iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Question

using ipad3 with original ipad charger?

by mitchellfox / March 20, 2012 9:51 PM PDT

can the ipad3 (new ipad) use the original ipad charging adaptor. I accidentally plugged in my new ipad (3) to my old original ipad charger for a minute. It seemed to be okay. Then I unplugged it and used the charger that came with new ipad. Did I hurt the ipad at all?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: using ipad3 with original ipad charger?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: using ipad3 with original ipad charger?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
All the iPad/iPod/iPhone chargers are identical.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 20, 2012 10:02 PM PDT

Don't worry, you did no harm to your new iPad.

P

Collapse -
Correct.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / March 20, 2012 11:50 PM PDT

If Apple did not want you to use your old iPhone power cord w/ your new iPad they would have changed the charger connection. You should be fine.

Collapse -
Answer
It's the same Ipad charger
by blue5ft3 / March 21, 2012 6:01 AM PDT

The new Ipad is using the same Ipad charger which is 10w. The Iphone and Ipod chargers are only 5w so as long as you are using the Ipad charger you will be fine, and it will charge much more quickly than if you used the 5w charger.

Collapse -
Answer
Apple Charger
by pinkzroxor / March 21, 2012 11:12 AM PDT

All generations of iOS devices use the same charger.

This is one thing Apple hasn't changed since the beginning of iOS era

Collapse -
You are wrong
by urherenow / April 9, 2012 1:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Apple Charger

The iPad chargers are 10W verses the 5W iPhone charger. Most importantly, the NEW iPad charger puts out 2.1A. An iPhone charger WILL NOT CHARGE a new iPad with it's tiny 1A output. In fact, it actually warns you of that fact when you plug it in to an iPhone charger. It won't show signs of charging while plugged into a computer's USB port either.

But.. you can definitely use the new iPAD charger for any of your other devices. It will not burn them up.

Collapse -
Did I hurt my new ipad (3) ?
by mitchellfox / April 9, 2012 9:45 PM PDT
In reply to: You are wrong

Thanks. Did I hurt my new ipad (3) by using an original iPad with it for a minute or so?

Collapse -
No worries....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / April 9, 2012 9:47 PM PDT

You are fine.

Collapse -
Answer
Worked for me...
by Rider3 / April 9, 2012 9:53 PM PDT

My iPad 3 would charge with my iPhone 4S cord and charger while plugged into a wall socket. Not sure how fast it was charging, but it charged.

With the iPad 3 plugged into my MBP USB port, it charged fine. However, plugging it into Parallels Win 7 on the same MBP or my PC, the iPad 3 would not charge.
I resolved this problem by downloading ASUS Ai Charger (free) to the PC and Parallels Win 7 which bumps the power up on the USB ports. iPad 3 now charges on PC and Parallels.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.