Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

Useage

by lethal57 / October 3, 2009 7:45 PM PDT

Hi,

I am a little concerned with my ISP monitoring and recording of my Broadband useage.

To this end I started using Rokario Bandwith Monitor some months back, and I have a 100-150 mb variance betweeen what my ISP records me as downloading, and this monitor.....when between 1 and 1.5 GB is downloaded for a session/day.

Long story short, I went back to Rokario to determine how their software recorded its data, after my ISP tech guys phrased the relevant questions (with some nudging), and it apparently uses Windows to record, and does not attached or record modem useage (per se)...accordingly my ISP 'justified' the variance (as it does this).

Notwithstanding all this irregularly I can have variances of up to 1 GB between the 2 recording processes. Yes 1GB!
For example when I download 5Gb, say off peak, the isp is may record 6 to 6.2GB.

Does anyone know of a more 'integral' piece of software that would monitor any of these variances more reliably?

FYI...I am using Win XP Home
and a dlink 502t modem
Intel core2Duo 2.33 ghz processor &
2gb ram with nvidia geforce 8600gt

Appreciate any advise

regards

Lethal

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Useage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Useage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why it varies.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2009 9:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Useage

Let's say you download a 10MB file. Let's not discuss what 10MB is as to BINARY BYTES or DECIMAL BYTES as you can figure that out.

Let's discuss how you get that file.

1. From some web page.
2. From a FTP server.

After you are done, here's the question. Should the byte counter give you the same number of bytes on the meter?
Bob

Collapse -
Useage
by lethal57 / October 4, 2009 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Why it varies.

Hi Bob,

Thanks so much for the response.

Apparently I am such a lay person regarding this (and perhaps other issues) that I found your response a little hard to follow, perhaps even cryptic.
Certainly no offence intended, its just my level of understanding.

Whilst I do understand the issue of the measurements of binary bytes...I do not understand the difference between downloading from an FTP server &/or a webpage.
I am not sure where I should go to 'discuss' or review and learn the downloading of these.

Can you kindly clarify, as I am more than willing to learn.
Perhaps if you could provide a link?

thanks

Lethal

Collapse -
Thanks for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 4, 2009 11:46 AM PDT

It gives me a reference point of where you are today.

Here's the short answer. FTP transfers have less overhead. What happens is that many count the bytes they downloaded by what they got in the PAYLOAD or FILES but discount the overhead of the transfer. I only noted that there is a difference and why one software may count it different from the other.

You can see that both methods are correct. That is the software that told you download 10MB is right. And the software that counted the overhead and reported 12MB is also right. It's all in how we measure.

-> The issue of caps and limits is why your ISP if they do that must tell you where the meter is. That is, what web page you can look at to see where your byte counts are at today.

In closing, many don't secure their wifi network and end up with moochers. Anything less than WPA security is no security. Plenty of articles out there but I hope this helps you see where the measurement problem is. That is, what are we trying to measure?
Bob

Collapse -
Useage
by lethal57 / October 4, 2009 3:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for that.

Hi Bob,

Thanks indeed for that.

Yes I was aware there were headers, and packed data issue and alike which may account for variance in recorded useage, and probably why I get a regular variance of 100-150 mb in 1 to 1.5 gb downloaded.
My concern is focused I suppose, on:
- The large and irregular variance I get every so often (7 to 10 days) of 1.5GB, when downloading 5 odd gb in a session...that neither my isp or others have been able to justify or verify. &
Hence my search for a modem based recording mechanism (monitor).

In regard to moochers and security...is this a similar 'animal' to a leecher? As I have read a bit about these.

regards

Lethal

Collapse -
My router has such statistics.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2009 2:16 AM PDT

So to ask the "modem" it may be hardware dependent. Sorry but I'm left to guess what you have here.

About moochers and such. That issue doesn't apply (almost!) to the usual broadband card from the cell phone companies so I missed if this is the issue/hardware.

If it is then the solution is to ask them where the meter is so you can watch it. My brother has such a card and he tells me he can check his usage.

Sorry I don't have a ready answer but look up NETLIMITER as a way to measure every byte.
Bob

Collapse -
Try asking the dlink?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2009 2:18 AM PDT
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/hacking-the-dlink-502t-router.html notes where they logged in and got the byte counts.

"Get your Internet public IP info:
# ifconfig ppp0
Output:

ppp0 Link encap:Point-Point Protocol
inet addr:61.xxx.xxx.xxx P-t-P:61.xxx.xxx.xxx Mask:255.255.255.255
UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1 ASYMMTU:1500
RX packets:69586 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:62540 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:80566538 (76.8 Mb) TX bytes:5349581 (5.1 Mb)"

Looks like you have it.
Bob
Collapse -
Useage
by lethal57 / October 5, 2009 9:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Try asking the dlink?

Thanks for those posts Bob.

I will review, the link data and the netlimiter.

Apologies if I was a little ambiguious in my comments, I was trying to compare useage (not using windows) so something that attaches to, or records modem useage could be ideal, as you have now done.

regards

Lethal

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.