Windows 7 forum

User Profile won't load

by JessGless / September 10, 2013 4:31 AM PDT

HELLO: Hopefully someone has had prior experience with this problem and may be able to answer questions.

I have an HP6540f PC with Win 7, 32 bit, and 8 GB Ram. I originally downloaded the OS from what is now DreamSpark and when it went its limit I bought a proper license from Microsoft about 3 years ago(just in case this info has something to do with the problem).

I received the following error message when trying to log in on a standard account this morning. "The User Profile Service service failed the login. User profile cannot be loaded."

I've had no problems with this until today. And, dumb me generated a NEW account and deleted the old one, losing much info in the process.

I've tried various things to log in - the new account, shutting down and restarting, etc. Nothing worked. Can anyone explain what I can do to get a standard account set up and usable?

I did find an article that says to copy info out of one account, minus 3 files, and paste into the folder for the new account. I didn't want to do that as my one good account is the administrator account.

I appreciate any and all replies!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: User Profile won't load
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: User Profile won't load
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Well discussed area.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2013 4:36 AM PDT

Microsoft's has answers for this one and here's the bottom line. You'll need a spare admin account to move that user's files to the new account. I see you read MSFT's answer on this but let's be CRYSTAL CLEAR about this.

It's been an issue since 1995 and no one at MSFT or anywhere has come up with any other fix other than to move to the new account.

I'd love to be proven wrong but it looks like you know the answer (same as the last 18 years?)

Collapse -
The User Profile Service failed the logon
by livepcexpert7 / September 13, 2013 3:07 AM PDT

To resolve the issue you can follow the instructions from the article - (You receive a "The User Profile Service failed the logon" error message)

For your information, of you create a new Administrator Account then it will not have any differences from the previous Administrator Account.

Moreover there is no solution to make your previous user account working.

Collapse -
Why is there is no solution to make your previous account?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 13, 2013 3:09 AM PDT

Why is there is no solution to make your previous user account work?

It's been over a decade with this issue and it seems strange there is no known fix.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.