Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Using USB port causes crash

by Crowyne / February 25, 2005 3:31 PM PST

Running WinXP Home w/SP2 on a Dell Dimension 4550, I had used the front USB port for a camera without any problems. But when I bought a Lexar Jump Drive, my computer crashed when I plugged it in. I assumed it was the J-Drive, and exchanged it for a Kingston 128, which, oddly enough, worked for a little while. But when I got a Kingston 512, it crashed again. And plugging in a 4-port hub, I get the same crash. This is true for all USB ports on the machine. The Microsoft response pages I get (after "recovery from serious error") identify either: a device driver as the problem; or graphics device driver with a "STOP 0x000000EA_Thread_Stuck_In_Device_Driver" message.

I've already confirmed that Hardware Acceleration is set to None, but I don't know where to go from here. I have the Dell Resource CD with the drivers on it, but I'm not sure about using it without a little advice first about what NOT to do, etc. Can I just reinstall all the drivers, using Device Manager or something? Anyone? I'd be very grateful for any help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using USB port causes crash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using USB port causes crash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
mass storage usb driver
by glennlee / February 25, 2005 3:45 PM PST

Your mass storage usb driver has been corrupted. Go to control panel, system hardware, devices, usb mass storage device. Select update driver, follow instructions of installation wizard. Have your Dell drivers disc ready to insert when prompted. As a bit of insurance, set a restore point before doing this, in case you get a bad result, or just use the "rollback" feature of the update window. Good luck. This is an easy fix.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by Crowyne / February 26, 2005 11:44 AM PST

Thank you so much!! I was really thinking I might have to take the 'puter to the hospital. I really appreciate this; am going to do the fix now. Will post results.
Um...did I say thank you?

Collapse -
Shoot! No luck...
by Crowyne / February 26, 2005 3:38 PM PST

I updated drivers for all ten items listed in Device Manager under the USB heading; several accepted updating, but when updating the two USB Generic Hub listings, the wizard came back with a "no more recent driver found". After updating all items, I plugged in the 4-port hub, and plugged my Kingston 128mb into the hub. It promptly crashed. I then tried the troubleshooting option, which suggested uninstalling & reinstalling the hardware device. Upon reinstalling, the wizard noted that the USB Generic Hub had trouble installing, might not work. A yellow checkmark now appeared by the device listing. I tried updating driver, got the same "no more recent than..." message. Then I uninstalled the device again, left it that way and plugged in the hub. This made the hub listing appear again in the Device Manager dialog box, but the computer didn't recognize any new hardware in My Computer. I tried plugging the 512mb J-Drive directly, without the hub: it crashed again.

But the very odd thing is that if I directly plug in my Kingston 128mb, it works fine. I can't understand how that can be. It rules out a purely mechanical problem with the port. It crashed when I tried using a USB port on the back of the computer, with and without the hub. How does it work - does each port have its own set of drivers, etc? I'm not sure what to do now. I can just keep on using my 128mb, but that's unsatisfactory. Any ideas?

Collapse -
USB Problem
by Stan Chambers / February 26, 2005 4:08 PM PST
In reply to: Shoot! No luck...

I'm not well versed in usb matters, but the following is from

"Some Dell computers do not provide enough voltage from the USB ports to power some USB devices.

Dell recommends purchasing a powered USB hub to provide the USB devices with enough power to operate correctly. A USB keyboard with built in hub is not a solution and can worsen this problem."

Here's the link to this site. It offers much information about usb.

Best of Luck

Collapse -
Many thanks!
by Crowyne / February 26, 2005 4:33 PM PST
In reply to: USB Problem

Thanks Stan! That makes sense, and my hub does have an AC adapter. I'll go read.

Collapse -
What I found. . .
by Coryphaeus / February 26, 2005 10:41 PM PST

I have a home built 2 Gig machine with 6 USB-2 ports. And an external drive case that will hold a HD or optical drive. One day when I plugged the case in the PC rebooted. Scared the sh** out of me. Tried again and reboot.

What I found, completely by accident is that I needed to plug the case into it's external power first, then plug in the USB cord.

May have been stray static and when plugging it into external power the static was drained off.

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about internet
connections and data, and download free software.

Suppose you were an idiot. . . And suppose you were a member of Congress. . . But I repeat myself.
--Mark Twain

Collapse -
My fix
by tazogamer / January 21, 2014 9:09 PM PST

Although this tread is OLD, the problem is STILL ACTUAL, SO HERE IS MY SOLUTION. Read the following:
I HAD USB mouse, which causes the error, especially when it was plugged.
(I have detected that after testing the BIOS option for USB enable/disable).
So, i unplagged it, and then with LAPTOP's built in mouse, i browsed INTERNET and i founded solutions at -

2) (in the middle of the topic, someone said TO roll back to old USB instalation state, and that solved problem !!!!!)

My FIX was following:
after i uninstalled the MOUSE Driver from DEVICE MANAGER, then i copied usbport.sys,usbui.dll, usbhub.sys, usbuhci.sys files from

and after that, i pluged my mouse, and windows works normally!!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.