Phones forum

General discussion

using cellphones in japan...

by gshock99 / January 10, 2007 6:35 PM PST

so i know that japan uses a different type of network of frequency(I know they have 3g technology as well which we are seeing now in the US)... whatever it might be called and you can't use the phones available in the US in japan(even if they are quadband/triband phones). in the past i've had to rent phones in japan through cingular and ntt docomo.

i have two questions.

1. since helio is/was originally a south korean product, would it possibly work in japan?(south korea and japan when i last checked run on the same kind of network...)

2. are there any phones coming up in the future that might be able to work in japan?

my contract is running out soon so i can change phones. right now i have a razr. i wouldn't mind keeping the razr for a while if there will be a phone in the future that might possibly work in japan. i'm going back sometime in the summer/fall of this year and i'll be there for a while. i might just end up renting a phone in japan opposed to going through cingular(roaming charges are horrendous in japan) which might end up being the cheaper option.

thanks in advance for any help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: using cellphones in japan...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: using cellphones in japan...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 10, 2007 10:24 PM PST

I was on a design team with some 2 way paging and Japan did such changes on purpose to stop (cheap?) imports from interaction on their networks. There is no reason to expect they will allow a foriegn device to make a call. Be ready to rent a phone there.

Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by gshock99 / January 11, 2007 4:26 AM PST
In reply to: Just sharing.

meh >< thank you for your help

Collapse -
Motorola razr in Japan
by DWestervelt / April 13, 2007 6:10 PM PDT

I just bought two razr's and we live in Okinawa Japan. I ordered the Motorola razr V3x for my daughter and I ordered at Motorola razr V maxx for myself. They are both WCDMA and UMTS 2100. I am using them with Softbank and they are working great.

Collapse -
Slightly off center of topic
by Nullis_sum / July 9, 2007 5:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Motorola razr in Japan

I am in Okinawa, and brought a Razr V3X with me specifically for use here and in the States and Europe. Can you please tell me where the softbank dealer is that you obtained your USIM through? I cannot locate a vendor on the net, and softbanks website only shows locations on mainland Japan. Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

Collapse -
I lived in Okinawa for 2 years
by DocGSXR / April 14, 2007 12:50 AM PDT

As long as you are using an unlocked quadband gsm/umts phone you shouldnt have a problem. I just recently moved back to the US and didnt like the phones here so I bought an unlocked softbank x01ht and am running it on the cingular network out here. I just flashed an english ROM from the HTC Tytn and remapped the keyboard for english and it works great. You just have to remember to have the phone unlocked, otherwise they wont work on anything other than the network that you bought it from. Also of course you need to make sure that it is gsm or umts so that you can swap sim cards. I travel alot since my wife is Australian and likes to travel the world, so having an unlocked gsm/umts phone helps. I can go in to a store and buy a prepaid sim for a local network and voila a phone that works in whatever place im in.

Collapse -
Moving to Okinawa
by eunhae3 / January 26, 2008 7:37 AM PST

Hi,

I am moving to Okinawa this summer for three years with my husband. My Razr is on it's last legs but I don't want to get a new phone now and deal with contracts, etc. Does anyone suggest waiting until I get to Okinawa to get a new 3G phone? Or buying one here that I can use over there? IF I go with plan B is it as simple as just switching out a Sim card and using a different company? Or will I have to pay roaming fees?

Thanks,

C

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.