TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Using laptop as DVR?

by cgrazian / September 27, 2009 2:11 AM PDT

Hello. Is it possible to use a laptop as a DVR for over-the-air HD signals? I understand that a TV tuner card can capture an OTA signal onto the hard drive, but I can't find a card that has an HDMI output to send it back out to my LCD flatscreen. Is an HDMI out port even required for HD playback, or can I simply hook my TV to the external monitor port on the laptop? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using laptop as DVR?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using laptop as DVR?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So you want a hauppauge card(?)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2009 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Using laptop as DVR?

Google hauppauge

As to HDMI from the laptop, the answer has to be no. You either get a laptop with it or not. There are USB HDMI outputs but let's just ignore them.

Collapse -
I'm still waiting . . .
by Coryphaeus / September 27, 2009 11:35 AM PDT

for the HDMI input to the PC!

Yeah, I've seen them, five figures.

Collapse -
More specifically...
by cgrazian / September 28, 2009 5:41 AM PDT

Sorry, guess I should clarify a bit. First, this would be using a desktop, not a laptop. Second, I understand (basically) how a TV capture card, like Hauppauge sells, works. If I understand it correctly, with a TV card I can capture over-the-air HD broadcasts and record them to the hard drive. Right? What I don't understand is whether I can then port them out them from my desktop to my flatscreen TV at HD resolution. The only way to get them from my desktop to the TV is to use the TV as a monitor (the TV, a Samsung, has a computer connection -- RGB, I think -- for this). Will this be 1080/HD or something less?

Basically, I'm trying to use an old desktop as a DVR for OTA broadcasts (and preserving the HD quality in the process). Thanks.

Collapse -
From PC to HDTV.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2009 7:17 AM PDT
In reply to: More specifically...

You'll have to reveal EXACT DETAILS HERE. I can't guess.

But since many PC's run at HD resolutions on VGA outputs, I challenge someone to show me where a 1080p VGA output is inferior to 1080p HDMI.

I think this confused many a person.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.