespective
by Ryan T / May 31, 2005 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Inline engines

Six combustions making one revolution of the engine is ALWAYS smoother than Four combustions making a revolution.

That wasn't an inline-versus-V comment, but a 6vs4 comment. I agree that a straight six would have less vibration because of the simpler nature of the configuration. However, if we're talking V6 (the most common today) versus I4, I know from experience that a v6 is smoother

Collapse -
Inline Engines
by jdosborn / May 31, 2005 8:11 AM PDT

Inline 4 cylinder engines are inherently rough due to a secondary imbalance from the connecting rods going side to side (front to back on a transverse engine) as the engine rotates. This becomes worse with larger displacement and is the reason 4 cylinder engines over 2 liters usually have counterbalancing shafts added to them.

Inline 6 cylinder engines have natural primary and secondary balance. It is hard to beat an inline 6 for smoothness.

V6 engines can be very smooth if they have 60 or 120 degrees between cylinder banks. They are usually also more compact and lighter than inline engines.

Collapse -
Inline straight 6
by taboma. / August 2, 2005 1:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Inline Engines

This is my first post to Car Tech. Discussions are very good and right on the money for answers.
Since you know straight 6's, why did Jeep decide to get rid of their old workhorse, the straight 6? It was smooth, powerful and a real workhorse. This goes back a few years ago when Jeep made the transition.
Thanks, and I will be posting again to ask a question.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Guess: Space and Money
by Ryan T / August 4, 2005 12:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Inline straight 6

I'm guessing it saves space to use a V6, and probably is easier to produce. Since almost all car and truck engines have now gone to Vs, I'm guessing it's just for ease.

Collapse -
Space and Money
by taboma. / August 4, 2005 5:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Guess: Space and Money

Ryan, Thanks.
Maybe more leg room in the front seats for taller people also.
A long time ago I was driving in Boston with my wife. Spotted Bill Russell, from the Boston Celtics. My wife waved to Bill, because she used to baby-sit for his kids while living in Reading, MA.
I saw Bill's knees near the side door window. He was really scrunched up trying to drive. Now, I think, it is easier for seven foot basketball players to drive their automobiles today.
Just my thoughts.

Kevin

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Got it, thanks.
by jrmar07 / June 1, 2005 5:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
V4 vs. V6
by starmany2k / July 20, 2005 10:26 AM PDT
In reply to: V 4 vs V6 - same HP?

All things being equal, (HP, torque, displacement, pounds per horsepower) number of cylinders make no difference except for smoothness.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.