Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Used game restriction--would you still buy new consoles?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / April 2, 2012 9:52 AM PDT

To give you some context to this poll, read this blog here:
Friday Poll: Used games a no-go on PlayStation 4?

If Sony or Microsoft goes through with used game restrictions, will you still buy their new consoles?

-- Yes. I don't mind paying for new games.
-- No way. I can't (or don't want to) pay for all new games.
-- Maybe, but only if a must-have game comes out for the consoles.
-- Eventually. I'll wait to see if a workaround is developed.
-- Other. (What is it?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Used game restriction--would you still buy new consoles?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Used game restriction--would you still buy new consoles?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by ESUNintel / April 3, 2012 2:50 AM PDT

I don't buy used games, but than again I hardly play video games on my PS3 anymore and when I do it's usually a hot new game that just came out. I would be ok if they went with a Steam like approach, digital downloads, but Steam does offer competitive pricing and even frequent promotions.

I do play video games, but on my iPad, so I'm really fine with buying from an App Store environment, and really prefer that over having discs.

Collapse -
I will not buy. Boycot microsoft and sony if they do this.
by hardtime19 / April 3, 2012 3:02 AM PDT

If Sony and the xbox does this they will pay the price. People will boycot there systems and they will end up dead in the water.I own both systems and dont play them i would rather play on my game pc system.

Collapse -
by fweed / April 3, 2012 4:52 AM PDT

i agree totally with a boycott of these systems if they move forward this way. corporate greed has to be curtailed. they will have no choice but to listen ifv enough people speak out

Collapse -
Software update!
by cgspoon / April 3, 2012 10:55 AM PDT

I can see an update in the future to block used games even if you don't buy PS4 or new Xbox. I have a Back compatible 60 gb PS3, I have not touched PS2 game in ages. I do buy new games.COD,Battlefield, Uncharted. XBOX live blows, I will probably not re-new my live acct since it is getting expensive and I am on Playstation Network most of the time anyway. Although Kinect totally puts PS Move to shame!

Collapse -
Used game restrictions... What Next??
by Chuck_Lund / April 3, 2012 3:10 AM PDT

No way will I buy a new console that will not let Me play all our older games. It's kind of like the Movie producers. They release a Great movie, We go to the theaters and pay to watch it, then they put it on the market for sale, and you pay for it if You want a copy, and that way You can't copy it off of TV until it is released to the TV stations after they make their millions again on the same Movie We paid to see in the first place. Of course after they make a huge profit on the local sales, then they let the TV stations rent it to air with several commercials to make even more money on the rental. Imagine the Money made on just one 2nd rated Movie?? How about built-in Self-Destruction after You have had the Game over a year or 2. Makes one wonder about all this New Technology. Everyone wants the ability to make us keep paying for the products We already own. I Don't Rent anything anymore. Not worth it.

Collapse -
A game had to be purchased NEW to become used.
by danno355 / April 3, 2012 3:11 AM PDT

Well Sony just lost my business.
I don't buy many used games, but sometimes you find one thats a good deal.
The game had to have been purchased new at some point to become used.
Meaning the game company already got their money for the title.
If the game was really good, or had a high replay value then odds are the bulk of the owners wouldn't sell it.
If its a game you might never play again, then why not let someone else enjoy it.
What happens if my console dies and I have to get a new one, do i suddenly have to pay for my games again?
Will the game developer pay me back if the game doesn't live up to my expectations?
We the consumer have the power, not the game companies. If they pull this B$ then just stop purchasing the hardware and software. Let them eat a couple quarters of loss to understand that greed kills.
Do folks have to pay the banana growers a fee if the banana eater uses the peels in mulch pile? (Sounds pretty stupid doesn't it Sony?)

Collapse -
Rethinking My Purchase
by suedihfed / April 3, 2012 3:18 AM PDT

My husband and I were going to purchase a game console but now that Sony has done this, we will wait to see what happens. We'll play PC games and use the Wii, but I don't think we'll be buying a console any time soon.

Collapse -
Who Cares??
by john3347 / April 3, 2012 3:19 AM PDT

I don't play childish games so I don't care whether the players play new ones or used ones. I don't have any of either.

Collapse -
by mdaneker / April 3, 2012 3:23 AM PDT

Absolutely, no way in hell. It already frustrates me to no end they took the PS and PS2 playback from PS3 (I have on older model that plays them, clutching on for dear life) and that 1/2 the xbox games don't work on the 360. At least Nintendo is fully compatible with all disk and the next-gen Wii should be as well.

I won't buy either sony or microsoft systems if I can't play old games on them, and killing the used game market? It's a huge part of what keeps retailers alive, effectively only Amazon and Wal-Mart will really be able to sell games. EB, Gamestop and independent stores will shutter after a year.

They're all money crazy, greedy mad. We aren't allowed to own anything, we just have licenses now.

Collapse -
PS3 backward compatibility
by Chad_H_ / April 13, 2012 12:05 PM PDT
In reply to: N.O.

Sony may have removed PS2 backward compatibility, but you are wrong in assuming that PS1 backward compatibility was removed. Go ahead and try playing a PS1 game in your PS3, it does work.

Collapse -
Used game restriction - would you still buy new consoles?
by Computer-Gary / April 3, 2012 3:34 AM PDT

I generally prefer to buy new games. But that's my choice. I feel customers should have the right to buy used, or second-hand games, no two ways about it.

Collapse -
Post deleted.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 3, 2012 3:51 AM PDT

To Colorburn.

Sorry but even though the forum filtered out many of your words, you should know that Forum Policy still applies against offensive language.

That's why I deleted your post.

Collapse -
Like Aesop's tale - Dog seeing a Dog with a bone in the pond
by ErikHockman / April 3, 2012 4:01 AM PDT

Trying to strive for greater profits through stinginess rather than innovation, Sony can fornicate itself. Idiots.

This reminds me of when the geniuses at Sony put malware on their disks that screwed up people's computer systems. Sounds like Sony is in need of a boycott.

Collapse -
I chose "Other"...
by the_rajah / April 3, 2012 4:12 AM PDT

I don't own a game console and have no plans to buy one. They just don't interest me and never have. I'm not a gamer.. All that said, I'm not at all surprised at this turn of events. I stopped buying Sony when they had the rootkit debacle. Any company that would stoop that low is not getting any of my hard earned cash. Of course, I'm not much of a Microsoft fan either.

Yes, I'm old... Over 65. What did you expect? Balanced against the "old" thing, I wrote my first computer program in 1964 and had my first computer at home in 1976.. Yes, that long ago. It had an eye-watering 1K of memory and used a teletype machine for I/O.

Collapse -
Me too!
by marikavs / April 3, 2012 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: I chose "Other"...

All of the above, including choosing "Other." And yes, I used to TTY in to work in the 70's. The modem I had was so cool (the size of a work-desk)--it used 300 baud!

Collapse -
Sony's Greed Will Be Their Undoing
by ErikHockman / April 3, 2012 4:16 AM PDT

I remember when Sony stuck trojan horses in their disks.

Lawsuits and boycotts might teach their management something about customer relations.

Collapse -
A History lesson
by texmex116 / April 5, 2012 2:49 AM PDT

Sony needs to look at Game console history again. Commodore was big back in the 70's. They decided that every new model console would use a new proceeeor and DOS. Result; people switched to Atari who had been bought out. Games were cheap and all console models played the same games and used the same DOS.
In PCs and Mainframes; IBM pulled the same trick, selling each new model and upgrade requiring customers buy all new programing. Commodore never recovered, IBM went into computer support and eventually recovered.
FYI: the founder of IBM refused to consider computers. He felt Business Machines (adding machines, typewriters) were the future, not gadgets. Luckily for IBM, he died and his son saw the future more clearly.

Collapse -
Used Games
by Genesis60 / April 3, 2012 4:28 AM PDT

Everyone needs to make a living including the developers. I've been a gamer for 12 years now and numerous players I've met have tried every method under the sun to crack locked games to avoid the cost of new games.
If you want to play then expect to pay.
Having said that, I play all games on PC so a console is not an issue for me. As the games become more involved and detailed I have had to continue to upgrade my computer and have no issue with that.
If this change upsets Sony's customer base then stick with the older games. No doubt as time passes folks will buy the newer console and just as the old consoles the PS3 will just gather dust in a closet somewhere.

Collapse -
Just Greed
by mdaneker / April 3, 2012 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Used Games

The ploy is two-fold, first cut off the used game trade, destroy any retailer other than the wal-marts, targets and amazon who rely on trade-in credits to sell new games and recoup the money.

Second, create a larger re-sell market, the new trick is to only allow gamers to play older games by paying for them a second time and downloading them to their consoles.

This is not a way to make a living, this is a way to strangle the consumer and squeeze ever penny from them. The small polish developers that produce the Witcher games sell them DRM free and don't churn out quicky, crap titles to try and make a fast buck, yet they are extremely prosperous.

Collapse -
Just say NO !
by glva / April 3, 2012 4:33 AM PDT

Stand up and JUST SAY NO. If you say no, prices will come down. Save your money and store food for the coming collapse of the dollar or buy silver vs a new machine and software.

Collapse -
If the Price is Right!
by wcampbel / April 3, 2012 5:24 AM PDT

I think this model could work if the pricing is right for consumers. They would definitely need to lower the prices for new games for this to go over well with consumers, especially considering that games would then have no resale value since they cannot be reused by another user.

Collapse -
What kind of cloud cuckoo land is that!!
by gbswales1 / April 3, 2012 5:25 PM PDT
In reply to: If the Price is Right!

A company would restrict sales to new products so that they could reduce the price - hell no if anything having removed the alternative second hand market they would increase the price of the popular must have games. Sony were at one time a highly respected electronics company that produced quality equipment but like almost all the media industry they have become obsessed with protecting profits by application of restrictive practices. Some argue that game developers suffer because of second hand games - I imagine they suffer much more by being tied to these big name companies that will pay them no more than they have to to keep them locked in.
When I found that Sony were using controls on DVDs, to prevent them from being played on a PC, I stopped buying their products so consequently would never buy a play station anyway. Hopefully this kind of thing might persuade more people to develop games for PC and Macs - it has always struck me that consoles are just a way of getting people to buy another computer!

Collapse -
No new console until 4k TVs are affordable.
by texxasmike / April 3, 2012 5:48 AM PDT

Before I buy a new console that does not support used games means the console must rock awesome hardware. It must support multiple screens (3) at 4K resolution in 3D and support 7.1 sound. The game system must use top of the line hardware - that will handle games at less than 80% of the hardware potential.
I think its time that game console makers also look into making game consoles modular for easy upgrades and repairs. Release the PS 4 and then offer modules for the PS3 PS2 and PS so I can play my older games and Sony can earn additional revenue.
Game storage must go up. 1TB is minimum for the game medium.
The game controller must change too. Motion system needs to go super-high resolution to track even the slightest movements and recognize game props (guns, knives, armor etc). Motion controls should be able to put my likeness in the game.
The game publishers will need to come up with innovative games - no more games that just change the background, add a couple of weapons and perhaps change a couple characters - I want real innovation.

Collapse -
Used game restriction
by tach4 / April 3, 2012 6:24 AM PDT

The only way that they can stop second hand games is to put something in the programme to stop you, like a code you have to get which is a one off. But if this happens what happens if your game console stops working .... R you buy a new one plus the game or games again..... More money to pay OUT !!!! .......

Collapse -
New games only
by flrhcarr / April 3, 2012 6:28 AM PDT

Doesn't sound like they were thinking really. The used game market helps the new game market. Perhaps someone will buy new games, if they like the used ones.
We won't even get into companies that rent games, & that small profit group.

I am not a console gamer, I prefer PC, but have been looking into console games more recently. There's a good reason not to buy!
I picked up a refurbed Xbox a few years ago to play a game with a friend, & subsequent new titles. I have been thinking of a PS system, because there are some cool games, but may re-think if the next generation is going to limit my expanding a gaming library. Often I'll rent or buy a used game to play it, or a friend will. If it's fun, one or the other will pick up another copy, & we'll both buy expansions (which is pure profit).

Just my two cents.

Collapse -
Used games
by rick1025 / April 3, 2012 6:51 AM PDT

Who cares, consoles are boring. Bang-bang and hack and slash games are all you can get. Don't own a console and don't want to either. They may be great for kids and teeny boppers that have the attention span of gnats, if you really want to game you need a PC that has better graphics, story-lines and absorbing game play.

Collapse -
My guess is it will go the way of DRM
by bcw142 / April 3, 2012 7:53 AM PDT

My guess is it will go the way of DRM, don't here or see much about that anymore, but it was a big push from Microsoft and others. MP3 kept the market. If the game consoles try that, they are likely to be as successful as DRM was (not successful at all).

Collapse -
No! I will not buy it!
by genebean66 / April 3, 2012 8:32 AM PDT

So what's the old saying goes? That's right- Try it before you buy it! Yea I rarely rent games and I borrow my friends games, If I like it then I buy it mostly new but once in a rare while I'll buy used games, But when buying used I always check the disk to see if its in mint condition No scratches ect.. I some somewhat disagree if the games were lower priced to make up for the crap to lock out rental/used/borrowed games! I still like to use- Try it before you buy it!(Renting/borrowing) Option! now that will be gone! and it will be a hassle to return the game to the store where you bought it from! Hmmm! so if the lock out happens, Lets see States that have sales tax they will lose some revenues and states that lost some good chunk of revenues on used games sales tax, States will find a way to raise and or add new taxes to make up some lost revenues, And it will hurt used and rental business Mom & Pop stores will be hit the hardest! and it will cause some people to lose their jobs!

Collapse -
by l8rb / April 3, 2012 8:49 AM PDT

Sorry kiddoes, I quit throwing away money on games back in the bad ol' "Asteroids", "Don't Care!!!"

More than happy to get paid to install your addictive toys, just not addicted to crass garbage m'self. Music is much cheaper (my way), and MUCH more satisfying.

Collapse -
This is the new reality.
by gsmollin / April 3, 2012 9:40 AM PDT

Copyright laws have been a thorn in the side of the content providers for longer than you kids have been alive. For years, printed books and recorded music and movies have been available to buy used- but not without court battles to enforce the rights of content owners to use their property as they see fit. Now, the content providers are using technical means to accomplish the digital rights management that the copyright laws forbade. Also, they pushed the Millenium Copyright Act through congress expressly to make it illegal to even try to circumvent DRM. Now you should get used to the idea that you cannot buy intellectual property, you can only buy a license to use the IP in the way the content provider allows. Fair use is dead.

Playstation 4 is only the beginning.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.