TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Using NTSC LCD TV IN INDIA ( with PAL B/G TV system)

by sanjaywahi / March 11, 2007 11:50 PM PDT

Because LCD TVs are priced steep in INDIA ( Sony 46" XBR2 is US $ 6000 vs. approx $ 3000 in the USA ) I am planning to import one from the US.
However there is one major hitch. All TVs in the USA are sold with the NTSC system only. Whereas in INDIA we have the PAL B/G TV system and all cable/DTH/ DVDs are in PAL only.
Question is how can one use such NTSC only LCD TV sets in places like India? Obviously the solution should be such that there is NO degradation in picture quality, especially in 1920x1020 resolution true HD LCD Tvs.

Sanjay Wahi

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using NTSC LCD TV IN INDIA ( with PAL B/G TV system)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using NTSC LCD TV IN INDIA ( with PAL B/G TV system)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Analog receiver won't work.
by Kees Bakker / March 12, 2007 12:05 AM PDT

Analog isn't HD either, of course. Don't know if digital will work.

Maybe better import from a country where they sell the PAL-model. Are you sure you won't have to pay high import taxes?

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Won't work!!!! Sorry!!!
by jcrobso / March 12, 2007 5:55 AM PDT

A Panasonic industrial plasma would work, but they don't have any tuners. But you could use cable tuner and PAL DVD player. John

Collapse -
I have the same question
by rimpster / March 14, 2007 10:41 AM PDT

I am in the exact same position and looking for a good answer. Know of some people who have shipped TVs from U.S. (NTSC) and have faced no problems. Spoke to some who said the settop box that you receive from Tata Sky or other DTH service providers in India convert the signal internally without creating any problem. Spoke to Tata Sky twice with absolutely contradictory answers. Someone took Sceptre TV to Delhi who believed that the TV is NTSC PAL compatible. I checked up with Sceptre to find that it isn't. However, he faced no problems making it work in India. Tracked some other threads on the internet, again with conflicting signals. One such link is attached here but honestly, want to be absolutely sure before i ship it. Some more thoughts

Collapse -
Multisystem TV
by Bazarbek / March 16, 2007 4:09 PM PDT

You can buy multisystem TVs here in USA. I don't know where are you live. In Seattle located one shop. Try

Collapse -
check this out...........
by gautam.a / April 5, 2007 6:32 PM PDT

I was thinking on similar lines but a recent visit to one of the local exhibition here in india has helped me change my mind. I ended-up buying a 32 inch ONIDA LEXINI HD-Ready LCD for equivalent $1000. All the companies(even Sony) are offering special schemes during the cricket world cup and you can find a good 32 inch LCD within a range of $1000 - $1300. I spent sometime comparing this model with the proclaimed best & the brightest, and made a choice based on picture-quality and price-value. The picture in my new Lexini is GREAT and price also doesn't pinch too much.

Collapse -
by Riverledge / April 6, 2007 10:19 AM PDT

good luck,

Collapse -
by psychem1 / December 2, 2009 4:19 AM PST

Dear Mr.Sanjay

Go in Google and check for multi system TV sold in USA.
Sony and Samsung have many models right from 13" to 65".
Hope this will be helpful.

ps: by the way can you let me know the custom duty to be
paid in INDIA for TV, DVD and Surround system.

Collapse -
make it work
by sendhak1978 / January 26, 2010 2:28 AM PST

I took a 40" last month. Paid $200 duty .. u can always bargain. I bought NTSC 2 PAL converter & it didnt work despite of it meeting the specs. soln: buy a dish TV with VGA output -- so no NTSC or PAL.. just digital.I spent too much time in this ans I believe this is the best workable soln

Collapse -
Great! finally I see someone who tested this
by smalineni / January 29, 2010 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: make it work

sendhak1978, great to see your note.

This has been an ongoing thought in my mind for alteast 6 months now whether to buy a TV in India or Singapore or USA. Read many many forums/blogs. But totally confused.

The LCD TV prices in US seem to be cheaper than India or Singapore. The multisystem TVs in US are priced very very high and they mostly carry the older models :(. You can get a latest model TV for the price of a 2 year old Multisystem tv similar size.

Finally shopped around to buy the Sony Z5100 series after researching that this is a dual voltage TV. Checked with Sony Support about the models and they mentioned that most of the newer models have the dual voltage in them but not Pal/ntsc.
This is where I am stuck..the NTSC/Pal systems in USA and India.

Also found in some Blogs that the Sun direct in india is offering HDMI Output to TV and thought that should solve the problem as HDMI ( Digital signal) and NTSC/PAL (Analog). Digital to Digital should be OK was my understanding. Correct me if I am wrong!

Finally, I see your note here that the NTSC TV is working in India with the Dish TV with VGA. Thank you for confirming that NTSC/Pal converter is not required.

My Question:
Are the picture and sound quality of the TV the same as viewed in USA as NTSC? Or in other words, Is the picture quality same as the same model TV in India while watching the digital channels?

Please let me know.

Collapse -
How did you ship it? by which airlines?
by moviensongs1 / November 23, 2010 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: make it work

Thanks for the details. I'm planning to buy a TV and send it with my parents back to India.
Can you please share with us that, how did you take the TV to India?
If by Air, then on which airlines did you travel? or by Cargo?

Please share or provide us the details, how to you had sent the TV to India, so that I will also follow the same.

Collapse -
Taking US/NTSC TV to India
by winay75 / February 20, 2011 12:44 AM PST

I took a Samsung LED TV to India as recently as December 2010 and let me tell you it made financial sense to me.
Good: Cost of Samsung LED 46" - $1050 + $140 for Booking it as a Luggage in Emirates = $1190 + Under Table at airport $25 = $1215 (about 51,000 INR)

Bad: You need a converter in India. US TVs work on NTSC signal mode while Asian TVs work on PAL signal mode. So in most cases (unless you TV has both NTSC & PAL Mode - which you can find out by going into the Menu Mode or reading the manual) you will have to buy a Signal Converter which are available from $25 to $150 on numerous web sites like Amazon, e Bay etc.. (remember more money is no assurance of a great product - so a 40$ deal should be good enough).

So finally your cost works out to around $1250 (about 57000 INR) which I thought is a great deal (considering the Indian price of 85000 for the same model). The things that get irritating are 1. you might have a few wires visible around your TV (if you dont conceal them properly) and 2. You need a cable TV guy / TV Mechanic in India to plug in your wires correctly (if you are not a techy).

Though you dont get HD Signals in India (only a few channels are HD there) you still can walk away with the high feeling of having an LED TV for a great price. The same is valid for LCD TVs also.

Always remember to change the original packing of the TV and move it into a similar box available in UHaul for 4 or 5 bucks (Cut the thermocol if required). This will help you in transporting (Less cost) and avoid the prying eyes of customs officers... say its a used tv.

Hope this was helpful... reach me on for more help.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.