Phones forum

General discussion

Using an unlocked 3G phone in Korea and Japan

by Sunsetlover / November 6, 2007 1:09 AM PST

I'm considering buying an unlocked GSM phone here in NY, because I travel overseas a lot. Therefore I need a quad-band GSM phone (probably sign up with AT&T for my US usage), but because I will travel to Korea and Japan also, I need a 3G or 3.5G phone that I can just use a local SIM card with. Is it safe to assume that any GSM phone with UMTS or HSDPA will work in Korea and Japan?

My interest in 3G is not because of the data speeds, it's only because I need to use a darn phone in Korea/Japan.

I am currently looking at the LG CU515, Samsung A707/Sync, and Nokia N75. Anyone had any experience with these in Korea or Japan?

Also, related to these questions, what happens when someone calls your US number when you are overseas with a local SIM card?

Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using an unlocked 3G phone in Korea and Japan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using an unlocked 3G phone in Korea and Japan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
roaming in korea and japan
by jonwold / November 7, 2007 8:44 PM PST

I've been to korea and japan using a nokia e61. Used my att sim card and had no problem making or receiving calls or using data..of course when I got the $2500 phone bill the next month I almost had a heart attach, thankfully it was work realated and my employer paid the bill., I think the biggest part of that bill was data..verrrry expensive..If you are using a local SIM, if someone calls your US number you won't get the call as the local sim has it's own number. In any case, any phone with wcdma 2100 will work in both places...have a ball

Collapse -
by birdmantd Forum moderator / November 7, 2007 8:52 PM PST

Consider the HTC Tytn (aka At&t 8525) or Tytn II (aka At&t Tilt/8925), both phones have the 2100 mhz frequecy.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.