Samsung forum

General discussion

Use of a USB wireless Keyboard with Samsung TV or Blu-Ray?

by rhfritz / February 23, 2010 2:03 AM PST

Both my Samsung TV and Blu Ray support streaming from YouTube. But entering "search" criteria and other text info using a remote is tedious. I plugged in a straight USB keyboard which neither worked nor did I get any indication from the TV or BR that it was even identified. You'd think that since they both have driver support for the $80 wireless dongle, they could've provided driver support for a regular keyboard.

Is there a way to simplify text entry to either of these devices?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Use of a USB wireless Keyboard with Samsung TV or Blu-Ray?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Use of a USB wireless Keyboard with Samsung TV or Blu-Ray?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use of a USB wireless Keyboard with Samsung TV or Blu-Ray?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 23, 2010 4:17 AM PST

There is no keyboard support for the televisions. The television doesn't accept drivers like computers would, and there isn't a method of adding or installing other devices.

Collapse -
What about using a Droid as a remote for a Samsung blu ray
by richards1052 / January 14, 2011 3:55 PM PST

I've lost the remote for my Samsung blu ray & can't enter anything to program it. Is it possible there's a droid app that would turn it into a remote keyboard I could use to program the blu ray?

Any other possibilities?

Collapse -
Replacement of remote vs programming
by WimS_Jr / June 14, 2011 12:46 AM PDT

I am using the Logitech Harmony 1100.
It can replace your remote control and simultaneously replace all your other remote controls.
The nice part is you can programm it to activate multiple devices with one click.
(it will take some exercise and simple programming)
You might use the Harmony One as well depending on the budget.

Collapse -
use of a USB wireless keyboard with samsung tv
by rebechee / November 8, 2011 11:38 PM PST

hi.. i am using samsung 6600 series and it comes with usb port.. the tv still doesn't support the wireless keyboard?

Collapse -
use of a USB wireless keyboard with samsung tv
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / November 9, 2011 1:13 AM PST

Collapse -
List of Wireless Keyboards & Wireless Mouse
by aneeshbansal / March 6, 2013 8:04 PM PST

Send me list of supportive wireless keyboard & wireless mouse

i have Samsung Series 8 LED TV 55" UA55ES8000RL

send it on my mail id

Collapse -
Re: List of Wireless Keyboards & Wireless Mouse
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 7, 2013 12:05 AM PST

Hi aneeshbansal,

Please understand that you're posting on a very old thread, regarding 2010 TV and Blu-ray models, presumably based on the date. The product you listed is a 2012 model: only 2012 and going forward are capable of supporting USB, HID-compliant keyboards.

Unfortunately, I can't provide a list of wireless keyboards and mice because I can't recommend 3rd party products. Also, if I were to list them, the list would be extremely long. I apologize for the inconvenience.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Keyboard mapping
by WhyNine / December 4, 2013 1:51 AM PST

Do you know the mapping between the keyboard and the standard remote control?

Collapse -
I'd start a new discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 4, 2013 2:00 AM PST
In reply to: Keyboard mapping

This thread is more than 1379 days old. But as a remote sends in IR commands and a keyboard usually does not, we would have to discuss how things work and after that discuss how those Android remotes work.

Collapse -
I've found no such list.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 7, 2013 2:28 AM PST

Members do write nice about the Logitech models if your set supports USB HID.

Try to avoid a few things.

1. Posting email in the clear.
2. Posting in many year old discussions.

Collapse -
Keyboard input
by jw650 / February 24, 2010 2:47 AM PST

Actually, there is a way to activate a keyboard (and mouse) by loading the Linux drivers via the Games menu on some models, but none of the built-in applications are designed to use it.

Collapse -
Details please
by rhfritz / February 24, 2010 10:41 AM PST
In reply to: Keyboard input

If you can provide a specific game example I could test, I'd appreciate it.

Collapse -
Keyboard input
by jw650 / February 24, 2010 6:31 PM PST
In reply to: Details please

Check the SamyGo main page for compatibility with your TV model and firmware.

If it says Telnet is enabled, then you should be able to download and install the Mouse and Keyboard extension. Reading the Wiki is advisable before installing anything. There will be more information in the forum.

The download section also contains a virtual machine for running (very) old console games - ScummVM can be loaded to test mouse and keyboard function, even if you don't add any games.

A more exciting option is the experimental port of a web browser, which you can find in the Software forum.

Collapse -
by rhfritz / February 24, 2010 7:11 PM PST

Interesting. Frankly, the BSP's I seen recently all come with a USB driver to support a kbd. You'd have thought the developer working on the firmware for the tv would have had a kbd available simply a debugging aid.
But browser support would be very cool. I appreciate the information.

Collapse -
does it work with the samsung smart tv d6100
by alijav / June 14, 2012 8:30 AM PDT

I have a Samsung smart TV D6100. how would i know if this TV will allow the install, I dont want to mess up the software in ttying to make it work.

Collapse -
SamyGo is not something trivial.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2012 8:31 AM PDT

I see no sign of any Samsung support. Your choice and risk.

Collapse -
Samsung's TV Remote App for iPhone has a keyboard!
by cargun / May 15, 2010 3:57 AM PDT

And it's free. Go to app store and search for Samsung.

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 17, 2010 11:25 AM PDT

Well, how do you like that? I didn't even know about that. I'll have to look into this.

Collapse -
by jw650 / May 17, 2010 5:43 PM PDT

This is only for 2010 models with Wireless Remote capability. They weren't available when this thread started!

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / May 21, 2010 5:31 PM PDT

I've looked for this application, but couldn't find it. Do you have a link for it?

Collapse -
Samsung TV Remote
by avfanatic / May 22, 2010 12:12 AM PDT

I found the TV remote too! If you go to the itunes store, type samsung tv remote and it should come up.

Collapse -
Works on the iPad too!!
by jsschafer / September 22, 2010 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Samsung TV Remote

The Samsung TV app works great on the iPhone and iPad.....TV prompted me that a new remote wanted access....granted it and up and running. Instant keyboard

Collapse -
Samsung's TV Remote App for iPhone has a keyboard
by whiskeyfl / December 5, 2010 11:11 AM PST

Has anyone got a suggestions for a keyboard for the blu ray player that comes in the ht-c6900w. The app doesn't seem to support anything but the tv and my samsung tv doesn't have anything but a wired connection which i currently don't have in place.

Collapse -
App for Samsung Blu Ray
by tonystlee / February 1, 2011 12:56 PM PST

Do they have an app for Android?

Collapse -
RE: cargun Samsung's TV Remote App
by CPotts80 / September 7, 2011 11:23 AM PDT

Downloaded the Samsung remote app to my Ipod today. It uses the virtual keyboard and works perfectly with my Samsung 6050. Seems Samsung could make a querty remote that works with ALL its smart televisions Thank you cargun for this lead

Collapse -
Virtual Keyboard
by pbereau / September 12, 2011 12:36 AM PDT

Hi...I too downloaded the app and it turns my iPad into a remote, but how do you access the virtual keyboard - I still only see the letters/numbers on the screen and have to scroll to each letter for entering purposes. If I could access the iPad's virtual keypad, that would be FANTASTIC!! Let me know. Thanks!

Collapse -
Samsung RMC30C2 Remote Control
by Mexkarola / January 15, 2011 12:01 PM PST

Ok, so I bought the touch screen remote because like you I hated entering the text with my number pad. The only issue I have now is that I only have a Samsung HT-C6730W Blu-Ray Home Theater System and I don't know how to use the keyboard function when its in my Blu-Ray mode and not in TV mode.

Collapse -
Samsung Smart TV Virtual Keyboard
by vpermakoff / May 15, 2011 11:54 PM PDT

You can try It works with regular remote control and I was able to type "Lord of the Rings" in 4 clicks (besides moving cursor), not bad.
The tirck is to enter URL for the first time, but if you will set it as a homepage for TV browser, it will always stay there and allow you easily enter queries and navigate to other sites and URLs.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.