Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

using MP3 players for transcription

by Lee Moz / December 17, 2008 1:22 AM PST

I'm doing fieldwork in Mozambique and need one or two cheap MP3 players for my assistants to use while transcribing field recordings, mostly voice/speech. My question is if it's possible to forward or reverse within the same recording or 'song'. That is, can one listen to the same 10-15 seconds, i.e., phrase or sentence, over and over? I'm particularly interested in the Sony NWZ-B105F (2GB, black) MP3 Flash player or the 1GB model in the same series. Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: using MP3 players for transcription
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: using MP3 players for transcription
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2008 1:32 AM PST

I do not see such a feature in these MP3 players. However if you can copy the MP3 recording back to a PC you could try http://www.nch.com.au/scribe/

Collapse -
using MP3 players for transcription
by Lee Moz / December 17, 2008 5:12 PM PST
In reply to: No.

thanks R., do you know of any MP3 players that might have this feature? Otherwise, as you suggest, I might have to edit the recordings into manageable transcription chunks before giving them to my assistants.

Collapse -
MP3 Transcription
by doddy39 / January 5, 2009 6:58 AM PST

Hi

I would like to second the use of audio scribe -- an excellent pieces of software for MP3 Transcription. You can set up "hot keys" with this transcription software so the MP3 recording of the interview can skip forward and back.

It might also be worth investing in an external microphone and make note of the recording conditions when recording an interview (there are so good tips on recording here http://transcriptdivas.co.uk ).

The last thing to consider is that transcribing an interview can take a lot longer than you think, there are some basic guidelines that London Transcription Services http://transcriptdivas.co.uk/the-best-london-transcription-services-and-prices/ are using as ground rules for setting transcription service fees.

Collapse -
transcription mp3 player=search terms. this page=4th hit.
by supersanonymous / April 26, 2013 12:57 PM PDT
In reply to: MP3 Transcription

I don't know any range of commercial software productions, so I can't compare any.

I'm on a mac that comes with garageband which will get the job done.

First you need to get the audio into garageband. That can be a fraying hack bureaucracy pandering exercise. The only way I know of getting a computer's audio output channel into garageband, "soundgarden", is buggy, because if I want to change audio input channels after enabling soundgarden for some reason I need to utterly delete soundgarden from everywhere on the computer (library addons extensions deleting-ferreting etcetera); even though the sound input pop up menu includes other audio-ins. Getting audio into garageband is something I need tech support with.

If you get your audio in garageband on a track, you can use the "loop button" with the yellow slider to select regions for constant replaying. Keep on advancing the yellow loop region while the thing plays back. But you have to manually use your mouse for that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.