Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Using USB Flash Drive for powerpoint presentations w/ video

by Vergeront / November 8, 2008 12:53 PM PST

I need help in using my USB flash drive. The computer systems I use are all windows XP. I use powerpoint presentations with movie inserts. . The flash drive works great on the computer I'am using at the time, but when I use the flash drive in another computer to run my presentations the movie inserts don't start up automatically and I have to manually insert them again. Each computer sees the flash drive as a different drive i.e. C:/ or D:/ how do I tell the computer what drive it is so the movies will start automatically?
I have all the movies in one file and the powerpresentations in another file. Both files are in the same flash drive. How do I tell the computer to see the powerpoint movie inserts?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using USB Flash Drive for powerpoint presentations w/ video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using USB Flash Drive for powerpoint presentations w/ video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I suspect
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 8, 2008 7:29 PM PST

that this is to do with the links to the movie samples in the PowerPoint Presentation.

I can't tell you much because I have never created a PowerPoint file and I don't know the procedure, but if that fie has links to the movies that include the full path, eg E:\Movies Folder\Movie1.mpg, then when you start the presentation it will look for the movie files in drive E. If that doesn't exist, or if the flash drive is loaded as a different drive on different computers, then that search will fail.

You need to change the link to the movies so that it does not refer back to the drive letter. Instead of an absolute link, you need a relative link.

The absolute link will look like E:\Movies Folder\Movie1.mpg

The relative link will look something like ..\Movies Folder\Movie1.mpg

The ..\ tells the software to step back to the previous directory, (in ths case the root directory of the flash drive), then look for the folder "Movies Folder".

I hope that helps. I know it isn't very clear.

Mark

Collapse -
How do I do a relative link?
by Vergeront / November 10, 2008 3:06 AM PST
In reply to: I suspect

relative link of ..\ goes where? What tool bar do I use? Is it on the main folder or do I make a copy of the folder and rename it?

Collapse -
Have a look at
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 10, 2008 3:53 AM PST

how you inserted the movies in the first place.

Those places in the PowerPoint document where you inserted the movies will be 'links' to the movie file locations. I can't tell you how to look at those links because I have not used PowerPoint, but if you find the place where one has been inserted, try right clicking that entry and see what displays in the menu that appears. It may show Properties, or Edit or something else that is relevant.

The link will look something like E:\Movies Folder\Movie1.mpg where E is the flash drive where the movie was saved to, and 'Movies Folder' is whatever folder name you have given to where the movies are.

Then you change/edit that location to ..\Movies Folder\Movie1.mpg , or whatever the movie name is.

I am unsure what the convention is here. It may be that the slashes should be forward, not backward, ie;
../Movies Folder/Movie1.mpg

But what matters is that you remove the E:\ or E:/ and substitute ..\ or ../

I hope that helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Links.
by Kees Bakker / November 10, 2008 3:56 AM PST

An example of an absolute link: c:\documents and settings\vergeront\my documents\presentations\school\nov08_elections\intro.mov

Same link as a relative link (starting in nov08_elections, where your .ppt file about the november 2008 elections is located): intro.mov
See, I just type the filename. So can you!

In http://www.indezine.com/products/powerpoint/ppquestions.html find the paragraph called "path perils". Moreover, it shows I was wrong with my path starting with ..
Put everything in one folder and just type the filename. Couldn't be simpler. Or buy a program that puts everything together in one exe-file that you can run.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Well, I've learned something new as well.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 10, 2008 7:23 PM PST
In reply to: Links.

It makes no sense that PowerPoint can't accept relative links in other sub-folders. All other Microsoft products do.

But, there you go. It can't, so we have to use the methods available.

Mark

Collapse -
put information on a flash drive into a powerpoint presentat
by flx0505 / October 15, 2009 3:02 AM PDT

i do not know how to convert the info to power point

Collapse -
Locking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2009 3:06 AM PDT

It appears Vergeront received their answers and while you have a question, it's incomplete. Locking this one so you can make a new complete post.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.