Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Use microphone with G5 PPC Analog Audio Line-In Port

by rcmick64 / February 17, 2010 12:45 AM PST

As noted; I have a G5 PPC operating with OS X 10.5.8.

I am wanting to use a microphone plugged into the Audio Line-In Port on the rear of the computer. Can you offer a suggestion as to what manufacturer and model does a nice job of laying down a voice track (no singing involved). According to the Power Mac G5 Guide this microphone would need to be a "self-powered" mike.

Which leads to a secondary question of why did Apple include a "non-self-powered" mike with the computer?

Thank you

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Use microphone with G5 PPC Analog Audio Line-In Port
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Use microphone with G5 PPC Analog Audio Line-In Port
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Self Powered Mic,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 17, 2010 4:53 AM PST

If the mic, that was included with your computer, came from Apple, then it should work.

What makes you think it is a "non-self-powered" mic?

If probably has a longer than usual connector (pin) on it and draws its power from inside the socket.

Did you try it?

P

Collapse -
(NT) Personally, I use a USB mic
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 17, 2010 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: Self Powered Mic,
Collapse -
Mic
by rcmick64 / February 17, 2010 7:04 AM PST

Everything else works but the mic. Even a poor quality Mic that I don't want to use.

Collapse -
Use a USB Mic
by rcmick64 / February 17, 2010 7:12 AM PST
In reply to: Mic

mrmacfixit

How do they work? Just connect and use?? I want to use this to lay a voice sound track in iMovie and that only offers the "Built in Audio" as a source for this voice over? Does this become another choice or do I need to make some setting changes somewhere?

Is there one you would recommend?

Collapse -
USB Mic
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 17, 2010 9:04 AM PST
In reply to: Use a USB Mic

I have a Logitech headset with mic.

You just connect it to the USB port and it becomes an option in the sound preference pane.

Quality is very good, for a headset, but there are much better ones out there. Think I paid around $15 for them.

Google for USB microphone or take a look at the Logitec site

P

Collapse -
G5 & a microphone
by rcmick64 / February 17, 2010 9:38 AM PST
In reply to: USB Mic

Thank you much. Will look into that.

Collapse -
USB Mike & Headset
by rcmick64 / February 17, 2010 9:57 AM PST
In reply to: USB Mic

This may get a little stupid sounding but your headset; what is it for? Can the system react both ways (audio in & audio out) through the USB?

Collapse -
Indeed it can,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 17, 2010 9:00 PM PST
In reply to: USB Mike & Headset

I use the headset for Skype, iChat and on-line Flight Simulation.

P

Collapse -
Mike & Headset
by rcmick64 / February 17, 2010 9:44 PM PST
In reply to: Indeed it can,

Didn't realize there were so many reasons for a headset. Looked at Logitech headset and mike on MacConnection, saw about 26 reviews on this item, 20 gave it rave review with 15 making it 5 out 5 star and the others 4 out 5. They used for reasons you sited and some gaming. Guess I need to get out a little more.

Going to order a Logitech later today.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
(NT) You're Welcome
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 18, 2010 3:24 AM PST
In reply to: Mike & Headset
Collapse -
USB Logitech Mic & Headset
by rcmick64 / February 18, 2010 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: You're Welcome

MRmacfixit

Bought a Logitech Clear Chat Comfort headset and mic and it is sensational. Can't understand what's not to like.

Problem solved. Thanks again.

Bob Moffett

Collapse -
Always nice to hear from
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 18, 2010 8:38 AM PST

a satisfied customer.

Thank you

Enjoy

P

Collapse -
In-Line port not Mic Port
by LinuxRules / February 27, 2011 9:34 PM PST
In reply to: Self Powered Mic,

Ay, I see that you found how Apple stuck it to its customers, once again, you would think a higher priced computer would out shine a M$ machine. The port on the Mac is for in-line (powered sources) only, no 'regular' mic will work. You will need a usb mic or an external mic input via usb.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.