Internet Services Providers

General discussion

Using two ISP connections simultaneously to add bandwidth

by jjijonc / March 7, 2010 2:22 PM PST

Hi,
I use Windows 7. I need to be able to use ?for internet connectivity- two separate ISP connections simultaneously adding the two bandwidths. I have an ADSL, so called broad-band service with one ISP; however, the service in my area is quite slow (256kbs at best), most of the time is quite stable but goes off more than often. I also have a USB modem provided by a cell-phone company. This service is very fast (2 mbs) but it has its own problems: the speed and the connectivity are intermittent making navigation and online gaming a bit difficult.
Since the ADSL adapter comes in through a LAN modem and the cell-phone company?s connection comes in through a USB modem, I have no problem plugging the two things at the same time. However my system uses only ONE of the two, as shown by my bandwidth monitor program. In fact, as soon as I plug in the USB adapter, Windows connects only to this service and the ADSL input goes off.
It would be terrific if my system would be able to sue both adapters at the same time, adding the bandwidth when both are active and supplementing one to the other when either one goes temporarily down.
Would anyone in your community know an answer to this quest? I would be grateful for advice.
Jacinto

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using two ISP connections simultaneously to add bandwidth
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using two ISP connections simultaneously to add bandwidth
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It's called bonding . . .
by Coryphaeus / March 8, 2010 9:06 PM PST

and can be a PITA to configure. In your case it'll never work as bonding must be used to combine/bond two like sources such as two DSL lines. Bonding wired and wireless will never work as they both must be connected to the same source at each end.

Sorry.

Collapse -
PITA
by bill012 / March 8, 2010 9:23 PM PST

I had written part of a response to this one and it got too long and technical so I decided not to post it. I think your says it best.

If anyone really wants to do this go search for "interface metric" and the "route" command. You will never get true load balancing doing it this way.

Collapse -
Faster speeds
by mark_8464 / March 12, 2010 9:20 AM PST

I have heard of doing this using an external router something like Linksys or XRoads Networks will balance sesions, the Edge2WAN will also actually bond the links for faster wen downloads. I don't see how you can do this from within Windows, especially the bonding...

Collapse -
Use multiple Internet connection at same time
by makdu / April 4, 2011 4:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Faster speeds
Collapse -
Broadband Bonding
by ztzzsa / May 11, 2012 3:55 AM PDT

Hi Jacinto,

I've been doing some research and you actually can combine multiple Internet lines (eg including a cable modem) to make a faster and more reliable one. The Internet lines can be different technologies and can come from different providers, and it is not necessary to have special software (e.g. MLPPP) or hardware at the provider premises - they don't even have to know you are bonding their line to another. I have seen this done at a trade show recently at layer 4.

For example, you could bond together four ADSL lines at 6Mbps down/ 768k up to create a 24Mbps down/ 3Mbps up connection, even for a single file transfer or a streaming video source.

I'm sure if you google search for "broadband bonding" you'll find what you're looking for.

Hope this helps your search.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.