Phones forum

General discussion

Using Smartphone Without Voice Plan

by victorwl / June 20, 2010 12:17 PM PDT

Hi, I want to get a smartphone soon, and I was wondering if it's possible to save money by foregoing a voice plan and using a program like Google Voice or Skype to make and receive calls with just a data plan. I did do a couple of searches on this topic, and there's a lot of buzz about free VOIP apps and stuff like that, but I can't seem to find someone who actually ditched their voice plan and phone number for just the VOIP app. Is it possible to save money this way, or it is still advisable to have a voice plan with a number?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using Smartphone Without Voice Plan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using Smartphone Without Voice Plan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pre-paid for light calling
by Pepe7 / June 21, 2010 4:20 AM PDT

Sure. If you don't use voice much you very well might be able to get by with Skype/Google Voice/etc. I have friends who stick to this routine for the most part instead of a traditional post-paid cellular service plan and/or landline. They add Skype out minutes to be able to stick to a single platform (=laptop). It's a great configuration if your broadband connection is reliable.

Collapse -
smart phone with data plan
by JAVED192 / June 24, 2010 5:30 AM PDT

try this get prepaid t mable 100 dollar card with 1000 mint for one year you will have the cell no for one year and take the data planfor sip call thanks

Collapse -
No data plan not available.
by halktoo / June 24, 2010 5:44 AM PDT

The problem with data plan only is the carriers don't want to provide the service. T-Mobile had a data-only plan for the Sidekick but they didn't extend it to other devices. I use a Nexus one with a prepaid SIM for voice and I depend on WiFi for data. On-the-go Voice calls are inexpensive and local voice and data is free over WiFi. It works well for me because I usually have WiFi available. You do lose some capabilities and a few useful apps, like navigation, when you're on the road.

Collapse -
Not many options
by fondy / June 24, 2010 7:18 AM PDT

If you already have a wifi-capable smartphone, you could get a personal hotspot device like the Sprint Overdrive or Verizon/AT&T Mifi. One problem with this scenario is that the Overdrive/Mifi typically costs about $60/month. I think the average smartphone plan (even with the lowest number of minutes) runs about $70/month, so you wouldn't be saving a ton of cash. I think with the Verizon Mifi, you can opt for the $40 - 250MB plan, but I don't know if that would be enough data to get you through the month.

I don't know of any carriers who are willing to activate a smartphone for data-only. Even if they were willing, I doubt they would offer you the typical $30/month data plan rate when they can simply force you to pick one of the above options and pay twice as much.

I wonder if it would be possible to use the micro-SIM from an iPad 3G in an unlocked, GSM smartphone (either one that accepts micro-SIMs or by modifying the micro-SIM to fit into a standard size SIM tray? My gut feeling says the answer is probably No.

Collapse -
Thanks for all the responses, guys.
by victorwl / June 24, 2010 7:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Not many options

When I originally started looking at plans, it looked like Sprint was offering a data-only plan, but upon closer inspection, it was for something else. I see now that data-only is not an option. Sorry, I was confused.

Collapse -
Data only cell phone
by siberdraknon / June 24, 2010 9:06 AM PDT

I inquired about a data only smart phone plan through Verizon this past spring. They offered me unlimited data for $50 a month. $20mo more than normal since I didn't have a voice plan. I would still be able to use the phone for regular calls if I liked, I would just be charged a quarter per minute.

Collapse -
Ooh, so it does exist!
by victorwl / June 24, 2010 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Data only cell phone

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the added expense of $20 would still be cheaper than getting a voice plan. So I guess my question is again, could I potentially make unlimited calls and texts through Skype/Google Voice or whatever other app is out there?

Collapse -
Question another spin on smartphone without calling
by mememewhywhywhy / September 18, 2012 10:56 AM PDT

When I upgrade hdwe, can I use old VerizonDroid3 as a minitablet using only wi-fi connection. It would be a free android Web-access device for me if it worked.

Collapse -
Old discussion is now locked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2012 11:36 AM PDT

I see you created a new discussion so this old post is now closed.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.