Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Computer Help

General discussion

Using a recovery CD

by Stephanie1957 / July 9, 2007 8:32 AM PDT

I have a Toshiba Laptop, it came with a recovery CD. By using a recovery CD does it remove all and restore to the day it was bought? Is there anyway traces could be left behind? I am selling my laptop and want to be sure nothing could be recovered.

Thank you in advance.
Stephanie

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using a recovery CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using a recovery CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well....
by jackson dougless / July 9, 2007 8:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Using a recovery CD

The only 100% sure way to keep unwanted files out of the hands of others, is to not sell the unit with the HDD.

Short of that, a simple format before running the recovery CD should stop probably 95% of people from accessing anything on there. The remaining 5% could probably get it no matter what you did if they cared enough.

Just look for some kind of boot disk or CD that has a zero filling format program in it, and run that. It's not 100%, but it's going to be pretty damn good. There should be a few free ones out there if you look.

Collapse -
Kill Disk
by Stephanie1957 / July 9, 2007 8:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Well....

Thank you,

If I used a program like Kill Disk, would I still be able to use my recovery CD? I figured if I used a program like this the recovery CD would no longer work, but I truly do not know.

Thank you very much for helping,
Stephanie

Collapse -
The recovery CD..
by jackintucson / July 9, 2007 9:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Kill Disk

is self-booting and should would just fine.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
(NT) would = work... sorry
by jackintucson / July 9, 2007 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: The recovery CD..
Collapse -
Thank you Jack
by Stephanie1957 / July 9, 2007 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: would = work... sorry

I appreciate your help.

Stephanie

Collapse -
(NT) You're quite welcome..
by jackintucson / July 9, 2007 9:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you Jack
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.