Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Using Pantech UML290 LTE USB Modem with Netgear router

by netmarks / March 8, 2011 4:53 AM PST

For 3 years my Pantech 190 modem has been plugged in to my Dell desk top and internet access for my Dell laptop has beem shared thru a Netgear router .

I purchased the new Verison 290/4G modem. It workrd great until I tried to print on my HP printer thru the network. No luck.

Verizon says that the 290 is not a dial up modem, but instead looks like a network adaptor and the desk top doesn't want to run two networks - the Netgear and the 290. In other words, the 290 will not work on a system that is connected to any other network.

Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using Pantech UML290 LTE USB Modem with Netgear router
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using Pantech UML290 LTE USB Modem with Netgear router
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
dual nic machines
by bill012 / March 8, 2011 6:54 AM PST

Windows does not like to run on 2 interfaces at the same time. I am assuming you have the laptop plugged into the netgear and the printer is also plugged there.

open a dos window and issue the command ROUTE PRINT

You should see ip addresses for both your lan and the verizon. you should see routes for 0.0.0.0 in the table 2 times with different gateways and metrics. The metric is how it determines which to use.

You should be able to use the ROUTE ADD command to add your printer IP using a 255.255.255.255 mask and point it to the gateway for your lan. Since there is not a corresponding route for the verizon it should use this entry.

I assume if you turn the verizon off it allows you to surf via the internet and print and as soon as you turn it on it breaks the printer again?

Note you are getting very lucky since many times the metric for the ethernet is better (ie lower) than any other adapters. A lot of machines will ignore any other interface when you plug the ethernet cable in. You can change this metric in the interface settings.

It is quite a challenge to get a machine with multiple nic cards to function but mostly it is understanding the ROUTE command and how it selects routes from this table.

Collapse -
uml290
by Kman2011 / November 18, 2011 3:57 PM PST

I think the issue is that the modem switches between 4g and 3g...So I apologize that I do not have the link at hand but if you Google for making the modem work with a zoom 4501 USB router it will take you to a sight to download a application that access the firmware of the modem and you can disable the 4G making 3G only. Just make sure access is shutdown run the app with modem in pc and follow instructions (and I not suggesting that you do it or do it at your own risk.) That should work in your scenario, however I'm checking if the Netgear 3g/4g USB modem is truly capable of working with that specific modem and if I get time I'll try and let you know. It might be a better option to upgrade then trying to use your dell as a bridge between the router and modem its better to have it integrated that way you just use your wireless as everyone else and the printer should work seamlessly and you are still using the USB modem for your internet and keep the 4g for when or if its available in your area...

Collapse -
Update to my reply
by Kman2011 / November 18, 2011 4:38 PM PST
In reply to: uml290

From what I see the two options are a Cradlepoint MBR95 router it is capable of 3 or 4g signals all of the other ones I have seen, even the Netgear I mentioned earlier are listed as 3/4G but in the manual states 3G only so there is no guarantee that a 4G will work especially the UML290.However the Cradlepoint says 4g in the manual..The other option is to upgrade the modem to a MiFi from your carrier if you have and available upgrade. Both options will compete the same thing, one just uses your current device the other replaces it, should be the same monthly charge, buying price unknown, so which is better for you is for you to decide. (do some further research just to make sure it is compatible, or wait for me to see if it works since I will probably be doing this setup I however have no eta when I would be getting back or having this done.)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.