Phones forum

General discussion

Using a cell phone to connect to Internet via dial-up ISP

by jerhot / October 23, 2004 12:42 PM PDT

I am seriously considering canceling my home phone service and just going to cell phones. I am very cheap though, and do not want to pay for (in my opinion) expensive Internet service through cable or satellite providers. I am happy with my $10/month dial-up connection. I have read about using software and a cable that allows you to connect a cell phone to the computer, then dial up any ISP. I currently get about 45 Kbps with my dial-up, and I have read that anywhere from 50 Kbps to 100 Kbps should be available with a GSM phone. Has anyone out there tried this? Am I crazy? Does it work? What should I know? Where do I get the software and the cable to connect my cell phone to my computer?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Using a cell phone to connect to Internet via dial-up ISP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Using a cell phone to connect to Internet via dial-up ISP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Using a cell phone to connect to Internet via dial-up IS
by strykernyc / October 26, 2004 7:24 PM PDT

futuredial has the cables or u can find them on ebay. ur cell phone provide has the software also futuredial might have it, i currently have sprintcs i have umlimited mbs/internet access so i got the cable off ebay and download the software the sprintpcs offer for any phone and i can connect with either desktop or laptop using the usb cable and be online 24/7 i get speed from 56k to 200kbs depends on the signal, i live first floor so i get 1 or 2 bar the most and i am the only person of every single person that comes to my house with cell phone signal heh. try futuredial and ebay remember ur service provider might charge u by kbs/mbs i only do it cause is free and unlmited for me. some cell phone comp use ur mins also so do a little search before u forget ur yahoo messenger sign on lol or pc online .

Collapse -
Re: Using a cell phone to connect to Internet via dial-up IS
by robertdmedina / October 30, 2004 11:26 AM PDT

Hello check out This product can be used with most cell phn carriers. My opinion for provider is Verizon no cost for slow 14.4 spd and optional pay per use fast speed(about 56k). I can give you a 25% discount off datapilot product. Also same product can be used for picture transf to and from pc and ringers, phn book, calander. etc

Collapse -
Does this software work for a treo 300?
by jack52 / December 15, 2004 2:17 PM PST

Does this software work for a treo 300?
If not what software out there will let me use my treo 300 to connect my notebook to the internet?

Thanks in advance.

Collapse -
Data Pilot
by Doyle54 / June 11, 2008 6:13 AM PDT

What is the cost? Can you work with me to make sure it works with an older Sanyo 4900? I thought I tried this software before and finally got my money back because their tech support never responded to questions I had to get it to work!!!!!

Collapse -
Cell Phone Dail Up
by sking / December 20, 2004 8:58 AM PST

I have not used it but have read a few thing in the CNET "Ask the Cell Phone Diva". Be careful, you are using cell phone air time each time you do this. The connection is somewhat slower (14400) unless you subscribe to the cell phone carrier high data transfer feature.

You can typically find the software and data cable on the manufacturer's web site. I was looking at the Kyocera Slider SE44 accessories this weekend. They have the cable and software for about $44.00.

Collapse -
internet connection using phone as a modem
by jeepster40 / December 26, 2004 1:24 PM PST

OK. Here is your best answer depending on where you live. I live in Florida, where Sprint works well. Because sprint uses CDMA the transfer rate is between 115kps and 200kps. Listen, NO NO NO GSM phone can do that. the only other phone that can or come close is verizon because it is also CDMA but uses 800 mhz instead of 1900 like sprint. So in summary you can get a much faster connection wih a sprint phone using Data Pilot software than you can with your dial up so cancel it. You need the Vison service on your sprint phone to do this but it doesn't use your minutes either. most service charge a lot for data connections but not sprint because the dont even want you to know you can do this. oh yeah the access number for sprint is #777. your welcome! Happy

Collapse -
software and cable for sprint phones
by ddjkg / April 14, 2009 4:24 AM PDT

I am new to this so bear with me. So, we have sprint cell phone service. We just need to add the unlimited internet package to our phone? I have the samsung rant. What kind of cable do you need to get off ebay? and where do you get the software the I am reading that you need? I saw the sprint code, where do you use that? If you could fill in the blanks for me I would appreciate it! Thank you!

Collapse -
using cell phone as modem
by Vicks / January 27, 2005 5:07 PM PST

We have a Nokia 3585i phone that we use as a modem with our computer via a usb cable. We travel a lot and it works great. Our phone server is Alltel (they interline with Verizon). We use it at nite and on weekends when we have the free minutes. Also since there is no longdistance we are able to use our local $9.95 ISP provider. You also can get inexpensive ISP with INTERGATE.
It took some time and effort and talking with alltel/nokia/hp before it worked but it is great since we can use it in our rv and don't have to go to a lodge or library.
Good luck

Collapse -
cell phone as modem
by bob44 / March 15, 2005 7:21 AM PST

I am trying to use my nokia 6015 phone as a modem through cell one. I want to try and set this up so i don't have to sign up for the extra data plan. I don't mind the slow connection just to get our bank statement and a few emails when we travel. Is there anyone that has done this?
Thanks Bob

Collapse -
Do you need special software?
by Rokfather / March 24, 2005 1:32 PM PST

I've found that I can get a cable for my Nokia 3589i(Verizon) on eBay that includes Windows drivers, and I already have a free dial-up account through my school. I just want to know if I need additional software to make the connection or can I set it up manually.

Also, what role did Alltel play in this arrangement? As far as I can tell, I have a phone that has the ability to dialup a connection just as it dials any other call. What would I need from the service provider if it shows up as just another call?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Collapse -
What devices and softwares do you need for connecting to ISP
by alun88 / March 29, 2005 8:48 AM PST

What devices and softwares do you need for connecting your laptop to your local ISP wirelessly? I checked Futuredial's snapdial, but they can't use your local ISP for it, you must have their GPRS.

Collapse -
384 kilobits per second
by tommo / January 28, 2005 9:15 PM PST
Collapse -
Using cell to connect to internet
by ladyofspain / January 29, 2005 3:29 PM PST

Never cancel landline phones. Cells are not 100% effectvie and in case of an emergency with someone who needs to get in touch with you via cell phone, sometimes connections don't go thru. I know this cause my sister has only a cell and I never get thru to her cause no reception in her room. It makes me very uncomfortable. In case of emerygency how do I get in touch with her. Landline phones can be cheap, just get the lowest plan possible just enough to make local calls is plenty. Use cell for other calls. Connecting cell to PC is quite common. You can use a standard USB cable and connect using your PC as your modem for the cell. High speed connection is too much if money is what your're trying to save. I have dial up and if someone needs me they just call my cell. I pay $18 monthly for dial up and am happy with this cause I am on a very tight budget

Collapse -
by bob44 / March 15, 2005 7:33 AM PST

I am trying to use my nokia 6015 phone as a modem through cell one. I want to try and set this up so i don't have to sign up for the extra data plan. I don't mind the slow connection just to get our bank statement and a few emails when we travel. Is there anyone that has done this?
Thanks Bob

Collapse -
form australia
by qldayr / March 15, 2005 9:15 AM PST

I used this system for about 5 years with a erricson boster box thats mounted in my car the computer can be conected by a Lam line giveing you about 60kbs on ground base,or 28 kbs on the satalite but at $6 a minite land base was better if in range at 33 cents so the satalite was only used for work mostly just black and white text.
But with no wired phone system in 200 miles you used what you could.
Iam now Retired & live in town and no longer use the sat conection or the internet on my cell, have a adsl on my land line $50 a mounth for a much as I like to use.Ie 11.4 gig in Dec and 450 hours fast cheap and mostly good.Not cheap on the cell.
Ps that box in the car was $1750 in 1986 and still gives a long range on the cell with its 4ft antaner

Collapse -
by clanders / March 26, 2005 8:15 PM PST

I've read all the responses to your original question, but have not been able to find where anyone answered your specific question? I too am trying to connect my laptop to my dial-up ISP using my LG C1300 phone. I have my cell service with cingular and I have already purchased a USB cable which came with a disk containing Windows drivers. I purchased this at my local Radio Shack store.

I've tried and tried but cannot make the connection from my cell phone to my computer. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can make this work? Thanks!

Collapse -
Internet hookup
by birdmantd Forum moderator / March 27, 2005 12:34 AM PST

Best suggestion is to call customer service and request to s/w the Data Support group for help. Make sure you call from a landline phone and have the cell phone with the computer nearby. There may need to be some settings that might have to be updated manually.

Collapse -
Re: seeking most economical internet service price.
by makahausa / December 7, 2007 2:30 AM PST

I live in SF California and paid 14.95 for a competitive internet service. Accidentally I ran across an article about ATT SBC merger stating that the company will have to agree to a discounted 10.00 permonth flat charge plus if needed a rebatable DSL modem (pay 49.95) rebate check sent if you need one and not a required item.

The customer service will state they are not aware of this but do your determination and ask for the manager and tell them you are aware of this merger settlement and the agreed $10.00 DSL service.

My speed is 768 and using ATT's speed test it averages closer to 680-700 speed. This is amazing compared to my 56 K which is actually 45 K in reality because of network traffic.

I strongly urge you to register and also pass the great word to others. I am so shocked at the speed and now able to use live web cams and see videos at regular speeds and not the usual jittery dial up.

I wish you the best and if any more question or just let me know that your registration went smoothly. I am so pleased of this new speed. I usually went to my public library when downloading programs etc.

Best holiday wishes!

Collapse -
Traveling by RV
by dgkrivoski / March 2, 2008 11:02 AM PST

We travel in an RV and would like to use cell phone for internet access. We have ATT on home phone now. Do you know if we can use it outside of our home area??

Thanks for the update on the $10 plan. Is there a timetable by which the $10 would expire or is it indefinite?

Collapse -
I use my cellphone and connect using
by oblivionjunglist / February 22, 2008 1:09 AM PST

Hey just FYI guys I am able to connect using my cellphone over 1x connecting to they even gave me instructions on how to set it up on the site. Hope this helps! Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.