Mac Desktops

General discussion

Using Mini DisplayPort to VGA with a Samsung Monitor

by Martonikaj / March 14, 2009 4:27 AM PDT

Hello;

I have the standard 13" aluminum macbook, and I was looking into getting the 'Mini DisplayPort to VGA' adapter to connect my 22" Samsung monitor. On the Apple website, I have seen nothing but horrible reviews about the connection cable, saying that it exclusively does not work with Samsung brand monitors and TV's. On the other hand I only see good things about it connecting to other devices and monitors.

Can anyone shed any light on this? It's already ridiculous that i have to pay the 30$ price for this cable just to use an external monitor, the least I can do is know that it will for sure work.

thanks in advance,

Andrew

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using Mini DisplayPort to VGA with a Samsung Monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using Mini DisplayPort to VGA with a Samsung Monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Samsung and that dongle
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 14, 2009 6:43 AM PDT

seems there may be an issue with Samsung TV's, and possibly more, judging by the comments at the Store.

Agreed, Mac cables are expensive but they are not alone in this regard.

I wonder what sort of answer you would get if you called the Store and asked questions about it.

Worth at try

P

Collapse -
thanks;
by Martonikaj / March 14, 2009 12:24 PM PDT

i'll try and call in, see what they say about it. i guess i could always buy it and return it if it still isn't working?

Collapse -
bought it
by Martonikaj / March 20, 2009 9:25 AM PDT

bought the last adapter at the Apple store in town, works perfectly with my Samsung monitor, not sure what everyone else was complaining about.

Collapse -
(NT) Good for you! Pleased it turned out OK
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 20, 2009 10:00 AM PDT
In reply to: bought it
Collapse -
Mini DisplayPort Port to VGA
by macxfactor / November 15, 2009 7:58 AM PST

Yes the mini display port to VGA works very well.
I connected my macbook pro to my 46" Samsung Led tv.
Both the mac & the Samsung automatically adjusted to 1080p. (you can change the setting on the mac)

The picture from my tv is fantastic 9Full hd at 1080p. Photos are great at 46", internet is great at that size.

Regards

Collapse -
What brand of VGA cable did you buy?
by jonnyliebs / January 19, 2010 11:27 AM PST

I have a current MacBook Pro and 40" 630 Series Samsung TV and I am not able to connect the two successfully. I am using the Mac Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter and a Dynex VGA Cable. Anyone out there who can help me?

Collapse -
Mini Display Port for Mac
by macxfactor / January 21, 2010 12:28 AM PST

Yes, my display from my macbook pro, to Samsung 46" Led tv works fine.

I bought the mini display adaptor to VGA from the apple store.

My wife has a macmini and uses a mini adaptor to DVI, connected to a Viewsonic 22" monitor, and it works well.

You can also use System Preferences, Display and click on Detect Displays.

Collapse -
Samsung Monitor
by seedcake / March 19, 2013 10:42 AM PDT

I bought a Samsung S27B550V,and all the cables came with it. I have just got a full refund from the faulty iMac Saga after 7 yrs. I am using the 27" Monitor now hooked up to a 2007 yr old Mac Mini,and it`s working great.
I am doing my homework first,because I heard there was a fault with the new Mac Mini HDMI port.
I would not touch an iMac with a barge pole.
The Mac Mini has a VGA port,and so has the Monitor,so it`s VGA to VGA.
I would check the cables that came with your Samsung Monitor. I have 3 types of cable that came with the monitor.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.