Internet Service Providers forum

Question

Use external usb modem on serial network IP camera

by slacsteve / February 29, 2012 9:34 AM PST

I have an Axis 2110 Network IP Camera which has been in use standalone with an external US Robotics V.92 modem sending an image every 15 minutes to my ISP/web site. Now I would like to run borth on solar 12 volt power. I'd rather not use an inverter which may not be efficient. Can I use a USB dongle external modem with the DB9 serial connection to the NetCam?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Use external usb modem on serial network IP camera
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Use external usb modem on serial network IP camera
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
A qualified yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 29, 2012 9:43 AM PST

If you know how to create the solution, then yes. But I found it easier to replace this with some android cell phone. We cheated big time and used a common Virgin Mobile phone at 35 bucks a month which here is cheaper than any USB broadband stick.

And it avoids you creating some box to convert the 232 to USB and a few months of board and code creation.

I'm not kidding you here. The office I'm in is doing a similar system on a grand scale and so the answer is yes but.
Bob

Collapse -
Cell phone takes and sends pictures?
by slacsteve / February 29, 2012 12:02 PM PST
In reply to: A qualified yes.

So do I understand that the cell phone does it all including taking the snap shot and sending it to the website? Is there an app for that?

Collapse -
Too many apps for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 29, 2012 12:40 PM PST
Collapse -
Thanks
by slacsteve / February 29, 2012 8:50 PM PST

There seem to be many apps that appear to do exactly what I want. AndIPCam for one. I just need to be rue they can FTP over the cellular network as I don't have wifi in the field.

Collapse -
"rue"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 29, 2012 10:38 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

The current Android and even the iPhone can do this with code that a beginner programmer could whip up. Again, too many apps in the androidcloudcam area to say you should write your own but there could be some spec you need to hit and that's why I'd write my own.

I did encounter someone that was using dial up for cost but they were paying over 35 bucks a month for the dialup so the cell phone won the cost angle.
Bob

Collapse -
Programming iPhone and Android Apps
by slacsteve / February 29, 2012 11:16 PM PST
In reply to: "rue"?

How do I get started in developing apps. I have iPhone, touch, iPad, But also would like to try Android.

I have much programming expereince, recently with arduino and similar PIC systems.

Dialup is cheaper $100/year. Cheapest 3G starts at $35 which is a concern.

The low power and integration of camera and ftp internet is very appealing compared to my old Axis Net Camera and US robotics modem and the need to invert 12 volts for the wall warts.

Collapse -
For android apps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 29, 2012 11:22 PM PST

I would start with google.com and ask how to develop android apps (at that site.) All the tools are free.

Good to hear that in this case dialup is cheaper. It wasn't at the remote location in BC, Canada which was the last time this came up.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.