Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

User profile corrupt

by netsiu / March 2, 2013 1:11 PM PST

Windows 7 Pro. 32bit with all current updates including IE9.

My profile is also Administrator.
Problem: Firefox (19.0) has c+++ flag, Internet Explorer does not know Flash player is installed.
Other profiles work without problems so OS is not the problem just my profile.

How can I straighten this out?
Is it possible to replace my ini and dll files with those of other profile?

Malwarebytes and Norton both scan malware and virus free.

netsiu has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: User profile corrupt
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: User profile corrupt
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by netsiu

Collapse -
Not funny.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2013 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: User profile corrupt

It is not funny to read Microsoft's repair articles on this one. The title writes repair but what they do is to create a new user account and move the user's files/profile over.

Given MSFT has had over a decade you would have thought they would have had a fix for this.

So again, same answer today. Well discussed.

Collapse -
Thanks for the sympathy
by netsiu / March 3, 2013 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: Not funny.

Internet search came back the same way.

The final move in the new user was transfering the dll and ini files. So I'm wondering if I can just copy and replace my dll and ini with the good user ones but as administrator might they be different?
Not going to do until someone who does know says ya do it.

Collapse -
Your research project.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2013 6:12 AM PST

Think of how folk try this out. The folk in my office would do this without question. That is, we could create a test account to copy such into and see how it works out. Since we are not blowing away the dead account we have a backup copy of the files to try it again.

Collapse -
Problem solved...Sort of
by netsiu / March 5, 2013 2:37 PM PST
In reply to: Not funny.

Created anew user account and copied over all files and folders that would and test drove. Worked perfect for most programs.
Created anouther new user account (Administrator all) Cut the app folder of the bad user account at pasted into a folder on anouther partition, then cut / pasted the app folder from the newest user and pasted into bad one.
Terrible mess!
Deleted that app folder and cut / pasted the saved one. Still a mess.
Copied over the rest needed to make all programs right on first new user acc. and now everything there works beautifully.

The only problem now is the Outlook 2007 Contacts (Address book).
I know it's there cause I can see it in old account but can't copy it and everywhere I can find on internet as to where kept it is not there.

Thanks for the help Bob and any further you can do here.

Collapse -
Contacts should be in the Outlook data files.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 5, 2013 11:19 PM PST
Collapse -
YES! Right on.
by netsiu / March 7, 2013 11:40 AM PST

I all ready had it. just took me awhile to believe it.
When I copied pasted from the old it created a duplicate .pst file and placed a 1 so that I had a Outlook.pst and a Outlook1.pst. I put the Outlook.pst in a folder and droped the 1 and walla! I had address book and doubled mail saves.
I now have 7years of favorite mail saves to go back and eliminate their twins.LOL. AWWW! To reminiese! It will probably take all day. Not because there are that many but I will have to reread them.

Thank You again Bob!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.