Storage forum

General discussion

using ipod as hard drive

by SLeizman88 / June 11, 2005 11:06 AM PDT

ho exactly can I do this? I need to transfer a bunch of files from a Mac to a PC and using my iPod makes the most sense for me but ho exactly can i do this?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: using ipod as hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: using ipod as hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's one trick I've yet to see happen.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2005 11:17 AM PDT

When you setup the iPod to do that, it sets to for mac or PC and can't do both. Try a simpler ISO compatible CDR for this.

Bob

Collapse -
YOU CAN DO IT - Here's How!
by jbelkin / July 20, 2005 3:40 AM PDT

Hey - R. Proffitt, First, if you don't know the answer, do NOT answer that it cannot be done because you do NOT know how to do it.

As with EVERY Apple product, it is not limited in its functions like PC/Win products.

To use it on BOTH machines. All you need to do is format it FIRST on the PC as Fat32. Now you can use it both on your Mac & PC. Your only limitation is Fat32's 4 GB limitation on files.

The Apple page is here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61131

Good luck!

Collapse -
Err...
by dagger906 / June 11, 2005 2:09 PM PDT

Why would you use a $400 iPod to do something that can be done with a $40 USB flash drive?

Collapse -
Someone Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by meladouceur / June 28, 2005 2:02 PM PDT

My hard drive was reformatted before I had the chance to save itunes (long story). Need to save what's in the ipod to itunes. Loaded ipodagent and podutil and instructions are not helping (note - not a stupid cow who can't read directions. I'm a tax attorney who uses power tools and UNDERSTANDS the IRC, for crying out loud!). Any help appreciated! Thanks much!

Collapse -
A little more information
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 1, 2005 11:31 PM PDT

would probably help here.
What OS are you running on the machine that was formatted?
Was the iPod used with that particular machine?

P

Collapse -
A suggestion.,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / July 1, 2005 11:46 PM PDT

You could always use the backup of your critical data, which must include the iTunes music library, and restore the data back to your HD?
Is it the IRC (Internet Relay Chat) that you understand or the IRS (Internal Revenue Service)?
I use power tools too. I've got a great DeWalt Combination saw and a pretty good Black and Decker hammer drill. Of course, none of this is going to help you but, like I said earlier, I'll wait for more information before telling you how to proceed from here.

Happy Keep smiling, it's only music and it's all replaceable.

P

Collapse -
Think
by kgbuzzz / September 30, 2005 1:37 PM PDT

you are either
A - A troll
B - A dip ****
C - All of the above

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.