Linux forum

General discussion

Use PS3 as WiFi card to provide internet to my network?...

by MrKassner / September 29, 2009 9:50 PM PDT

I have been using my laptop lately as a big WiFi card for my network by having it connect to my neighbors WiFi then using a network bridge to send it over Ethernet to my router thus giving me internet to my desktop and everything else. The only problem with this is I don't like the idea of my laptop running 24/7 just to sit there giving the rest of my house internet.

So I was wondering first does Linux have something similar to a network bridge like on Windows, and second if it does could I use it on the PS3 to take my neighbors WiFi and send it out to Ethernet to my router? I currently have Yellow Dog Linux installed on it but I still have the Xubuntu installer CD, so I have the option of either distribution. My desktop and laptop both run Windows 7 64bit.

(Note: My neighbor DOES know I'm using his internet and he has no problem with it, me and him talked all that over a couple days ago.)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Use PS3 as WiFi card to provide internet to my network?...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Use PS3 as WiFi card to provide internet to my network?...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A PC or PS3 would cost more in electricty in a few months
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2009 10:42 PM PDT

Than what I use. I paid 25 bucks for a Netgear WGPS606 which is out of stock there but I do see it around the internet near 30. Setup wasn't hard.
Bob

Collapse -
Yeah but I have no money right now,
by MrKassner / September 29, 2009 10:54 PM PDT

and won't for a very long time. I'm having to make do with what I have, and the only things I have with WiFi capabilities are my PS3 and laptop, my laptop is a cheap one with a tendency to reach temps of 170+F when under heavy use, and still pretty hot 120 to 130F when just idling, so I don't trust it to be running 24/7, while as I've seen people never turn their gaming systems off and not have a problem with it for 10years.

Collapse -
Then back to the laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2009 11:31 PM PDT

My answer is no as to the PS3 but see if others chime in.

I have had laptops pulling duty as servers and here's some tricks I used.

1. If it's XP I install SPEEDSWITCHXP (see google) to clock down the CPU to its lowest speed. Why? For work as a wifi access point all laptops I've seen don't need to run at top speed.

2. Don't close the lid. Leave it open. Even partly open helps the heat get out.

3. Put it on some cooling pad. Even if homemade.
Bob

Collapse -
I've done most of those,
by MrKassner / September 29, 2009 11:43 PM PDT

It's on Windows 7 so I can't do number one but it is set to turn the CPU down to 5% in power settings when not in use.
The screen is always open as the WiFi antenna is in the screen so I need it up to get a good signal.
It's on a cooling pad that has two fans pulling hot air away.

I'm pretty sure the PS3 could do it because I would think you could simply do a kludge and install Windows XP in a virtual machine on the PS3 and use bridge connections in the XP virtual machine. But that wouldn't be a very good fix due to the PS3's limited RAM (who's bright idea was to put 256MB of RAM in a system you can install your own operating system in and need to run the first operating system just to use the second one?).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.