Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

utube videos keep buffering

by brooklyn354 / May 11, 2010 9:54 AM PDT

I have a gateway laptop with tons of memory and space with a vista operating system. Any time I want to watch a video of something i.e. utube and the like....it goes for a second then buffers and takes forever to stop and show the video, then another second or two and it does it again. I can very rarely watch a video clip. What can be the problem? Like I said its not a memory issue or space as I have plenty of that so what can it be?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: utube videos keep buffering
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: utube videos keep buffering
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So How Fast Is Your Internet Connection?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 11, 2010 10:11 AM PDT

Most such streaming video problems are the result of a slow download speed. Dial-up won't do it.. And even the slow DSL speeds won't stream video well. Hopefully, you have 3.0 Mb download speed? If not, then you're best option for viewing video on the net is to increase your bandwidth which costs money.

Have you tested your internet speed? If not, click on the link below, which uses a Java speed test, (hopefully, you have Java installed) and use the link for a site nearest you.

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?java=1

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
videos keep buffering
by brooklyn354 / May 11, 2010 10:21 AM PDT

Hi, This is the result of my speed test for the Utube videos.

Download: 1000 (Kbps)
Upload: 1080 (Kbps)
In kilobytes per second: 122.1 down 131.8 up
User: anonymous

Collapse -
uTube or YouTube?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 12, 2010 5:57 AM PDT
In reply to: videos keep buffering

they are two different sites.

utube.com

I didn't visit the site because my browser security application WOT, (World of Trust), gave it a RED warning symbol in the Google search, and this is what WOT says about the site;
http://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/utube.com

I would not visit that site if you offered me money.

http://www.youtube.com on the other hand is considered safe.

So, which one are you having problems with?

Mark

Collapse -
all videos
by brooklyn354 / May 12, 2010 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: uTube or YouTube?

Yes I visit the safe site of Utube but it is not only that site it is ANY video that I want to view. What makes the constant buffering go on? is there a setting that I am missing?

Collapse -
Just Barely Enough
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 12, 2010 9:22 AM PDT
In reply to: all videos

As I mentioned above, 3 Mbps or faster will usually stream videos well and sometimes 1000 Kbps (1 Mbps) will do OK, but not always.. You need a faster download speed to be sure of smooth streaming.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
speed
by brooklyn354 / May 12, 2010 1:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Just Barely Enough

so how do i get a faster download speed? do i need to go through my internet provider and pay for the next price level. I have the middle price range now. sorry i am new to this sort of stuff.

Collapse -
Yep.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 12, 2010 6:33 PM PDT
In reply to: speed

If the internet download speed you are paying for now is just 1 Mbps then you will need to see what other packages your ISP has to offer.

You don't say who your ISP is, but usually they have a web site where they advertise their packages.

Mark

Collapse -
Yep, Again..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 13, 2010 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: speed

You'll need to pay for it.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.