TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Using HDMi and digital audio output

by javina33 / April 11, 2006 11:23 PM PDT

this may be a stupid question but here goes....

My current sony dvd is hooked up to my tv via monster component cables, the audio to my sony surround sound system via a digital audio output.

I just got the new sharp aquos LCD and I would like to upgrad to a dvd player with hdmi. If I do this, can I use the hdmi to connect to the tv and still use a digital output to my surround sound system? I wasnt sure if you can use both or if it was either or.

thanks in advance,
ntyler7

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using HDMi and digital audio output
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using HDMi and digital audio output
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HDMI. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 12, 2006 12:12 AM PDT

needs to run through a surround sound system then to the TV. The sound system will strip the sound and patch the video to the TV. Players usually have a choice of one or the other: HDMI sound or digital, not both.

Collapse -
HOW ABOUT D.V.I.
by stewart norrie / April 12, 2006 6:16 AM PDT

Your new d.v.d. player should also have a d.v.i. port so you can use a d.v.i. to h.d.m.i. cable, I personally found that I get a much better picture using the d.v.i. output vs componit vidio cables good luck stewart

Collapse -
Will this work?
by avalon2001 / April 12, 2006 11:53 PM PDT
In reply to: HOW ABOUT D.V.I.

Now you have me wondering if the HDMI cable I ordered will work. I have a High Def STB with HDMI out, a HDTV with HDMI in, and a receiver with no digital connection in or out that is presently receiving audio from the stb via component cables. The video uses component from the box to the tv. Everything as now connected works fine. But, I desire to run the HDMI from the box to the tv for video and leave the audio as is and just change the input setting on the tv to HDMI. I'm told I need to change the STB video setting to HDMI, but I'm unsure as to wether I leave the STB setting for audio on digital. Or, should I just leave well enough alone?

Collapse -
ntyler Yes you can
by gabereyes / April 13, 2006 3:53 PM PDT

you can run hdmi to the TV and then run Optical or Digital Coax to your receiver, but you might have to go to the DVD players setup menu and turn the audio format, you should get to choices PCM or Bitstream youll want to use Bitstream.

Good luke.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.