PC Applications forum

General discussion

Using File recovery software

by drewtheman84 / October 27, 2009 5:41 AM PDT

I deleted a few .mpg video files from my computer and have used a few different file recovery programs (File restore profession, recuva, Undelete). However, on most of them, these files do not show up on the list of files I can recover (although may of the other .mpg files I've deleted in the past do show, some of which are unrecoverable). Why is it that I can't get see these large 1gb files to show up? Are there any better alternatives to recovering the files?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using File recovery software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using File recovery software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tricky.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 27, 2009 6:05 AM PDT

The general advice when you delete something then find you need to recover it is, "STOP using that hard disk", immediately.

Take the disk out, and either take it to a professional data recovery engineer, or if you are going to attempt a recovery yourself, install it into another system or some USB enclosure, and then try to recover the files.

Why? The more you use that disk, the more likely you will overwrite important information on the disk. Data recovery is always going to be hit or miss. Sometimes you fall lucky, but sometimes not.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: using file recovery software
by futurelao / January 5, 2010 9:39 PM PST

I suffered the similar strange problem. In the beginning I try to find out the reason, but in the end I found that it's time- wasting to search the unknown reason. because the urgent thing for me is to recover my precious video as soon as possible.
I found out a professional and suitable one - Wondershare Photo Recovery from http://www.data-recovery-utilities.com/photo-recovery/
Notice: you can preview all the recoverable photos according to the automatical photo formats classification through Preview window to see if the photos you need are recovered.
you can adjust the photo sizes if the photos you want to see is too large or you can see only part of photos.
know the detailed steps to restore lost photos from http://www.data-recovery-utilities.com/articles/how-to-restore-lost-photos.html

Good luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.