Computer Help

Question

using a windows oem for a brand name computer?

by mko / October 23, 2013 8:38 AM PDT

if i get a brand name computer (it's a lenovo or hp) and it doesn't come with a recovery disk, can i use a windows oem disk if need be in the future. or do the lenovos and hp's have a recovery wizard to create a disk kit.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: using a windows oem for a brand name computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: using a windows oem for a brand name computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Most computers...
by Dafydd Forum moderator / October 23, 2013 8:43 AM PDT

...come with a recovery disc wizard these day. Make one and then make a copy of that.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Answer
Same issues as before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2013 8:44 AM PDT

I'm going to shortchange you here but the OEM licenses are pretty finicky. That is, while it is possible to use an OEM license that has not been tied to some machine you also run the risk of learning how hard it is to get Windows all setup as good as the stock supplied version.

Very few come with recovery disks but supply a means to make a set then you are free to duplicate those for safety.

Is there a reason you want to test your patience?
bob

Collapse -
Answer
You usually have that option a time of purchase and I
by VAPCMD / October 23, 2013 9:39 AM PDT

recommend you take advantage of it. You can do it later but it's more hassle then.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Answer
You really don't want to do that.
by wpgwpg / October 23, 2013 9:44 AM PDT

Brand name computers have a procedure for creating your recovery discs for FREE. That will save you $100 for an OEM disc. Secondly, if you were to install from an OEM disc, you'd need to get all the device drivers and helper apps you need; and that is a perilous pursuit. What you REALLY need to do is to invest $70 or so on an external hard drive, and get a good 3rd party backup/restore program like the FREE Easeus Todo Backup Free which you can download from
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
You can use the OEM or full retail for limited purposes
by Steven Haninger / October 23, 2013 6:43 PM PDT

I have used such to access console for repair purposes but not for complete installations. FWIW, the factory images on Windows PCs will have a product ID code and it's not a bad idea to have that code printed out. Some PCs (laptops mainly) are no longer coming with the code clearly visible. I use a small utility (google "magic jellybean keyfinder") to search for and print the MS product ID codes for the OS, Office, etc. Keep those aside if you have a sticker and it becomes unreadable or damaged.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Magazine

The summer issue is here!

In the latest edition of our quarterly magazine, we look at how you can spend your summer getting fit and having fun. Pick up a copy on newsstands today or order it now.