TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

Using Monitor HDMI ARC port just for normal HDMI purposes?

by HDMIARC / April 23, 2013 12:50 AM PDT

I recently bought this Panasonic 32" LED TV Model No. TH-L32XM5S and it includes two HDMI ports, HDMI 1 and HDMI 2(ARC).

Have been reading up the net all about the ARC operation and I kind of understand what ARC is and what it is meant for. However I got a different issue here which is not commonly mentioned, or rather hard for me to find. Thus I will like to get some help here.

I will like to hook up my monitor to my PS3 and Desktop Computer using two HDMI Cables (1.4 I suppose) to the two different HDMI ports.

The second HDMI port doesn't seem to receive any signals from whichever device I input. (I tried switching the devices across the ports, both devices work on HDMI port 1 but not HDMI port 2 ARC.)

I am not using any amp or sound systems, I just want to use both the ports like any other HDMI ports. Within the monitor settings there is this CEC on/off which I assume plays a part in the HDMI ARC. I tried playing around with that too, doesn't seem to help either.

Please give me some advice on what I should do, or point out any mistakes I'm making, thanks!

HDMIARC has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using Monitor HDMI ARC port just for normal HDMI purposes?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using Monitor HDMI ARC port just for normal HDMI purposes?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by HDMIARC

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2013 1:20 AM PDT

"HDMI 1.4 introduces two features called ARC (Audio Return Channel) and HEC (HDMI Ethernet Channel).[58][59][93] These features use two pins from the connector: a previously unused pin and the hot plug detect pin."

Sorry but the ports should work but folk have reported that HDMI ports can get confused and lock up. This is a product defect! However you can try turning off the monitor then unplugging all connections to it including HDMI and POWER then waiting 15 minutes for it to forget.

I can't write a dissertation about HDMI security but it's in play here at times and why we do the power removal and wait.

Good luck.

Collapse -
proposed actions taken
by HDMIARC / April 23, 2013 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Link, comment.

I have tried disconnecting the cables and reboot the entire set up but wasn't able to get things working. Just to add on the fact that it always shows "retrieving data" when I change to HDMI 2 ARC with my remote, and goes "no signal" after awhile.

Just to confirm with you, it is supposed to work even when I am not using the ARC function in my setup right? (take my situation as an example)

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2013 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: proposed actions taken

The PS3 slim does seem to pop up in the Samsung discussions a lot. I can't explain why the PS3 slim does this but it seems finicky from my view.

As presented the set is defective.

Collapse -
Regarding ARC functionality
by Pepe7 / April 23, 2013 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: proposed actions taken

.Keep in mind that all components involved have to support the ARC standard for it to work. AND IME, even that isn't a guarantee of 100% success in utilizing the ARC functionality bolted on to HDMI 1.4. It's a little bit of trial and error for certain.

Hope you can ultimately figure it out a solution.

Collapse -
non ARC equipment on ARC port
by HDMIARC / April 23, 2013 4:47 AM PDT

But lets say I'm not in the need of ARC function and I just want to use the HDMI port to use the monitor? Do my HDMI cable and equipment require ARC standards? What I was confused is that the ARC is suppose to only be an additional function for the HDMI port and should not cause any problem when I use it as a normal HDMI port right? Thanks for aiding!

Collapse -
I have to write no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2013 4:58 AM PDT

I offered in my first reply that it's just a pair of pins that were introduced at a time and at no point did it make any difference to equipment.

If the maker screwed up and it sounds as if they did, you have a good reason to return it.

Collapse -
Agree. My answer as well (n/t)
by Pepe7 / April 23, 2013 6:15 AM PDT
In reply to: I have to write no.

Collapse -
by mjd420nova / April 23, 2013 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Link, comment.

ARC is an option on some units, TVs, A/V receivers, projectors and is related to audio only. It is also confined to a single input. The failure of the TV to accept HDMI inputs is a fault and not a cable problem. Start with everything disconnected and all power plugs pulled. Start with a known good HDMI cable and power up the game and plug in the cable to the TV. Now power up the TV. That should work, next try a different HDMI port on the TV. Once you've got things as the should be, the problem of using a monitor in place of a TV, is that most monitors don't have HDMI ports. However, there are converters available for just about every interface.

Collapse -
I've never seen any converter help with this issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 23, 2013 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: ARC

This issue is simpler than it seems. It could be the old PS3 issue again but no converter can help.

Again, ARC is just a few new connections and is not the issue. The choice of the maker to break that port is.

Collapse -
blame it on the TV
by HDMIARC / April 23, 2013 11:34 AM PDT

Alright after reading all your reply I got to think that it is the TV that got screwed up, probably shall get it fixed since its still under warranty.

I have tried using the PS3 and a Desktop PC as my equipment but both worked on HDMI port 1, not 2. Thus I wouldn't blame the PS3 for now. Thanks a lot, people.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.