PC Applications forum

General discussion

Using Ghost 12 to copy hard drive on notebook

by mr.sodapop / January 15, 2008 3:02 AM PST

I am trying to upgrade my 100GB SATA notebook hard drive to a 200GB drive. I am trying to use Norton Ghost version 12.

First attempt details;

Did a full system back up to an external hard drive.
I replaced my internal hard drive with the new larger drive.
I booted with Norton disc.
I recovered my new drive from external.
This worked however the new larger drive showed up the same size as the previous smaller drive. I couldn't ever get the new drive to show as its true size. The drive did boot and all software was copied and functioned.

Second attempt details,

Using another new 200GB internal notebook drive, I placed the drive in a notebook hard drive enclosure with USB connection. I initialized the drive and installed primary partition. The drive showed as true size and healthy, on line.
I did a copy drive in Ghost this time.
Copy ran, my computer showed all files present and proper size.
I took out the smaller internal hard drive, put in the new larger one and the computer would not boot.
Further, after swapping drives again, I put the new 200GB drive back into the enclosure and plugged in the USB. The drive shows that it needs to be formatted, and size only shows as 91GB.

1. How can I get the new drive back to the actual size?
2. How can I use Ghost to perform what I am trying to do?

Thanks, Paul.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using Ghost 12 to copy hard drive on notebook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using Ghost 12 to copy hard drive on notebook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This sounds like the old 127GB limitations.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2008 5:46 AM PST

I read your post twice and couldn't find what ORIGINAL OS was used or the make and model of the laptop. When you get this issue sometimes you find that 91 + 127 is too close to the 200GB but I'm at a loss here since all the make and models are not in your post.

-> Call the laptop's maker and ask if the BIOS supports this drive.

Collapse -
Should work
by mr.sodapop / January 15, 2008 6:59 AM PST

According to Dell, any 2.5" SATA drive should work no problem.
As for the Original OS, I don't know what that means as I am not too computer literate. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron E1405, XP Professional.
Still lost though, maybe it is a Ghost problem or incompatibility problem with Ghost. I don't know.

Collapse -
XP Pro (you supplied this) does not support over 127GB drive
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2008 7:15 AM PST
In reply to: Should work
http://www.48bitlba.com has all the details why this is so.

You'll need a spiffy new XP SP2 CD to get this to work.

And again, I can't find the make and model numbers in your posts to see if it should work but at least we know this OS won't do.

Collapse -
Clarify please
by mr.sodapop / January 15, 2008 7:30 AM PST

Hello, thanks for everything.
What make and model numbers are you looking for ?

Collapse -
Anything that is "in play."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2008 8:32 AM PST
In reply to: Clarify please

If you can't supply such, that's fine. We've already found a good reason for this to fail.

Collapse -
Extending to full HDD size
by crase81 / January 20, 2008 12:03 PM PST

You may also find that your first attempt was almost successful.
It appears that you succeeded in ghosting to the new drive but despite the physical size of the new drive its formatted size was the same as the old one.
This would have been corrected if you selected the option in the copy software that allows Ghost to 'fill out' the capacity of the new drive.

Collapse -
by mr.sodapop / January 21, 2008 10:13 AM PST

For some reason that checkbox is greyed out and I cannot select it. I will call Norton again, thanks. Maybe there is a bug in my Ghost.

Collapse -
Delete the Partition
by P.Bishop / January 25, 2008 6:16 AM PST
In reply to: Grey

I have run into the same problem with the same issue, trying to upgrade my notebook hard drive with the same software. I have tried countless times within the last week. However, in my persistent search I ran across a post which which provided me the solution and solved the greyed out options:

The solution pointed toward deleting the partition on the larger 250GB external hard drive that I was replacing with my smaller 80GB hard drive.

1. I ensured the BIOS and Windows XP Pro had the most recent updates.

2. The post recommended turning off autoplay on the external drive. So before I deleted the drive partition I set the autoplay to "Take no Action".

3. I then went to Disk Management I deleted the external drive's partition. (Note: At this point I was not able to see the drive in Windows)

4. I then went to Norton Ghost 12 and went thorough the process of copying my hard drive. To my surprise the options which were once greyed out where now able to be selected and changed. I used the following settings:

Check Destination drive for file system errors
Resize drive to fill unallocated
Set drive to Active
Drive Letter "None Selected" (I believe it is key to leave this Blank)
Copy MBR

5. Once complete, I swapped the hard drives and booted the notebook.

6. The notebook booted slower than usual but once Windows sorted out the drivers for the hard drive the result has resulted in a SUCCESSFUL upgrade.

I appreciate the many posts that let me to this solution.

Collapse -
by mr.sodapop / January 27, 2008 12:43 AM PST
In reply to: Delete the Partition

Thank-you. I will try this once I figure out how to make this new drive show its true size. Since the Norton Ghost attempts, the drive only shows that it is 93GB. I don't know how this happened but even after a format and deleting partition, it still shows smaller.
Thanks, Paul.

Collapse -
Do you know how?
by mr.sodapop / January 27, 2008 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: Delete the Partition

Do you know how to rewrite the header (that probably isn't the correct terminology) of my new 200GB drive so it will once again be its true size? After the copy, the drive only shows as 93GB, even in disc management. Did you have this problem and if so, do you know the magic remedy????

Thanks, Paul.

Collapse -
I had a very similar experiance. I upgraded an 80GB to 500GB
by diddy441 / August 22, 2012 12:02 PM PDT

I had a free copy of Partition Magic and was able to easily expand the new drive to use all available space, even the unused area, all into one C: drive partition.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.