Windows 7

Question

Utilizing the extra drives on my multi harddrive Asus

by ClissaT / July 12, 2013 12:45 AM PDT

I've been trying to find what I need to know in this forum for several hours but obviously can't think of the right search engine words or tags to use. So starting a new thread is my next move, so sorry if there is already a current or recent thread about this subject.

I have an Asus 64bit quad core etc, etc gaming laptop with separate video card for editing videos & large photo files & have noticed it slowing down already after only 2yrs use, particularly when using Photoshop.

Also there has been this nagging thing in back of my mind that everything is being stored on the one hard drive (C:\) which is not what I wanted when I bought it.

I wanted to put my extensive photo albums, videos & editing software on separate hard drives or partitions to give everything a good bit of room since the photo files are BIG.

Then there is all the other ancillary stuff which I wanted to store on various hard drives too (all within the laptop, not on data discs or that sort of thing). But everything seems to be on C:\. In the 'old days' of DOS I would have designated the drive location either C, D or E etc. Now windows does it for me so I never give it a second thought.

I assumed having 4 hardrives (2 x 2 partitioned hd's) that there would be some sort of handling software written into windows to spread the usage across all the available locations. Obviously this isn't the case yet & I have to manually designate which drive I want files saved to. I think I am getting old, ie expecting too much?

So... do I just change the designated drive letter? Can I put downloaded software on those same drives too or do they have to go into the C drive? Once I designate drive location for that file or software will windows then automatically continue to save to that location or do I have to change things everytime? That will drive me crazy!! And can I now move my albums to another location o9n a different drive?

When I looked at the partitions recently on the hard drives I saw everything jammed up in the one little corner of C drive & it is quite full. No wonder the machine is slowing down.

Also would those extra hard drives already have designated names? I ask this because when I see the various data discs, mobile sticks, etc they all get automatically named & already we are down to G:\ or maybe even H:\ now I think.

I hope I have made sense!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Utilizing the extra drives on my multi harddrive Asus
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Utilizing the extra drives on my multi harddrive Asus
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
"I assumed having 4 hardrives (2 x 2 partitioned hd's) that
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2013 1:04 AM PDT

"I assumed having 4 hardrives (2 x 2 partitioned hd's) that there would be some sort of handling software written into windows to spread the usage across all the available locations. Obviously this isn't the case yet & I have to manually designate which drive I want files saved to. I think I am getting old, ie expecting too much?"

-> Let's skip to this. I know you expected that in the decades that have passed there would be such but so far, no OS or app does this for us. We get to select where things install and when we save, where it saves to.

I read you see 2 drives, each with 2 partitions. Now that Windows 7 might have 2 other partitions and it's going to get very technical fast as we discussion Windows 7. EXAMPLE -> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/what-are-system-partitions-and-boot-partitions

So right out of the gate with one Drive C you usually see 3 partitions on that drive. The system, boot and C.

If there is another drive why partition that? Partitioning a drive does not increase speed as it did over a decade ago and the work you load onto the owner by making drive D, E and F would have them explode with questions and maybe get upset.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
From the Windows 7 Help & Support:
by wpgwpg / July 12, 2013 1:05 AM PDT

Redirect a folder to a new location

You can change the location of the folders in your personal folder (such as My Documents and My Pictures) by redirecting them. For example, if you have a large number of files in your My Documents folder, you might want to store the files on a different hard drive or on a network to free up space on your primary hard drive.

When you redirect a folder to a new location, you change where the folder, as well as the files in the folder, are stored. However, you'll still be able to access the folder the same way you did before you redirected it.

Tip
Instead of redirecting a folder, you might want to consider including a folder in one of your libraries. For example, if you have a large number of pictures, you can store those pictures in a location other than your primary hard drive, then include that location in your Pictures library. For more information, see Include folders in a library.
`

Picture of the Location tabThe Location tab in the Properties dialog of a folder

To redirect a folder to a new location
Click the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then click your user name.

Right-click the folder that you want to redirect, and then click Properties.

Click the Location tab, and then click Move.

Browse to the location where you want to redirect this folder. You can select another location on this computer, another drive attached to this computer, or another computer on the network. To find a network location, type two backslashes (\\) into the address bar followed by the name of the location where you want to redirect the folder (for example, \\mylaptop), and then press Enter.

Click the folder where you want to store the files, click Select Folder, and then click OK.

In the dialog that appears, click Yes to move all the files to the new location.

To restore a folder to its original location
Click the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then click your user name.

Right-click the folder that you previously redirected and want to restore to its original location, and then click Properties.

Click the Location tab, click Restore Default, and then click OK.

Click Yes to recreate the original folder, and then click Yes again to move all the files back to the original folder.

Note
If you don't see the Location tab in a folder's Properties dialog, then the folder can't be redirected. If you see the Location tab but can't edit the folder path, then you don't have permission to redirect the folder. For more information about permissions, see What are permissions?

Was this helpful?
Read the privacy statement online
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
About redirection. After folk lose their stuff
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 12, 2013 1:11 AM PDT

I've seen folk lose stuff on that feature. Or can't find it.

The old fashioned ways seem to have the edge such as when I save, I watch where I save.
Bob

Collapse -
I hear you
by wpgwpg / July 12, 2013 1:22 AM PDT

I don't do this myself because I've never had a problem referencing a drive letter. The OP was looking for a way to automate it, so I gave it to her. I agree there's really no substitute for learning how to use the file system though. It seems that some folks would rather take arsenic than do that though. Laugh

Collapse -
Answer
I don't know what you mean by
by orlbuckeye / July 12, 2013 3:30 AM PDT

you see everything jammed in one corner of the C drive. Hard drives slow down when applications are fragmented. HD get read by heads that read data off of spinning platters. Let use deleting a 5 K file from a drive and adding a 10 K file later. Well looks for the first open spot to save data on the disk so it would save 5K in the space that was deleted and save the next 5 K in the next location. Well when the heads have to jump around to retreive data it slows the system down. Thats why people defrag their systems and what that does is atke this fragmented data and move it so it's together and the heads grab in 1 swoop. Another thing to increase speed is using a page file which is called virtual memory. This helps when multi-tasking and when you switch between tasks the task you are leaving gets cached into this virtual memory. As your drive approaches it's capacity it has less and less room to use as virtual memory. Under system in control panel you can choose how much set how much space you want to be used as virtual memory or let windows select how much to use.

Collapse -
Utilizing the extra drives
by ClissaT / July 21, 2013 1:11 AM PDT

Oh my goodness! Thankyou for the replies Happy Somehow this question got untracked in my preferences & I didn't realize I even had responses.

Orlbuckeye I do defrag even though MS advises not to do it for W7. Sometimes when I check those things it tells me the drive doesn't need defragging. But when I use Photoshop I know I am running out of virtual memory. I changed it on my old XP to the maximum size but W7 doesn't seem to like doing that. When I asked about expanding the virtual memory I was told it will expand automatically as required but I am not convinced.

Wpgwpg Thanks for your detailed reply. My main failing right now is that I have forgotten how to save stuff to another location. That is due in part to loosing stuff already. I will follow your instructions & try to relearn what used to be second nature to me 25yr ago. Yes there are libraries & the main one must be massive as it contains the whole of my XP computer plus every daily type folder including my extensive photo system.

R. Proffitt Now regarding the partitions, I was under the impression it actually had 4 hard drives but on inspection of the system when I got it home, it showed only 2 hard drives each partitioned & called a different drive. I can tell you I felt a bit ripped off actually considering the price I paid for it! Then again I was wondering how they could fit 4 individual hard drives into a laptop.

I understand about C drive having the system, boot & all the stuff stored on C that I can see by looking at the tree. That's what I was meaning when I said everything was jammed up in one corner of C drive. When it showed the pie chart, all my folders in 3 libraries were jammed into that small partition available on C Drive. No wonder it is slowing down.

I remember discovering a long time ago that if I want to load software it has to be loaded onto C drive so it has access to the system to work. I hope I'm explaining myself well enough. Or maybe I have the goat by the tail? In anycase if I can get the bulk of the big library folders onto other drives, then C drive can be for the affore mentioned important stuff.

Anyway the other day I checked the status of the drives again & it appears 2 drives are pretty full. One is designated for holding the back-ups & in my case they are images which seem VERY big so that 396Gb is all but full. Cdrive is also almost full leaving only D drive I think empty. The photo albums take up almost 90Gb alone so it would be good to get that off C drive.

I know what you are now thinking "what happened to the 4th drive?" Well yes, so am I. It's called a Data drive whereas the others are called .......ummm...sorry I cant remember, but it made me wonder exactly what I can & can't store on that drive.

I have to make the virtual memory as large as possible so Photoshop movie maker will work properly. The photo editor also lags & stutters if I use the original size photos of 10-15mb when making collages of 10-15phots each. It works slower than I can click & that pees me right off! A computer should work at least as fast as I can & I'm getting pretty long in the tooth. lol

Ok so I'll follow the directions to redirect the folders in the main libraries to the empty drive & see if that makes a good difference. However I'll also bear in mind that it is possible to loose stuff if I don't keep a good record of it. I remember I used to keep shortcuts to my drives on the desktop of my (sorry I can't remember what it was in 1993-6) & before that it was a DOS system so I kept a handwritten list of what folders were on which drives.

OK so I'm off to try to move or redirect folders.

Thanks a bunch guys :thumbs up:
Cheers

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.